Thread: 6.5 PRC hunting build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

6.5 PRC hunting build

So I've been doing a lot of research (this site has been invaluable) and I'm going to be doing a rebarrel of a Savage 16 from .300WSM to 6.5PRC just to see how easily(or not) that it can be done. If Savage was offering the new 110's in 6.5PRC I wouldn't be writing this but unfortunately so far I only see the High Country (8.5lbs naked) and the 10GRC (10lbs) offered in this chambering.

I haven't hunted the last few years and need a new hunting rifle. I live in Calgary, Alberta so I want a rifle that has the reach to take antelope out on the prairies, the power for moose or elk out to a couple hundred yards in the foothills, and is light enough for mulies and sheep in the Rockies, with fairly low recoil. I don't want to turn this into a caliber debate, just giving a bit of logic on why I'm going this route. I've always been a .308 guy but my friends finally convinced me that 6.5CM just makes sense if a guy is buying a new rifle. I was all set to go that route, but then a few months ago my brother who handloads told me about the 6.5PRC. It seems all of the arguments for why the Creedmoor is superior to the .308 apply to the 6.5PRC over the Creedmoor. So here we are.

Last weekend I picked up a model 16 in .300WSM:

I put it on the scale and it sits at exactly 8 lbs with scope and sling which is light enough for my needs but it has has a blind mag. I prefer dbm and I plan on bedding the stock so I found a take off model 12VLP laminate with 2 magazines that arrived in the mail last night.

When I get home from work I'll be swapping out the stocks. The magazines are .308/243 but I'll pop my existing box from the .300WSM onto one of the magazines bottoms which should be a straight swap. I'll try to get some pictures up tonight. Feel free to post questions, criticism, and any advice!
    Last edited by Brokenhead; 04-12-2019 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Correct WM to WSM