Thread: Scope image.

Basic Member

Scope image.

I am shooting my 223 20" axis today at the range and I see through my scope that when I put pressure on the trigger that my crosshair hairs move down as I apply pressure and up as I release the pressure.

What would cause this?

I was trying my hardest to have a good grip and a good cheek weld but it was obvious that the movement was a direct effect of the trigger pressure.

I can't imagine it was the stock flexing. I did try squeezing the trigger just with my opposite hand using the trigger and trigger guard this would cause zero movement.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I am shooting my 223 20" axis today at the range and I see through my scope that when I put pressure on the trigger that my crosshair hairs move down as I apply pressure and up as I release the pressure.

What would cause this?

I was trying my hardest to have a good grip and a good cheek weld but it was obvious that the movement was a direct effect of the trigger pressure.

I can't imagine it was the stock flexing. I did try squeezing the trigger just with my opposite hand using the trigger and trigger guard this would cause zero movement.

Is your parallax adjusted correctly?

What would cause this?

From my experience with the Axis, the Flex you are seeing is the wrist/grip area of the Synthetic stock. You'll also have flex in the forend of the stock. That's the reason so many guys are swapping out the synthetic Axis stock for a Boyds Laminate or something comparable.

Basic Member
    Try taking your trigger hand off the stock. Use the trigger finger and thumb at the back of the trigger guard to squeeze the trigger without touching the rifle anywhere else. Might also need to steady the hand with a bag so the arm does not induce movement to the trigger.

I suspect you are pulling the rifle off as you pull the trigger. It takes VERY little movement to do so.

I found that I was gripping the rear sandbag more as I pulled the trigger. Tensing the muscles just about anywhere in the body will cause small changes as well, especially chest muscles.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

I agree with charlie, you are most likely squeezing the whole grip as you tense up on the trigger, a tight grip is not required or desired when shooting, try a looser grip with your shooting hand and slowly squeeze your trigger and then follow through. A rear shooting bag will also help keep things steady when shooting from a bench or prone.
    Rusty Shackelford

Your point of aim is shifting due to too much pressure. Ive had it happen before. As the above poster stated just use your trigger finger and thumb.

It's due to the inherent weakness of the stock in the wrist (grip) area and the pressure you are applying to that area with your hand. Been an issue with the Axis stocks since they first came out, though reportedly the newer (2019) restyled Axis stock is a bit better in this regard.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I did not have that issue with my original Axis stock. It maintained a perfect sight picture as I squeezed the trigger.

What would cause this?

That's why I rockite inside my stock grip area.
    Take off rear recoil pad, fill grip / part of hollow stock with mixed rockite = problem solved.
    It stiffens the stock internal and adds a little more weight in the middle of the stock.

Cost = a few bucks which is cheaper than buying a whole new $$$ stock for the rough use I put mine through.