Thread: 12FV Scope Mounting Holes to Big?

12FV Scope Mounting Holes to Big?

Hi,

I purchased a new Savage 12FV in .223 from Cabela's today and when I tried to mount the Weaver 2 piece scope bases (#46 as suggested on Savage's website), the included screws just spin around and don't make any contact with the threads. The screws do this in all four holes, with or without the bases set in place. I then tried a set of Burris Xtreme Tactical Steel (2 piece) with same result. Anyone heard of this before? Seems like a defect from the factory. Not sure if I should try and take it back to Cabela's or go directly to Savage.

Thanks,

Matt

Sounds like the holes are a #8 screw instead of the usual #6.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
    Jester

Basic Member
    It sucks getting old...it seems I remember someone saying that they had ran into this as well, but I cant remember where it was.

Not sure how it is in your area, but around here, one can return rings and bases and its possible someone returned the wrong ones.

I've bought a complete set (all of the calibers) from them, I had to chase the threads in 2 of the guns but they were all the same size. Thinking about buying some more in 6.5 and 308 to covert to other calibers.

I measured the size of the holes in the receiver with a caliper and comes out around .167" Does that sound like a #8 size screw? The screws for the bases I already have are .137" So far, I haven't been able to find anyone selling two piece bases that use 8-40 screws. I'd rather not go with a one piece base but I may have no choice.

matt

I just went thru this with my desert tactical. I wanted to use my DNZ 1 piece scope mount from my Savage muzzleloader. I pulled it off and went to put it on the new desert tactical. Lo and behold it seems they drilled for the larger screw pattern. 8-40. DNZ wanted $40 to drill the mount for different size screws so I went with vortex low rings.......after a long wait it all turned out good.

Quote Originally Posted by kingair350 View Post
    I measured the size of the holes in the receiver with a caliper and comes out around .167" Does that sound like a #8 size screw? The screws for the bases I already have are .137" So far, I haven't been able to find anyone selling two piece bases that use 8-40 screws. I'd rather not go with a one piece base but I may have no choice.

matt
    Here is a machine screw tap drill chart. Check with EGW for a 1 piece base as they usually offer #8 screw option for a very small upcharge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
    Jester

I just got a Savage Model 10 BA Stealth and it came with larger screw holes as well. Maybe Savage is going to the #8 on everything.

Probably when they drill the original holes crooked in the receiver and then straighten them out with larger holes. I know my 308 is offset, but not enough for them to do anything about it - willingly.

I found these two piece bases from Leupold that might work if the mounting holes are actually for 8-40 screws:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ear-axis-matte

matt

Quote Originally Posted by kingair350 View Post
    I found these two piece bases from Leupold that might work if the mounting holes are actually for 8-40 screws:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ear-axis-matte

matt
    "This base will accept either 6-48 base screws or oversized 8-40 base screws." So how does that work? Slop on the #6s?

Team Savage
    I was surprised when I discovered my Savage Desert Tactical with factory installed EWG rail had 8-40 screws instead of 6-48 on all the other Savage rifles I’ve owned. It appears Savage Arms is drilling and tapping actions for both screw sizes. Looks like they may have been using actions from the wrong bin the day your 12FV was built. Or it’s another case of Savage Arms changing something that wasn’t broke to screw with the aftermarket vendors.

Basic Member
    I too had problems when I purchased my Savage 12FV .223 late last summer. I bought a 2 piece base, don't remember what brand and had same problems. After back and forth searching I was finally able to find one that fit: Warne Maxima 2 Pieces Bases M912/612M. These are for 8-40 screws, still have the packaging.

I also got another Savage 12FV 6.5 creed last month and I got Burris Xtreme Tactical Steel 25MOA base. The item number is 410651. I got this through MidwayUSa.

Basic Member
    If you put an EGW rail from Northland Shooter Supply you can use either size screw. They'll supply both at your request. A 20 moa rail will work on your 12FV. I have one on mine. Just make sure your scope has at least 45 moa adjustment on the elevation. I find the Werne Rings work very well on that setup.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    I noticed the other day that Warne sells a 20 MOA base with 8-40 screws.

Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    I noticed the other day that Warne sells a 20 MOA base with 8-40 screws.
    Warne M666-20-8, just put one on my 10 BA Stealth. Fit fine.