Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show me some Savages in PRS/NRL

Basic Member

Show me some Savages in PRS/NRL

Can anyone point me to examples of Savages being used in PRS/NRL. I'm just getting started and I'll be using the 12LRP with an extended bolt handle and the KSS enhanced extractor/ejector kit

I've heard a few negative comments about using Savages in PRS type matches. The argument is that when running them hard they have a few issues.

occasional Failure to Extract/eject
    Stiff bolt that forces you off target when cycling the bolt.
    Issues with the bolt binding when running the bolt in/out. It happens when you fail to keep in/out pressure inline with the bolt body.

the KSS enhanced extractor has fixed my extraction issues and the extended bolt handle has helped with the bolt. I'm pretty happy with it but don't have much to compare it to. I only noticed the bolt binding when I was looking for the problem. It does bind if I try run the bolt at extreme angles but in normal use, I've never been a problem. If It ever became an issue Ill look into buying the larger bolt body for a tighter fit.

Everyone also agrees that accuracy is great and unless you're competing in PRS type matches those issues don't really matter.

Anyways, I plan on sticking with my 12LRP and would love to see videos of people using them (and other Savages) in PRS matches to motivate myself and get excited with what I'll be using.

Anyone have any links they can share. Maybe some pics of your PRS rifle. They don't usually say what rifle they're using in the PRS/NRL videos I've seen.

Basic Member
    If you've got the extraction issues fixed with the kit, what's left is working some magic on the bolt internals, primary extraction and hand-off timing. There are various sources for information on how to go about doing this yourself if your shop is reasonably well equipped, and there are some gunsmiths who can time and true your action for you. Otherwise, use the search function above and type in what you're interested in .

I prefer extended bolt handles, and have purchased a Savage Tactical bolt handle or two and it does help with bolt opening and extraction, as do the aftermarket handles, some of which are very nice to look at.

Refining the operation of the bolt internals as well as the primary extraction has, in my experienced, yielded the largest amount of improvement when it comes to cycling the bolt quickly and easily. Also be sure the magazine lips are not rubbing against the bolt head as it travels aft, and that the raceways are at least somewhat smooth. If you have a stainless steel action, this tends to be less of a problem.

A rear baffle/bolt handle primary extraction ramp that is a mis-match with the bolt lugs coming out of the abutments will cause all sorts of headaches, but is usually easy to resolve. If you've replaced the bolt handle, you will have changes this timing, so beware and be prepared to make some adjustments.

Others here will have some ideas to share also.

Good luck and good shooting!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Thanks Texas10. I'm not even sure the "stiff" bolt and binding will be an issue. But I know its a common complaint. I'll be paying more attention to it as I run it hard at the range next trip to see if it makes follow up shots or cycling slower. I think it feels pretty good at this point. I had a look at the raceway and it could probably use a good polishing. I'll get that done and see what that does.

I'd really like to see some videos of Savages in action at PRS/NRL events. Post em if you got em folks!

Basic Member
    Get on Youtube and watch the videos on the NRL by Conex Media.

Basic Member
    I will say I fought with all the issues you mentioned for about 6 months worth of shooting PRS matches in the beginning before I finally broke down and built a custom rifle. My scores instantly went up when I no longer had to fight to get the next round in the chamber. Like you my Savage rifles (I had built 6 at the time) had 0 accuracy issues, but the feeding, ejection, and extraction issues were rampant. So, if you come across a Savage action that runs, hold on to it! I've seen them out there, but they are few and far between in my observations since i started competing back in 2014. The tighter bolt body does help with the binding, but it also means less space for dirt and debris which means a little bit of sand and it's going to hang right up (I tried that too).

In the end I sold all my Savages to build and scope a custom rifle. I lost money on everyone of the rifles I had built and would have been money ahead had I just went to a custom in the beginning. I don't hate Savages by any means, but having the right tool for the job helped a lot. Don't dump a bunch of money into the LRP trying to get it to perform, focus on the shooting and when you're ready just go ahead and upgrade.

https://www.precisionrifleseries.com.../shooter/1832/

Basic Member
    My brother finally upgraded from his Savage LRP to a Defiance action after shooting the Savage for 4 years in PRS. He did really well in his local matches, but only middle of the pack at the Heatstroke. He figures the Defiance should net him an extra 10+ points from some of the small things and the speed of cycling.
    He also started with a 260 then to 6.5x47 Lapua then to a 6.5 Creedmoor... now he is a 6.5 Creedmoor fan boy and his 3rd 6.5 Creedmoor barrel is going on his Defiance.

Basic Member
    My brother is in the background of a video of the 2017 Heatstroke open in Oklahoma. It is hard to tell, but he is carrying a Savage.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    My brother is in the background of a video of the 2017 Heatstroke open in Oklahoma. It is hard to tell, but he is carrying a Savage.

Maybe in there somewhere, but I can't tell. Ideally I'd like to see a guy running it hard.
    https://youtu.be/doNkEFKnG70?t=396

Basic Member
    I run a savage in PRS. Granted, I'm just running 3 local matches a month, not every weekend like the pros. But, built correctly by someone who knows the pickadilleys of savage and they'll run just like the others.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A&8's View Post
    I run a savage in PRS. Granted, I'm just running 3 local matches a month, not every weekend like the pros. But, built correctly by someone who knows the pickadilleys of savage and they'll run just like the others.
    I love it. Only 3 our of 4 weekends. You're almost there. You can do it. :). So what do you run? Action/Stock/Bolt/Barrel/Break? And, I think Pickadilleys is my new favorite word.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal326 View Post
    I love it. Only 3 our of 4 weekends. You're almost there. You can do it. :). So what do you run? Action/Stock/Bolt/Barrel/Break? And, I think Pickadilleys is my new favorite word.

I will hit 4 this month (2 day the 27/28th). I own a gun shop which hosts NRL22 matches and teach CCL classes on the weekends. So getting away every single weekend is impossible, especially in the summer months.

I run:
    M12 action, factory target model trigger, Shilen barrel, MPA chassis and brake, Warne base and rings, Athlon Ares ETR scope.

I'm blessed to have apprenticed under an awesome gunsmith back in the middle '90's, who shot 1K BR. So, he showed me a thing or two along the way. The below action was trued and the barrel spun up from a blank in my shop.

Nice setup!

Basic Member
    I ran this Model 12 with GRS Sporter stock in my first ever PRS match last weekend. Only unbraked 308 in the match lol. I ordered a KRG 180 Alpha for the 2 day match in June. Ill be shooting this again in the April 27th Saprl match. It would be nice if they made actual 10rnd mags for savages!! I would have scored another 4-5 points if I had a proper 10rnd mag.

Basic Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	savage 10fp6mmcreedmoor.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	6003Local Colorado. 10FP, X-Caliber 6mm Creedmoor.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A&8's View Post
    I run:
    M12 action, factory target model trigger, Shilen barrel, MPA chassis and brake, Warne base and rings, Athlon Ares ETR scope.

I'm blessed to have apprenticed under an awesome gunsmith back in the middle '90's, who shot 1K BR. So, he showed me a thing or two along the way. The below action was trued and the barrel spun up from a blank in my shop.
    Nice setup. Its great to hear that someone with some know How is running Savage. I'm still running the HS precision traditional stock that came with my 12LRP along with the factory barrel. I've got some time before I need to start barrel shopping but It'll be fun to do the swap myself. I guess I'll see how I feel about everything when I get to that point--New rifle or new barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    I ran this Model 12 with GRS Sporter stock in my first ever PRS match last weekend. Only unbraked 308 in the match lol. I ordered a KRG 180 Alpha for the 2 day match in June. Ill be shooting this again in the April 27th Saprl match. It would be nice if they made actual 10rnd mags for savages!! I would have scored another 4-5 points if I had a proper 10rnd mag.
    Ya, the "10 round" mags that hold 9 are pretty annoying. I wounder if they have a thinner follower that'll fix it. Maybe I can file it down a bit. ehh I'll probably wait for someone else to do it first. not sure I want to mess up my $90 mag yet. Do they run good for you?

I was at the range today and experienced a few failures to feed and tracked the issue down to an improperly seated magazine. It looks like I should be good if I insert and apply pressure on the rear of the magazine before clicking it in. The lip on the rear of the magazine just wedges itself in the magazine well and not go all the way in if you insert it wrong. It doesn't happen often but I should be able to correct the issue.

I'm at the point where if I can consistently seat my magazines correctly and can keep good even pressure when I'm running my extended bolt then the rifle should run great. Extraction issue was fixed with the aftermarket parts so Hopefully this covers most of the issues with Savages in PRS.

Have you experienced any of these issues?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonCO View Post
    Local Colorado. 10FP, X-Caliber 6mm Creedmoor.
    Nice, you run it in any matches yet? I guess if you're running 6mm Creedmoor than you probably are. At some point I need to get behind a chassis and see why everyone's been making the switch.

What rear bag are you using? I've got a couple of Midway USA bags that work great as rear squeeze bags but they are too full so they won't sit on a thin barricade without falling off. I'm looking at the SAP solo sack or the wiebad fortune cookie mini. Maybe even the Pint-Sized game changer but I like the $60 price of the other two.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal326 View Post
    Nice setup. Its great to hear that someone with some know How is running Savage. I'm still running the HS precision traditional stock that came with my 12LRP along with the factory barrel. I've got some time before I need to start barrel shopping but It'll be fun to do the swap myself. I guess I'll see how I feel about everything when I get to that point--New rifle or new barrel. Ya, the "10 round" mags that hold 9 are pretty annoying. I wounder if they have a thinner follower that'll fix it. Maybe I can file it down a bit. ehh I'll probably wait for someone else to do it first. not sure I want to mess up my $90 mag yet. Do they run good for you?I was at the range today and experienced a few failures to feed and tracked the issue down to an improperly seated magazine. It looks like I should be good if I insert and apply pressure on the rear of the magazine before clicking it in. The lip on the rear of the magazine just wedges itself in the magazine well and not go all the way in if you insert it wrong. It doesn't happen often but I should be able to correct the issue.I'm at the point where if I can consistently seat my magazines correctly and can keep good even pressure when I'm running my extended bolt then the rifle should run great. Extraction issue was fixed with the aftermarket parts so Hopefully this covers most of the issues with Savages in PRS.Have you experienced any of these issues?
    I have very few factory parts left on this gun. I think only the action, trigger and firing pin, and I guess bolt handle are factory. Everything else has been reworked and the action cycled over 30,000 times, so it's pretty smooth. I shimmed my bottom metal so the mags work well with 9 rounds anyway. I'll see if I have any issues at the cactus cup April 27 in Medicine hat. The 2 day in June I'll be switching to a KRG 180 Alpha chassis with 14 round mags!

Basic Member
    Bump for more Savages in PRS? Lets see them.

Banned
    Haven’t done a match but would like to. Little more difficult for me being disabled and no longer driving. It is however exactly what I built it for. Started life as a used model 10 in 243. Replaced barrel with a Shilen iin 260 Rem, and using a modded MDT TAC21 chassis. Also uses several
    parts from PTG, & it’s fed via Magpul AICS Mags.

To those with fussy bolts, I also use a tactical bolt handle from Glades, but the biggest improvement came from using a bolt lift and modifying the cocking piece ramp. I made my own bolt lift that uses a Silicon Nitride ball bearing. And the cocking piece ramp has an upward sloped “horn” before dropping. Taking the horn down down slightly is a nice trick. Lastly, I cut a few coils off the firing pin spring. These mods, in addition to the extended Glades armory bolt handle have made cycling the bolt smooth as silk! After firing it lifts with no biding at all.

110 in 6.5-06, MDT HS3 Chassis, Luth AR buttstock and chubby pistol grip, Atlas bipod, Timney trigger, Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50, Impact precision muzzle brake, factory bolt handle I extended. I had some primary extraction issues at first but the bolt handle extension and modifying the baffle solved it. next one will be a short action.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	savage 110 6.5-06.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	6024

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jsund3 View Post
    110 in 6.5-06, MDT HS3 Chassis, Luth AR buttstock and chubby pistol grip, Atlas bipod, Timney trigger, Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50, Impact precision muzzle brake, factory bolt handle I extended. I had some primary extraction issues at first but the bolt handle extension and modifying the baffle solved it. next one will be a short action.
    Very nice! I have a good friend in Arizona who recently had his old Win mod70 action worked & rebarreled to 6.5-06. Once in awhile I think I should have chosen it over my 6.5-08, lol. The 06 was my first high power rifle. Bought it brand new from my local KMART(back when they sold ‘em)when I turned 18! It was a Mod 111 standard trigger in synthetic stock. Soon after I came across some original M2 AP Black Tips. (This was when I learned it was a TUNGSTEN core which caused it to be AP, NOT TEFLON COATING!!) I’ve also owned a 116 Weather Warrior, SS/Gray laminate stock(BEAUTIFUL rifle), also in 06. Needless to say, mixing my beloved 06’s 63mm case with my favorite caliber of 6.5mm just sounds poetic! But I was set on a SHORT action and still wanted it to be magazine fed instead of single shot. So thank you for mentioning something that brought up some fond memories.

Basic Member
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw3WxUQH88B/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

Hopefully the link works. This is me shooting a tripod stage at the April 27 SAPRL PRS match. Watch what happens on the last round lol. Only other issue I had was on a stage I couldn't quite get my finger in the GRS stock trigger profile properly and I struggled with working the accutrigger blade. Magazines worked flawlessly for 8 and 9 round stages.
    I did see another savage in my squad. He had a 6.5x47 go off in his 6.5 cm chamber. Can you say case head separation!!! He got the case out with a cleaning rod and carried on. Didn't even have to beat the bolt open. I didn't get the story on how he managed to mix the cases up.

Banned
    Oh I can tell you that Donnie! It’s called NEGLIGENCE! Glad he didn’t get hurt or ruin his equipment. And hopefully he learned something.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Oh I can tell you that Donnie! It’s called NEGLIGENCE! Glad he didn’t get hurt or ruin his equipment. And hopefully he learned something.
    I think he said he doesn’t have a 6.5x47 so could have been a mixup at hornady? I know I’ve gotten 22-250 brass in my 220 swift brass before, and a 7mm-08 in my 308 brass, both Winchester though. I think you nailed the most likely cause though.

Basic Member
    Wow, your action looks so smooth and effortless. Nice! Mine'll get there. Ill see if I can get some vid later this month if i make it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast