Thread: Value of 23A Savage

Basic Member

Value of 23A Savage

My brother has a beautiful 23A ser#90XXX that has an old groove type long weaver scope mount on it with the front site dove tail filled in with what looks like a factory piece flush with the barrel. Stock is near perfect and the blueing looks perfect probably professionally done. Any ideas on the value of this rifle?

I wonder why someone would do that to that gun?

Makes no sense. Even if I did have it grooved for a scope I wouldn't fill in the front sight dovetail.

To me that would lower the price of the gun significantly. It just went from a $400 gun to a $200 gun to me, but thats all in the buyers eyes and personal preference, someone else might offer $300 for it.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    I wonder why someone would do that to that gun?

Makes no sense. Even if I did have it grooved for a scope I wouldn't fill in the front sight dovetail.

To me that would lower the price of the gun significantly. It just went from a $400 gun to a $200 gun to me, but thats all in the buyers eyes and personal preference, someone else might offer $300 for it.
    Its a grooved base screwed into the original rear sight holes not a permanent groove in the barrel and the front dovetail has a dovetail piece that may be the front sight ground down to match the barrel and could be returned to original with a new front sight. I think with original sights it could be retuned to original or near to except I am not sure that blueing is original. Whatever it was nicely done.