Thread: Scope and ring combinations for axis .308

Scope and ring combinations for axis .308

Hey everyone, I hope y’all can help me. I looked in the FAQ and didn’t see this info.

I need a new new scope for my Axis .308, I am wondering if there are known combinations of scope and rings that avoid the bolt knob hitting the scope. I have seen that the DNZ rings are the most popular. I am looking for a relatively inexpensive 3-9x40 or similar scope for deer hunting within 100 yards or so. I don’t mind spending money for quality but I also don’t need a Nightforce level scope. So what scope/ring combinations have y’all found work. Also, I have been thinking of an oversized bold handle, would this be a factor or not?

thanks for any help

Basic Member
    I have a Zeiss Terra 3x9 with Talley Lightweight Rings/Bases on mine. No problems with the bolt hitting the scope. I bought he scope a few years ago for $189 but they have been discontinued. I would look at the Leupold Freedom Series scopes in 2x7 which is fine for deer at 100 yards. I have a 2x7x33 VX1 that has been on a few rifles and has been fine and can take a fall and not loose zero.
    Hawk is also now being sold here and is very popular in the UK and reasonable priced.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/r...27:%22Hawke%22

Basic Member
    I have a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42 with weaver base and stock rings. Clears the handle well. I did get it on sale at Xmas so $100 under retail. It is a nice scope.

Way too much for close in work but I think you won't have problems with the bolt handle unless you try to go with a very low profile setup.

Basic Member
    Weaver 1 piece rail,Nikon Pro Staff 3-9 x40 with meduim Burris Z rings. No clearance issues, reasonably priced decent glass.

Basic Member
    Just for the sake of documentation, this combination clears with sufficient (albeit not wonderful) room for the bolt handle and nice eye relief, especially if you do a cheek rest.

Burris Fullfield E1 3-9x40MM
    Weaver Medium 4-Bolt Skeleton Rings
    Weaver Rail for Savage Axis

I used 2 piece (Weaver base and X-High Rings) bolt handle clears, but will rub the ocular housing a bit. Slight cosmetic damage but nothing in regards to function. Running the Redfield Battlezone 6-18x44 .