Thread: Savage 110 storm

Basic Member

Savage 110 storm

Hey every one

I use to have a savage 110 trophy hunter 30-06, it was a good shooting gun and I liked it except for the magazine the clip in part was plastic and that turned me off from that gun since I hunt in sub freezing temeperature and was worried it might brake and also it would not chamber a round unless I held it mighter with my fingers pushing upwards. Any ways I have been looking at the 110 storm particularly in a 300 win mag and I wanted to know how are the magazines on that model (ratle, smoothness, and reliability) and how’s the recoil pad on these guns and recoil in general if any ones got that gun and caliber combo.

Basic Member
    I believe all the Trophy series rifles have the magazine with the plastic tab.
    I agree that they are not very sturdy and I have one on a model 11 VT.
    I have shot in the high 20s with it and it didn't break, but it is not a very study arrangement.
    I think you can just see the tab sticking out on the front of the magazines in the pictures of the Trophy series on the Savage web site.

I believe that the Storm has a standard magazine that does not have a tab.
    Someone who has one might be able to confirm that.

Basic Member
    My wife and I have two 110 Storms, she a 30-06 and I a 300WM. The magazines are metal, the 06 holds 4 rounds and the 300 holds 3. I'm currently working up an accuracy load for her 06 and between us we have fired in the neighborhood of 150 to 200 rounds using one magazine, no rattles, no plastic, smooth and reliable. As far as the two rifles the adjust-ability of them is great. It allows you to custom fit the rifle to your size and shooting style. In real life it's as good or better than having a custom rifle built to your specifications. Without a doubt one of the best investments we have made. I have fired the 300, but near as much as the 06, I'll be working up loads for it after I finish with the 06.

Mike

Xbolt I'm in the same predicament. I have the trophy hunter and I want to but a new 110 but I can't find any info on the mags. If they have been upgraded I'll buy one, if not I'll stick with what I have for now. I'll be watching this thread.

Trophy hunter is an entry level "scope package combo" gun and is basically an entry level economy offering for those who dont hunt or shoot a whole lot. For that purpose it's fantastic. The 110 storm is going to be more of a flagship type rifle. I have a couple of the older 116 weather warriors one long action and one magnum which are the predecessors for what's now the "110 storm" They're a couple of my favorites and are built very well and have functioned just fine since the mid 1990s and early 2000s.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    how’s the stock recoil pads on the storms?

Basic Member
    Kind of a subjective question, I only have my shoulder test to determine the effective recoil reduction on our storms. I believe that they are as effective as any other recoil pad that I have used. we have used some pretty expensive aftermarket units on other rifles particularly on a Browning BAR in 30-06. My wife had a dislocated shoulder when she was younger and even with the Kick-Eez pad on she was only good for two or three shots. With the Storm she has shot 10 to 15 full loads in a single sitting without any distress. That said the Storm is completely set up to her size which for me was a major selling point for the rifle. Both my wife are I are on the smaller side, stock stocks are always too long for us and on the BAR the recoil pad just made the fit worse. We generally lived with dealing with having things oversize until the Storm came along. Fit is very important to comfort and accuracy in a rifle.

Mike