I found this 2013 article in the Centerfire FAQ and that's helpful but I'm still not sure I understand the Savage landscape.

The linked article tells me the model and the series. I understand that the 10/110 = SA/LA but what about differences between model numbers. Are they different beyond the finish? Are they interchangeable?

The 12LRP has a target action but does this mean they build it up as target gun or does it mean the actions are different from the 10? Maybe its stiffer and heavier?

Could I swap parts between a 12LRP and a 10 storm? If they are interchangeable are the tolerances all the same or does the 12 have tighter tolerances?

The Savage Storm is a hunting rifle built on the 110 but the FAQ suggests the model 110 is the LE series--Which is confusing because they have 110s of all sorts.

The FAQ says the 110s are are blued but the 110 storm is stainless so why didn't they call it a 116? how is the 116 different? Why did savage change the 116 weather warrior to the 110 storm.

To add to my confusion, I have the 12RLP in 6.5CM and a Storm 110 in 6.5CM. The 12 and the 110 are clearly marked on the barrels. So the 12LRP is a short action and the storm 110 is a long action even though both use the same cartridge and the bolts are interchangeable? I haven't test fired them but the seem to fit each other.

10/110 - Old Designation Sporter Series, Current Designation Law Enforcement Series (blued actions and barrel)
11/111 - Current Designation Sporter Series (blued actions and barrel)
12/112 - Varmint Series (available in both Blued and Stainless); also includes Target Series
14/114 - Classic Series (High Luster Blue, one model in SS, High Grade Wood Stock)
16/116 - Weather Warrior Series (SS, Synthetic, Sporter & Mag Contoured Barrel)
PTA Guns - Precision Target Action rifles (Model 12 F/TR, 12 F-Class, 12 Palma, Etc.)
Mod. 25 & 40 - Light Varmint Series (Blued actions and barrel)
Axis - Entry Level sporter with DBM (all the same action length, but different from 10/110 to 16/116 series; available Blued or Stainless)
Stevens 200 - Same as 11/111 except no AccuTrigger (old style side bolt release only; Blued action and barrel)

Model Number Letter Meanings:
AK(or K) - Adjustable Muzzle Brake
B - Laminate Stock
BT - Laminated Thumbhole Stock
C - Clip (Detachable Box Magazine)
F - Synthetic Stock
G - Hardwood Stock
H - Hinged Floorplate
L - Left Hand
ML - Muzzleloader
NS - No Sights
P - Police