Thread: Blind Magazine - Compatabiltiy Question

Blind Magazine - Compatabiltiy Question

I have a 110 flat top receiver, currently set up in 300 WM. It is a stagger feed, blind mag well set up. I would like change over to 35 Whelen. Aside from the barrel and bolt face changes, I was wondering if the blind mag for the 300WM would work for the 06 family of cartridges, or if I would need to either source a proper mag for the 35 Whelen, or modify the one I already have. Not sure how critical any difference in the feed lips is to reliability.

Thanks in advance for the advice. I tried to check the site for the info, but could not find it. I am sure it is there, as there is a wealth of info, but couldn't seem to find the answer.

A little more info, I can load the original 300 WM magazine with 30-06, it holds 4 rounds, but the bolt face only catches a small portion of the rim when pushing the round forward. SO, yes, it does work, but I am concerned that it may not properly feed (bolt head may slide over the top of the round and not push feed) 100% of the time. Any suggestions, perhaps alter the feed lips? That seems to be the only noticeable difference between the mags for the 2 rounds.

As an aside, I have an old early-style Detachable Mag that is stamped for 270/7mm rounds. So perhaps there is no difference at all? I would just use this but I want a synth stock, and I am left handed, so there are no real options.

Thanks again, I would appreciate any guidance or input you can provide.

Bump, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction on this question. Thank you!

Looks like you have already answered your own question for the most part.

When it comes to converting to cartridges that were never offered by the factory you can pretty much guarantee you're going to have to do some fiddling with the magazine to get it to feed reliably. You've already done the hard part of determining if your current magazine will hold and feed the new cartridge, so it's just going to be a matter of tweaking the feed lips as needed. That said, the magazine used for the belted magnums and the .30-06 family of cartridges were different, so if you can find one you might make your life a little easier if you can find the .30-06 box and follow.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Looks like you have already answered your own question for the most part.

When it comes to converting to cartridges that were never offered by the factory you can pretty much guarantee you're going to have to do some fiddling with the magazine to get it to feed reliably. You've already done the hard part of determining if your current magazine will hold and feed the new cartridge, so it's just going to be a matter of tweaking the feed lips as needed. That said, the magazine used for the belted magnums and the .30-06 family of cartridges were different, so if you can find one you might make your life a little easier if you can find the .30-06 box and follow.
    +1 on this ^^^^
    I made a 7mm mag mag feed 243
    ...lots of tweaking on that one

Team Savage

Stagger feed mag wells and followers are getting difficult to find. I needed a short action stagger feed follower to convert from .223 to .308 family, searched quite a while to find one, then by pure luck while searching Numrich one day saw they had a nice used one in stock which I purchased immediately.

Find someone to swap with.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.