Thread: Converting Savage Model 11 to 6.5 PRC.

Converting Savage Model 11 to 6.5 PRC.

Hey Everyone,

I own a Savage Model 11 in a center feed, 4.40 screw spacing, top bolt release blind mag configuration. I am toying with the idea of re-barreling this to a 6.5 PRC. What is everybody's thoughts on this? I am not a PRS shooter, nor do i desire to be. Is this as simple as just dropping a new barrel on?

Thanks.

Depends on what cartridge it is chambered for. Both the bolt head and follower may need to be changed as well.

I'm in a similar situation with a 111. Chambered for 7mm RM (.532" case head) but I'm considering changing it to something based on a .473" case head. Have an appropriate case head on order. Won't channge the cartridge follower unless necessary for proper feeding.

Basic Member
    Following!

Thanks, It is currently configured as a 22-250.
    Admittedly, i am pretty new to savage platforms so i'm not sure what bolt head i have, or what would be involved in changing it out. My Serial Number is G4841XX, which some people have lead me to believe this is a Large Shank Barrel. Which, again, i'm not sure what exactly that means.

Honestly, if it gets to far into it, i will buy another gun specifically to re barrel. I really kind of like not having to deal with Mags, as i have no interest in PRS or other match shooting and it's one less thing to forget,drop, damage etc.

Edit, I Quickly walked into my loading room, my bolt face is approximately .493 ID with cheap calipers and shakey hands lol

Honestly, if it gets to far into it, i will buy another gun specifically to re barrel. I really kind of like not having to deal with Mags, as i have no interest in PRS or other match shooting and it's one less thing to forget,drop, damage etc.
    This is the best option as it will have the bolt assembly you need and you wont have to find and assemble a bunch of parts to make it work. Any WSM action would be easy as tweaking the magazine for problem free feeding and firing.

Otherwise for a standard short action you would need a WSM bolt head. The WSM bolt head is .962 long(yours is .437) with a .55 diameter bolt face for the PRC .535 Rim. You will need the firing pin assembly that is 1/8 longer than your current setup. You will also need the WSM Front baffle and the WSM magazine unless you want to go single shot.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    This is the best option as it will have the bolt assembly you need and you wont have to find and assemble a bunch of parts to make it work. Any WSM action would be easy as tweaking the magazine for problem free feeding and firing.

Otherwise for a standard short action you would need a WSM bolt head. The WSM bolt head is .962 long(yours is .437) with a .55 diameter bolt face for the PRC .535 Rim. You will need the firing pin assembly that is 1/8 longer than your current setup. You will also need the WSM Front baffle and the WSM magazine unless you want to go single shot.
    Agreed that a different action would be the easy route. And a correction - the PRC has a .532" case head per SAAMI spec.
    https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...-6-28-2018.pdf

My 111 had a 7mm RM barrel, now gone, and the current bolt head should work fine for a 6.5 PRC. The standard belted magnum case head is also .532".

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter View Post
    Agreed that a different action would be the easy route. And a correction - the PRC has a .532" case head per SAAMI spec.
    https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...-6-28-2018.pdf

My 111 had a 7mm RM barrel, now gone, and the current bolt head should work fine for a 6.5 PRC. The standard belted magnum case head is also .532".
    You do realize that the difference between .532" and .535" is only .003 and that the Savage bolt face is somewhere in the neighborhood of .550" in diameter. A difference of .018".
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I'm doing this right now. Bought a used .300wsm model 16 that I'm rebarrelling to 6.5prc. I plan on documenting it and posting to the "build" forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    You do realize that the difference between .532" and .535" is only .003 and that the Savage bolt face is somewhere in the neighborhood of .550" in diameter. A difference of .018".
    Yes, I understand. SAAMI specs are SAAMI specs, and .535" was, and still is, incorrect.