Thread: Initial Cleaning Help

Basic Member

Initial Cleaning Help

I finally got around to cleaning my 110 Tactical in 308 and I'm literally stumped. I'm using a Tipton bore guide, Tipton carbon fiber rod, bore brush, and a brass jag with Hoppes 9. I started out by passing a wet patch on a jag through the bore. I then followed up with several passes using a wetted bore brush. I then followed up with wet patches until they came clean. I repeated with the wetted brush and then back with the wetted patches. I've gone through through probably 10 rounds doing this and every wetted patches that follows the brush comes out black. Am I doing something wrong here? Or do I need to keep going and it'll come clean after the brush at some point? I've never had to clean a barrel this much.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Try some Butches' Bore shine, or Shooters' Choice. Hoppes' used to be good bore solvent until the early 70's, at which time they removed the nitro methane, essentially diluting it and and making it very less effective. The Hoppes on the market now wouldn't even make good weed killer. But it sure smells good!
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Try some Butches' Bore shine, or Shooters' Choice. Hoppes' used to be good bore solvent until the early 70's, at which time they removed the nitro methane, essentially diluting it and and making it very less effective. The Hoppes on the market now wouldn't even make good weed killer. But it sure smells good!
    Oh crud... I was planning on going shooting this afternoon (17th) and I don't have any of that stuff. Is there anything else I can use like brake cleaner, WD40, or something else? Thanks.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I would go and shoot it.
    Clean it when you get the suggested cleaners
    Jack

When I buy a new gun I take the stock off and give it a good bore wipe-down with Berkebile 2+2 Gum Cutter (a spray Carb cleaner). It removes all machining oils, metal protectants and any "varnished" oils dried in the bore. DO NOT get it on a stock as it will remove the finish.

Then I oil it with a good penetrating oil.

For cleaning after shooting I have been using Barnes CR-10 solvent and like the results. Wipe, let it sit a minute, then repeat. Then B-C Barricade as a storage/protectant oil
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    You are going to get 100 different suggestions from 100 different posters on cleaners. I will not do so EXCEPT in my own humble opinion

1. Some powders shoot a lot dirtier than others.

2. If you are using anything to get rid of copper, use a wet bronze brush for the cleaning and then patch wet using a nickel or aluminum jag and then dry with patches and the same non brass/bronze jag. Otherwise, you are having the solvent react to the brush and your patches will be forever aqua/blue. If your rod has a brass tip into which your jag screws on, you will have the same problem. I personally use a good bore guide, a stainless steel rod and an aluminum jag. With a good bore guide, you will not be scratching the bore with the stainless steel rod.

Basic Member
    If your little heart so desires to use WD-40 on a firearm please restrict it's use to external wipe down. When the carrier dries it will start to gum things up. As fothergill said you will get a hundred different answers as to what to use. I agree hoppes is deluted way down. Personally I use Montana extreme till clean then dry and run wet alcohol patch thru the bore, dry patch again an then damp not wet oil patch followed by loose dry patch to get any excess oil out. Following those instructions with any of the good cleaners will get your barrel clean. How long it takes depends on how dirty it is.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)