Thread: New member from washington/idaho border

Basic Member

New member from washington/idaho border

Good morning and happy Easter. I have a Savage Model 99 that I have been studying for awhile with help from the info on this site. I believe I have an idea of the model and manufacture date, but I am not 100% yet, and would like some help. It has a 22" barrel with the ramp front sight (bead), a Redfield base and Redfield Bear Cub 4x Duplex, and a Marble tang peep sight and no rear sight came with it, but it is dovetailed and D&T for one. The forearm has what I would describe as a "M" checkering pattern, which wraps all the way around (looks like a capital M when the gun is standing in the corner) and a post for a sling. It also has 2 thin lines which wrap around the forearm in front of the checkering and post. Behind the receiver, the wood has raised panels in sharp V, pistol grip with checkering and a straight stock and straight metal buttplate and a cap on the pistol grip. The lever is case colored and it has a brass counter for the rotary magazine with a cocking indicator behind the action. After deciding to not concern myself with the sights and only focus on the rifle, I think it is a early "R" model. The serial# 356082 (that's it, no letters) could put it at 1936, but above the hinge of the lever there is what looks to be either a "Q" or a small "a" stamped.
    On the left side of the barrel it reads .250-3000 SAVAGE with a sideways oval and inside SP, the curve of the "P" is not noticeable. On the right side of the barrel it is stamped HIGH PRESSURE STEEL - PROOF TESTED, and on top of the barrel, SAVAGE ARMS CORPORATION, UTICA,N.Y. - MADE IN U.S.A.

I would like to know if my assumption of it being a early "R" model and the date of manufacture of 1936 is correct? Any information is appreciated and I know I could be absolutely wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. Thanks for the help.

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Team Savage
    howdy

Welcome,
    Your post will most likely attract a more knowledgeable answer if placed in the appropriate forum with a good heading.
    Lots of good info and knowledgeable folks. I'd try the "vintage" section
    Again Welcome and I hope you enjoy it here.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Hello and thanks for the advice>

Welcome to the forum.
    Ackley was right all along