Thread: Short cartridges in Long Action

Short cartridges in Long Action

Just talked to a Tech at Savage and was told that the Axis magazines are so cartridge specific that short cases cannot be cycled through the long action mags. If the cartridge head is the same size, why would they not cycle? I wouldn't think a shorter length would be a problem ie., a .308 or .257 Roberts in a .270/30-06 mag. since all of these have the same case head size. If this sounds stupid, please excuse my Mauser mind.

Basic Member
    I would agree with you on that. Case length should not matter if the case is shorter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I have to call BS on that. I took a Savage 111 chambered in .270 Winchester and tore it apart just for the action. I put a CBI Chambered in 260 Remington on it (short action cartridge) swapped out the stock, and bottom metal (using the same exact magazine). Mine feeds better from the magazine then it does single loading it.

6.5 Creedmoor may have a feeding issue "maybe".

Basic Member
    Depends on case taper and how high the nose is as it nears the chamber. A long mag may not feed a shorter cartridge correctly cause it is meant to tip the longer cartridge correctly. All depends on how long the feed lips are and the angles involved. You can always try one and see if it works.

do it
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Or use the right magazine.....
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    I am currently running 300wsm rounds in a 110 338 Lapua magazine and action. I cut the front off the follower in one of my mags and installed a piece of plastic to promote proper feed angle, but the other mag has no issues. I can seat bullets as long as I want which is great for a ELR gun shooting 210gr bullets out of a 29" barrel. I could see some shorter cartridges trying to jam up in a longer mag when the bolt is pushing forward and all of a sudden they want to tip down. Also rounds under the top one may want to slide forward and back creating a jam up.

Sharpshooter, The only problem with using the right magazine for longer cartridges is that I won't be using a Savage stock. Doing a "switch barrel" set up and the stock I am planning to use has a set magazine well size. If someone makes a variable mag well conversion, it would make things so much easier but I know of no one who does this. Am looking at the Boyds Pro Varmint stock for the Axis. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    God Bless and shoot safe.
    Gripmaker

Basic Member
    I like the Pro Varmint stock on my Axis. Also added some weight to it which was good for me. Mine is a .223 so the mags are quite a bit different.

I built my 6.5 Creedmoor on a long action that was originally 30-06. The Creedmoor rounds feed just fine for me.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67