Thread: Leupold two piece base confusion

main residence St. John's NL, cottage Red Indian Lake NL Canada

Leupold two piece base confusion

Hi guys. This is my first post on here. I've only been able to locate the bases for 10/110 round top, 55742. Nowhere do I see a listing for model 11 round top. My son is graduating in 3 weeks and I need to assemble the package in time. I'm getting rumors of the round tops all taking the same bases, but why don't Leupold tell you that on their site. This is the first Savage I've had in my hands since I killed a nice stag Caribou with my Dads 99 and I'm loving the weight and balance of this .308!
    Thanks in advance guys!

Banned
    Nm

Basic Member
    What Dave said. The short action round top base will fit 10/11/12/16 etc. Same goes for the long actions 110 etc. Obviously the short action base won’t fit long action etc

main residence St. John's NL, cottage Red Indian Lake NL Canada
    Thanks guys I'll go ahead and order it.

Banned
    Nm

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    You are correct if planning on a 1 PIECE scope base. The 2 piece scope bases are the same for Long or Short actions. Although I would recommend a 1 piece Picatinny rail....and I would not use Leupold either! I would choose a rail in 7075 T6 Billet over the 6061 T6 that Leupold uses in its bases. Of course if you are using the steel bases/rings that Leupold offers than non of that applies. However those do not provide the achievable accuracy that Picatinny base/rings will.

This is is all my opinion of course and each has a right to their own.
    what are the advantages of going with a one piece Picatinny rail base?

Banned
    Nm

Basic Member
    What Hoback. The less screws and moving parts the better.

Banned
    Nm

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Thank you for that Fotheringill. I’m glad you caught having it as “zero movement” & increased, although makes sense, can sound misleading. I corrected it to what I meant from the beginning, DECREASED!

Oh, and you can call me David, or Dave. I don’t typically go by my last name on its own! LOL.
    Im with Dave as well. Also, my comment was geared towards one piece base. Honestly I don’t even consider a 2 piece base. I also don’t use anything other than picatinny rails on mine with good rings. Seeking/Leupold Mk 4/Badger/NF etc. I level the scope and if I ever need to take off for some reason it is simple to reinstall the base and put the scope back on without much loss of zero and without the need to relevel the scope. 2 piece bases are great if you have issues loading the rifle etc, but for strength and ability to adjust the scope on the rail I see no sense in getting the 2 piece. I also avoid the dovetail/windage adjustable Leupold mounts as well. Unless I’m looking to build cheap, then I consider them. I would use them over weaver rings etc. Those are crap

Banned
    Nm

We all have our opinions and I much prefer 2 piece dual dovetails to a one piece or "tactical rail. Just about every rail I've tried sets the scope up way too high from the get go, that coupled with the shorter length of most modern scope tubes has resulted in the bell hitting the rail before I could get set up with the eye relief where I wanted on several occasions. Also the one piece and rails tend to crowd and limit access to the loading and ejection port and are not only bulkier but heavier than 2 piece. A good set of dual dovetails is as solid a setup as anything out there, the only drawback I'm aware of being they're not really suited for "quick release" applications.
    Here's a great forged steel setup: Leupold bases SKU: 114975 https://www.leupold.com/scope-mounts...ound-rcvr-2-pc and rings SKU: 49894 https://www.leupold.com/scope-mounts/dd-1-in-medium . Probably a little cheaper elsewhere but that's my favorite rock solid way to mount a scope. 2 piece round Savage will fit both long and short action rifles based on the 110 action (including your model 11)
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.