Thread: My in-expensive dbm fcp magazine conversion complete

Basic Member

My in-expensive dbm fcp magazine conversion complete

This rifle started as the Cabelas 12f model. I bought a Choate stock, eabco dbm (plastic), made a cheek riser, and used axis mags. But I've grown tired of 4 rounds, reload. Grabagun had the 10 round fcp mags on sale for about the same price as the std 4 round, got 2 of those. Then found on eBay a front mag catch designed for savage boyd stocks. It was not quite the same, but was easily milled on the side. It could have been done with a rotary tool or a file with some patience. The choate stock is narrower on both sides so I milled flat spots that allowed the catch to fit inside the aluminum block in the stock. I also had to remove some material off the side that makes contact with the stock(inside if latch body where action screw goes). This put the magazine at proper height for smooth feeding. Because the screw was too long and this was a test, I stacked 7 1/4" lock washers inside the hole to take up the slack and prevent bolt interference. The plastic dbm had to be cut down and trimmed in several places to make fit in The stock initially( I'll see if I still have those pics) and changed I little more for this mag catch to fit. But it wasn't hard.

On the mags themselves, barely any change. The back of the mags on the plastic have these little humps that I filed down just a little. They just weren't them same height as the 4 rounders, but honestly could have just been casting flash, less than .010".

This whole project took about an hour and a half trying to figure out what to do next. But, it feeds really good and I have less than $170 with both mags in it! So I am pleased.
    Last edited by Txriflefan; 04-13-2019 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Adding pictures

Pics or it didn't happen.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    What he said ^^^^

Basic Member
    http://imgur.com/gallery/K5kIRR0 the pics aren't posting. Apparently I'm no good at this,lol. I'm trying the link now.

Link works but maybe I still don't have enough posts to put up pics direct. Robinhood, what part of Texas? I'm in North, about 45min south of red river

My favorite.

Southeast for now
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Nice work!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Txriflefan View Post
    http://imgur.com/gallery/K5kIRR0 the pics aren't posting. Apparently I'm no good at this,lol. I'm trying the link now.

Link works but maybe I still don't have enough posts to put up pics direct. Robinhood, what part of Texas? I'm in North, about 45min south of red river
    I'm also in Texas, Plano area. I can almost be to the Red River in 45-minutes, depending on traffic through McKinney. I think there are several of us from this area on the forum.

Basic Member
    I'm ALL about cheap alternatives.
    Mind sharing the parts in a list so I know what to buy if I pursue this.
    Good looking build BTW.

Basic Member
    Thanks all for the kind words and I was trying to give my puppy his 10 minutes of fame. To be honest I'm pretty mad at him right now though. We just got home from Eric Church and somehow thru the kennel he managed to chew a hole in the carpet. Guess what I'll be fixing tomorrow?

Anyway, yes I'll be happy to post the list of parts tomorrow. It would be cool to get together with the north Texas guys to go shoot and do lunch sometime. I usually go to either Fossil Pointe(out to 800y once you qualify at 200y) or Quail Creek (way closer but only 100y). I have a good friend how is a member at E.T.T.S. And they have 1200y but is much further away.

Basic Member