Thread: Left hand aftermarket options

Left hand aftermarket options

Hey! Brand new to the forum but have learned a lot from looking around here. I have a Left handed model 11 in .260 that I’m going to be rebarrelling to 7mm-08. Barrel should be here this week!
    I would like to upgrade the stock and the bolt handle as well. It’s a bottom bolt release and I think Boyd’s is all I’ve found for this action. I do like Boyd’s but just trying to figure what else is out there first. Also would like to find a stainless bolt handle. I’ve found a couple but all seem to be the large “tactical” style. Any factory size out there that are a little more stylish?
    Thanks!

Banned
    Nm

I got a good deal on the rifle which just happened to be.260. Bought with the intention of rebarreling to get a SS barrel. Was torn between.260 and 7mm-08. Ended up going with the 7mm-08 because of the availability of heavier bullets. This will be a short (20”) barrel hunting rifle, 99% whitetail but also planning on taking our horses out west for elk soon

I am in the same boat looking for lefty parts. I didn't want to use a boyds stock so I am stuck having to go with a McMillan. It is costly but with weight and all other things considered it was my best option. Being a long action cut a lot of options out for me also. Short action I am thinking that Bell & Carlson had some options. Choate makes a very nice stock but it is very heavy.

Stockade gun stocks made me a real nice custom left hand stock for my model 16 7mm-08.

Quote Originally Posted by insidetheten View Post
    Stockade gun stocks made me a real nice custom left hand stock for my model 16 7mm-08.

What did the stock weigh and which one did you get. I was just looking at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most any right hand synthetic can be made into a left hand stock by filling the RH bolt cutout with epoxy and cutting a bolt cutout on the left side.
    just throwing an option out there.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Most any right hand synthetic can be made into a left hand stock by filling the RH bolt cutout with epoxy and cutting a bolt cutout on the left side.
    just throwing an option out there.
    Been thinking about trying such a project myself. I would probably first practice on an inexpensive take off stock.

I went with a manners, took a LONG time. But it turned out really well, seemed like they had better customer service than McMillan.

My project is definitely long term so the wait wasn’t an issue, YMMV.

Team Savage
    I know (from experience) that you can build a lefty stock out of a righty. Some of the newer models have the bottom bolt release so it would require opening up the inlet for the release lever.
    On the older stocks, as mentioned, just a matter of plugging the right hand bolt handle cut and re cutting it on the left side. Bolt release is the same.
    Ordered up a black and grey laminate, plugged the right hand cut then hit it with a black marker and shot it with clear polly. You can't tell where it was plugged.
    I had one experience when I ordered a right hand thumb hole bench rest style stock cut for a left hand action from a well known laminated stock maker out of So Cal. Got a mirror image inlet with the bolt release cut on the left side. DUH!!!) Trying to explain that situation to the stock cutter was a waste of time. Also, at times, they are not aware of what it takes to keep their cutting tools sharp. Sold it the next day so no real loss except for time. Did get a replacement stock in less than a week so FAST SERVICE can be done in a pinch.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    Richards MicroFit Stocks will cut one for you. You can special order virtually anything, but sometimes they just can't seem to get it right, like a lefty with the bolt release on the wrong side. You's pays your money, and you's takes your chances.

They will need considerable work on your part to sand, finish, bed and pillar but in the end you get a custom made stock at a fraction of the price, not to mention one that YOU made.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Team Savage
    I've always figured Richard's Micro Fit Stocks are the best thing out there!! A selection that's better than anyone else and the price isn't too bad either, compared to some of the others. And any work you put into it makes it YOURS!! I've had them show up looking like they were chopped with a dull axe () to not too bad at all.() Know going in what to expect when it shows up (good or bad) and you're way ahead of the game.
    I think I've had maybe 10 or so over the years. From good to not so good. Still a deal no matter what it looks like.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.