Thread: Another Oryx Chassis with 12FV but in 308

Another Oryx Chassis with 12FV but in 308

Well after reading Celltech's post I decided to give the Oryx chassis a shot but with a 308 12FV action. The Oryxchassis site did not list the SA version as being available but I register for notification and a few days later got an email saying it was available. So after a little difficulty with the website I was able to get one ordered. It took about a 7-10 days before it arrived. Celltech's review and comments are spot-on with my experience thus far. I did not get the front sling swivel stud or the length of pull spacer kit which I may have to pick up later. I plan on picking up a m-lok 5 slot rail with QD release instead of using the Orxy front sling swivel stud. I mounted a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42 on top on medium rings. A couple notes here on rings and base. I initially picked up a Leupold ring and base combo in medium for the Savage 10/110 but ended up taking it back as the rear mount did not fit well. When the horizontal adjustment screws were towards the rear they interfered with the bolt and when forward did not provide enough rear travel for the scope for proper eye relief. I ended up going to a Leupold backcountry cross-slot base (picatinny rail) with Vortex pro medium rings. This setup allowed for better eye relief adjustment but I am still not sure if I should have went with high rings as the alignment still "seems" a little low. I will know more once I get it to the range. I also picked up a Magpul Pmag and it takes a pretty good smack on the bottom to get it to latch up. Initially I was not able to get it to latch until I smacked it pretty good. It is loosing up a bit after several insertions. But not sure with it being composite material and the release being metal with a pretty strong spring if the catch will eventually wear. Here are my pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChassisOnBox.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	5933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullyAssembledSide.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	5932
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ChassisOnBox.jpg  

Basic Member
    Nice looking setup. Looking forward to a range report.

They sure look nice

Took it to the range today. Had it in the bullseye on the third shot 100 yards. It is a shooter, here was the best grouping.

Name:	gouping.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	5949

Basic Member
    I see you are in the Dallas area....take it up to Fossil Pointe in Decatur and qualify for the 800 yard range. Sooooo much fun...

That would be some fun for sure. I would have to think about moving my 6-24 PST over if I wanted to take it out that far. I didn't post it but I was shooting Hornady American White tail 165gr.

Basic Member
    Looks like there is no place for a bipod mount if one wanted to use one.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninosdemente View Post
    Looks like there is no place for a bipod mount if one wanted to use one.
    Under the foregrip is a m-lok rail...you can attach anything you want. There is also a hole for a swivel stud, although they don't include one.

Name:	IMG_20190312_182033-001.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	5978

Basic Member
    Thanks for the reply and the picture. No wonder, I thought it just didn't come with one. I am very interested in getting one of these for Savage 12FV 223. Have been looking at the MDT line, nice to choose from but not willing to spend to that much for the stock. I currently have a Vortex Diamondback Tactical with a Warne 2 piece scope mount. I do have Vortex rings on it, medium.

How is the magazine feed in this setup? Any difficulties? What magazine brand are you using? Only reason I want a to change the stock is because I want to avoid top load as I also have a Savage 12FV 6.5 creedmor but with a one piece scope mount. Thanks again for the help.

Basic Member
    I am using Magpul mags and they feed great so far. Running my .243 on it at a 2.82" OAL, magazine will allow up to ~2.86". The 5 rounder I have is getting easier to seat as I use it more. I think it's tight cause the Oryx mag catch is just so wide, and the spring is so stout, that you just have to be firm. I am seriously thinking of a 2nd one for my .223 I ordered a Ruger RPR .223 mag and with some feed lip trimming I can get it to run.

I also keep thinking of designing some sort of monopod for the rear. There is enough metal back there to drill a hole and fit something up. Just need to think it through...

Basic Member
    Thanks for the reply.

Is this the mag you have: https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...prod75490.aspx

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninosdemente View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Is this the mag you have: https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...prod75490.aspx
    Not at all, that is for an AR15. You need an AICS style magazine for the Oryx, like this: https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...prod81742.aspx

Magpul only makes a .308 based version. For .223 you would need to buy a MDT, Accurate Mag, or in my case, a modified Ruger magazine: https://www.brownells.com/search/ind...+223&ksubmit=y

Basic Member
    Thanks. Will most likely avoid Ruger, trying to avoid having to modify if necessary. You mentioned you had a 5rd magazine, what manufacturer is it?

Basic Member
    Magpul makes both 5 and 10 round versions of the .308 magazine.

Basic Member
    Nice! Thanks.