Thread: Rebarrlel axis to 280AI

Rebarrlel axis to 280AI

I have an axis 308 that I want to rebarrel. I was looking at 280 AI. I will have to buy the Long Action magazine and the barrel of course. My question is, do I need to get a different bolt head? I have read different things online and wanted to know if anybody has done this swap. I don't think its common since 308 is SA vs 280 LA, however my understanding is the AXIS is built on a long/longer action.
    If this idea is a fail, ill probably just look at 260. But I wanted to see if this had been done, or what issues may come up.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonSh View Post
    I have an axis 308 that I want to rebarrel. I was looking at 280 AI. I will have to buy the Long Action magazine and the barrel of course. My question is, do I need to get a different bolt head? I have read different things online and wanted to know if anybody has done this swap. I don't think its common since 308 is SA vs 280 LA, however my understanding is the AXIS is built on a long/longer action.
    If this idea is a fail, ill probably just look at 260. But I wanted to see if this had been done, or what issues may come up.
    The 280 AI should run the same bolt face as 30-06, .308, 260 Remington. The Axis is built off of a Medium length action and does accommodate long or short action cartridges. The difference between the LA or SA configuration is determined by the trigger guard assembly used when configuring the rifle (With the synthetic OEM stock)

The easiest way around that in my opinion is to get an aftermarket stock like a Boyds (but buy in LA), buy a long action mag, swap out to your new barrel, put it all back together and go have some fun. You will probably want to pillar the stock later on, if you go with a Boyds (I have pillared all of mine).