Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Savage Custom Shop

  1. #1
    joed
    Guest

    Savage Custom Shop

    Well, I threw in the towel on converting my 10fp to .22-250 or .220 Swift. The only Savage barrels I could find were stainless, I want blue. Converting the rifle isn't much cheaper then buying a new gun. Called the Custom Shop to see about ordering something this morning but in 6 hours they haven't responded back. Tried last week too with no luck.

    So I took a ride to one of the gunshops here. Purchased a Remington 700 VS SF 2 in .220 Swift which will be here in 2 days.

    So much for the Savage Custom Shop. I was told by a few people Savage don't respond to phone calls, they were right. I guess things are good at Savage and they don't need the money.

  2. #2

    Re: Savage Custom Shop

    Buying an aftermarket barrel would have been much cheaper than a new gun (Remington or Savage).

  3. #3
    Paid Member wbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Mexico
    Age
    71
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Savage Custom Shop

    It would! ;D

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Age
    53
    Posts
    28

    Re: Savage Custom Shop

    I tried to reach them one day to inquire about the price of an additional barrel for a Savage rifle that I intend to buy. They said it would be about $250.

    When I add in the cost of the tools needed to switch barrels, I too decided that for a little more, could have two rifles and not have to mess around with switching barrels in the field.

  5. #5
    joed
    Guest

    Re: Savage Custom Shop

    Quote Originally Posted by DCM
    I tried to reach them one day to inquire about the price of an additional barrel for a Savage rifle that I intend to buy. They said it would be about $250.

    When I add in the cost of the tools needed to switch barrels, I too decided that for a little more, could have two rifles and not have to mess around with switching barrels in the field.
    Yeah, that was the conclusion I came to also. Jim from Northland gave me prices, but when I added it all up it was over $400 not including my time. Heck, I paid $425 for my 10fp 4 years ago.

    That's when I figured I'd just order a custom gun from Savage chambered in .220 Swift. But 2 calls to Savage on 10/15 and 10/18 have gone unanswered. A friend of mine had a problem with a Savage in 7mm-08, he became so disgusted with Savage's Customer Service that he sold all his Savage Rifles and refuses to own another.

    Remington took my call on the 2nd ring and were more than happy to help me. Turned out they have a 700 in production in .220 Swift.

  6. #6

    Re: Savage Custom Shop

    Shucks.........you guys are going to miss all the fun! Anybody with a fist full of dollars can buy a gun, but putting your own together is a whole other thing.

    Bill

  7. #7
    joed
    Guest

    Re: Savage Custom Shop

    Quote Originally Posted by bsekf
    Shucks.........you guys are going to miss all the fun! Anybody with a fist full of dollars can buy a gun, but putting your own together is a whole other thing.

    Bill
    In a way you're right. I've built 2 already and it was a neat experience. But, I've never ordered a custom gun and was looking forward to that experience.

  8. #8
    Registered User rjtfroggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ct.
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,512

    Re: Savage Custom Shop


    You just did it wrong.
    Call the toll free number, press ext.6, ask for Effie Sullivan & tell her what you want and with in a few minutes she will give you a yes or no on the build with a price quote(msrp).
    Then have your dealer call her and place the order,in about 6 weeks it will be at the dealers store.
    Easy as that for custom shop.Still more fun to build from scratch though.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

  9. #9
    joed
    Guest

    Re: Savage Custom Shop

    Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy

    You just did it wrong.
    Call the toll free number, press ext.6, ask for Effie Sullivan & tell her what you want and with in a few minutes she will give you a yes or no on the build with a price quote(msrp).
    Then have your dealer call her and place the order,in about 6 weeks it will be at the dealers store.
    Easy as that for custom shop.Still more fun to build from scratch though.
    Exactly what I did on Friday and Monday both. Both times the line was busy but it said leave a message and she would call back. To date no returned call.

  10. #10
    joed
    Guest

    Re: Savage Custom Shop

    To put the conversion cost into perspective it was $400 not counting shipping. I found a new 12 FV .22-250 today for $479. Unless the barrel is shot out I don't see it as cost effective to convert a Savage.

    But it got me that it was a long action whereas my 10fp is a short action. What's the deal on that? Are all the Savages on the longer action now?

  11. #11
    Paid Member wbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Mexico
    Age
    71
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Savage Custom Shop

    Are all the Savages on the longer action now?
    No.

  12. #12
    joed
    Guest

    Re: Savage Custom Shop

    Tried calling again today. This time I got through and managed to talk to the infamous Effie. She gave me a price of $768 for a model 12 FV in .220 Swift. The Swift is a single shot which is fine with me.

    But she told me I needed to go to a dealer and order. The price could be considerably more or less depending on the dealer. So, where does that leave anyone? Does the dealer get a discount? Or would I end up paying $800 or more for the gun?

    My Rem 700 VS SF 2 will be here tomorrow, I somehow feel I came out ahead.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Age
    53
    Posts
    28

    Re: Savage Custom Shop

    I went to Turners last week and asked about ordering a Savage 111 LRH. Factory suggested retail is $934. Turners price $919. Big deal.

    Also, I asked about their percentage for consignment sales since I have several rifles and handguns I intend to sell. Their percentage is 25%

    So far, I have not found any dealers in the San Diego area that offer a true discount on new rifle sales.

  14. #14
    joed
    Guest

    Re: Savage Custom Shop

    Quote Originally Posted by DCM
    I went to Turners last week and asked about ordering a Savage 111 LRH. Factory suggested retail is $934. Turners price $919. Big deal.

    Also, I asked about their percentage for consignment sales since I have several rifles and handguns I intend to sell. Their percentage is 25%

    So far, I have not found any dealers in the San Diego area that offer a true discount on new rifle sales.
    That's exactly what I was afraid of. All the deals I've found have been on in stock guns, all .22-250. As much as I want a .220 Swift I'm thinking about the 12 FV in .22-250 at $470. The Rem 700 I ordered is $1000, $200 more then the 12FV in .220. But the Rem is all stainless with a HS stock.

    Look around other dealers. I like to do a straight commission which has been $50 for me.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Age
    53
    Posts
    28

    Re: Savage Custom Shop

    So far, I have only talked to two other dealers and their prices were similar. One offered a $30 discount and the second one was similar.

    I just found out about Calguns (on line site for buyers and sellers in California) and I am checking it every day. Also, I have thought about seeing if dealers in other cities in Southern California offer better deals but am not sure about the process for dealers out of the county.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Model 116 or 114 custom shop .35Whelen or Rebarrel??
    By yooperamoungtrolls in forum Help Me Decide
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-13-2011, 01:11 PM
  2. Custom Shop .270 Long Barrel
    By lostart in forum 110-Series Gunsmithing Q&A
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-25-2010, 05:59 PM
  3. Savage Custom Shop
    By whit in forum 110-Series Gunsmithing Q&A
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-07-2010, 07:03 AM
  4. can the Savage custom shop make a .257 Roberts?
    By chilly in forum 110-Series Gunsmithing Q&A
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 09:51 AM
  5. MOVED: custom shop?
    By Blue Avenger in forum 110-Series Gunsmithing Q&A
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 11:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •