Thread: I've decided to buy a Savage combo. Which one?

I've decided to buy a Savage combo. Which one?

Hey folks! I'm a new member here and am looking for advice/opinions.
    I've decided I'm going to buy a Savage combo.
    I'm already settled on the 6.5 Creedmoor as the cartridge, but which combo?
    I'm specifically looking for straight out of the box accuracy, reliability and simplicity.
    Apex? Axis? XP?
    I'll be using it strictly for deer hunting and I want a rifle that I can sit in the deep woods one day where bottom of the stand shots are probable and sit on the field or powerlines the next!
    Researching all the Savage models available has become confusing, so I'd like real user experince to help me make a decision.
    Any advice or opinion would be greatly appreciated!
    I'm pretty well maxed out at $650 on the budget.
    Thanks for your help!!!

I recently bought the Savage 110 Apex Predator XP in 6.5 from Smoky Mountain Guns and Ammo for $509 shipped. Comes with the Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x44 too, and has a camo stock. Heck of a deal I think. Fluted barrel and threaded for a muzzle brake.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    All the scopes offerd on the combos are going to be entry level, < $150 value. Unexceptable for some, OK for others.

Basic Member
    I got my Axis from Walmart and I love it. Once I found out how well it shot I got a Vortex Diamondback scope and Boyd's stock for it.

But, I think this one is a much better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by agilmore01 View Post
    I recently bought the Savage 110 Apex Predator XP in 6.5 from Smoky Mountain Guns and Ammo for $509 shipped. Comes with the Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x44 too, and has a camo stock. Heck of a deal I think. Fluted barrel and threaded for a muzzle brake.

If you can find a store that will let you pick up and cycle a rifle pick one that feels the best in your hands, but every rifle is an individual. I've had several 110' s that cycled and shot great but I now use Axis'. They work great too. A simple trigger $1 fix and $5 for some rockite in the stock and for occasional deer hunting and some paper shooting it will be just great. I'm not sure how many 6.5Creed Savage packages they have but sure you will be pleased.

I'd stick with a combo based on the 110 action. (this includes 11,12, 14, 16, short action models since you're looking for 6.5creed) They're the flagship of the Savage lineup and have been in continuous production since 1958 for a reason. be aware that any of the package guns are going to be entry level and may not have the same features as their stand alone counterpart even though they may share the same model number. They come with various entry level scopes so you're on your own with that decision.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    An Axis II is hard to beat for the money. For $300 you can get the 6.5 Creedmoor in an accurate gun with a great trigger.
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/sava...68-axis-ii-no/

If you don't mind a non-AccuTrigger then Classic Firearms has the Axis in 6.5 Creedmoor for $266 right now. The non-AccuTrigger is actually a pretty decent trigger considering the price. It is fine for hunting in my opinion.
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/sava...blueded-black/

Plus Savage is offering a 10% rebate on top of those prices. The stocks may not lend themselves well to target shooting from a bench, but both guns are just as accurate in the field as a more expensive rifle. If your shooting free standing or leaning up against a tree branch, then there are other things effecting your accuracy more than the stock.

For a price that low, you could spend more on the scope, which would be well worth it. Save money on the stock and spend more on the scope and practice ammo.

Savage combo

Your right, there are lots of models of savages and it can be confusing! I bought a savage 16 (in 308). I could only get it cheap in a box store (sportsman guide), and bought it with a rebate. I live in the northeast and the humidity is bad news on steel, so I picked that model because its stainless. (My Remington 870 shotgun rusts like crazy, so I have to clean it a lot). The negative with the 16 package is that you are buying a cheap scope. But the scope worked fine for hunting where I was. Eventually I replaced my scope to a swfa so I could bang steel out to 1k with it. I also upgraded my stock from the regular plastic stock to a houge stock with full aluminum bed. My groups went from 1 Moa to 1/2 Moa or less with that stock upgrade ($230). Many people have better groups right out of the box with the plastic stock. YMMV. The 6.5 cm is a very accurate caliber, and the smaller calibers generally group pretty well, so I would expect sub Moa or would be disappointed. Anyway, for deer hunting out to 250 or even 300 yards with the Nikon scope that came in the package with my savage, and the plastic stock is more than enough accurate to deer hunt with. If you are shooting longer distances, Kentucky windage while hunting can be done with that scope, but a better scope with reliable turrets to dial elevation would be better. That affects your $650 budget. It sounds like for your purposes, the stock and scope will be fine. If stainless doesn't matter to you, the box stores sell the savage 12FV for a pretty cheap price-- much cheaper than the savage 16. I would consider that over the axis, only because the action is a more standard action for aftermarket parts and it comes with accutrigger, which I like. But many have had great luck with their axis and have very accurate guns, so I am not knocking the axis-- I just am not familiar with them and am going by what I have heard. You won't go wrong with any savage though, and the great thing about the savages are the ability to switch barrels quite easily with some cheap tools and go/no go gauges. GOOD LUCK! Mike

For $500 the Savage 110 Apex Predator XP combo is hard to beat.

Ok....I'm gonna go with the Apex Predator XP in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I thank ya'll for taking the time to give me your input.
    Now I gotta find an FFL holder that I can order the combo thru!
    Thanks a bunch!!

https://www.smga.com/savage/110-apex...-w-vortex-5632