Thread: Kicking Mule

Kicking Mule

Hey guys. I was hoping someone here might shine some light on the Model 750. I always wanted a hump-back and have alway owned Savage, so it seemed like an inherent decision I choose this old gun. I am very familiar with the Auto 5 by Browning but don't seem to remember the recoil being so stiff. Is this the nature of the flat wound spring utilized by Savage, or is it warranting replacement parts? I just wanted another opinion on the matter. For reference-it feels about the same as a 110 30.06 with a metal butt plate. Rings/friction pieces are good and installed in both light and heavy positions with not a great deal of improvement, though noticeable. Can the recoil spring and friction parts be interchanged with the round-wire springs of the same era Brownings? Thanks!

I always thought you could swap parts out with the Browning but never owned a 750, I have owned 720's that I swapped Browning parts into.

What I don't get is how changing the spring will help recoil? It's usually a weight issue. Did someone maybe hog out the buttstock or lighten the gun somehow? I know for a fact my 720's didn't have half the recoil my old 99F in 300 Savage had, that rifle was down right ignorant.

I was always under the impression that all the recoil spring did was keep pressure on the rounds in the tube to push them into position when the gun was looking for another round after firing.
    Savage- "never say never".

All I can say is after shooting 12ga Remington 11-87s and 1100s for years, Dads ol humpback Browning Sweet 16 has surprisingly stiff recoil. I dont seem to remember it being that harsh as a younger man. Though taking his old gun along and shooting a couple out of it for sentimental reasons each dove season stirs emotions, I much prefer my Remington gas operated guns when spending weekends in the dove field.
    That and 16ga shells are comparatively ridiculously pricey and hard to find locally.
    In my opinion if it's been a while since you shot a humpback, especially if you've been shooting a gas operated autoloader in the meantime, then it's just the nature of the beast with the humpback design.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Fair enough. Thanks for the input. I shot 100's of rounds in winter league with an 1100. Put 10 down range with the 750 and was over it for the day. LOL. It hasn't been modified or lightened. It is essentially the light Browning made with an aluminum receiver. I will throw some new springs at it and update the post with my findings...

I don't know about the Savage, but the A-5 and Remington M11 both relied on friction of the beveled parts and rings to keep the barrel from recoiling back too harshly. I don't know if there is any way to regulate that friction.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

The only way to regulate the friction is through the resistance of the recoil springs, providing the friction parts are not compromised. I suspect those maybe the originals. I will give that a whack and see.