Thread: High pressure danger!

High pressure danger!

Hello folks, I just want to relate to you a situation I had while trying out different bullet types of nearly the same weight in my 1966 model 99F in .243. I kept the powder charge the same (medium charge) and used bullets of similar weights to see if one was more consistent than the others in my rifle. After shooting a few different bullets with pretty good results, I thought I'd try the Barnes TSX for the first time. It was slightly lighter than the others but close to the same size due to not having any lead in its construction, as you know. My first shot sounded different than all the others of the day, but I thought it was normal for the bullet. Cycling the lever didn't seem much different, but it was slightly stiffer. My seconds shot made a loud concussion and gas went out around the bolt , but didn't hit me thank God. The casing was stuck in the breech causing the lever to be stuck also. I tried to cycle I with a bit of muscle and the ejector stripped past the rim and the casing stayed put. Then I noticed the primer (CCI LR) was pierced through, and that's where the gas came from. I had never seen such a difference in pressure from one bullet to another using the same powder and charge. I just tore down all the rest of the box and put the bullets back in the box. I did double check my charges and they were all right to the 10th of a grain. I was able to finally eject the casing by squeezing the ejector hard with my thumb as I worked the lever. It was stuck good. The casing showed signs of extreme pressure and it scared me to look at it. I just wanted to warn others about using the Barnes TSX or TTSX in their 99s. I can only figure that my bore is tight and the solids can't conform to the bore like lead based bullets. Just be careful!

Quote Originally Posted by reivertom View Post
    Hello folks, I just want to relate to you a situation I had while trying out different bullet types of nearly the same weight in my 1966 model 99F in .243. I kept the powder charge the same (medium charge) and used bullets of similar weights to see if one was more consistent than the others in my rifle. After shooting a few different bullets with pretty good results, I thought I'd try the Barnes TSX for the first time. It was slightly lighter than the others but close to the same size due to not having any lead in its construction, as you know. My first shot sounded different than all the others of the day, but I thought it was normal for the bullet. Cycling the lever didn't seem much different, but it was slightly stiffer. My seconds shot made a loud concussion and gas went out around the bolt , but didn't hit me thank God. The casing was stuck in the breech causing the lever to be stuck also. I tried to cycle I with a bit of muscle and the ejector stripped past the rim and the casing stayed put. Then I noticed the primer (CCI LR) was pierced through, and that's where the gas came from. I had never seen such a difference in pressure from one bullet to another using the same powder and charge. I just tore down all the rest of the box and put the bullets back in the box. I did double check my charges and they were all right to the 10th of a grain. I was able to finally eject the casing by squeezing the ejector hard with my thumb as I worked the lever. It was stuck good. The casing showed signs of extreme pressure and it scared me to look at it. I just wanted to warn others about using the Barnes TSX or TTSX in their 99s. I can only figure that my bore is tight and the solids can't conform to the bore like lead based bullets. Just be careful!
    It's fairly common knowledge that you have to reduce your loads when shooting solid copper bullets compared to traditional jacketed lead-core bullets. Also, similarly constructed bullets with more or less bearing surface can also greatly affect pressure as that additional bearing surface creates more friction.

Of course, it's also common knowledge that you should never just switch out a component in your load without backing off and retuning the load for that new component - whether it's new brass, a different primer, or a different bullet.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

It's is common knowledge to use a reloading manual and make sure your charge is well within load data provided, which my loads were. The charge I was using was relatively mild and was within lower mid range for all of the bullets I loaded, including the TSX. I have been doing this for 40 years and I never load without checking my load data, and have never had an accident. This is why I posted this warning, I didn't know I was going to get shamed for doing so.

Was your load data for a Savage 99?

For future reference alot of 99 collectors and shooters always start their loads 2 grains lower than factory load data, the actions can't handle high pressure like bolt actions can.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    Was your loading data specifically for Barnes solid copper bullets?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I've used the Barnes TSX 225 gr, in my F model bored to .358 Win. with 46.5 gr. of Varget and had no pressure problems, but I won't use them again for the type of close (100yds +-) hunting I like to take moose at, because they don't mushroom well. A moose I took required two shots when it should have been over with one. I originally wanted to go all copper because I got tired of finding lead in my meat, but I'll stick to well-constructed cup and core from now on for moose and black bear. I may use copper for longer shots at caribou, however.

Basic Member
    When you say it sounded different than all the rest, my first thought is you may have had a squib. Then when you say the next round was difficult to chamber it makes me think the next load was cramming into the projectile left from the squib. I would fully inspect your bore after that scenario. You may have gotten extremely lucky and the round you had this experience with actually pushed the stuck projectile out of the barrel. If you ever have a round that sounds different than the rest. STOP, unload the firearm, and fully inspect it before continuing firing.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    When you say it sounded different than all the rest, my first thought is you may have had a squib. Then when you say the next round was difficult to chamber it makes me think the next load was cramming into the projectile left from the squib. I would fully inspect your bore after that scenario. You may have gotten extremely lucky and the round you had this experience with actually pushed the stuck projectile out of the barrel. If you ever have a round that sounds different than the rest. STOP, unload the firearm, and fully inspect it before continuing firing.
    No, The first shot made a hole in the target. It just sounded louder than the other rounds with traditional type bullet construction that I had been shooting. The other rounds had no signs of even slightly elevated pressures because it wasn't a "hot load" by any means. This is what is hard to figure out.