Thread: Shooting sticks VS. gun mounted bipod for Yotes

mtnkid85

Shooting sticks VS. gun mounted bipod for Yotes

Well subject says it all.
    Generally Im sitting down on my butt in a crazy creek chair with a large sage brush behind me. For all my target/Pdog shooting Ive used either a Harris 6-9 or 9-13" bipod while prone and done well, but for coyotes in sage brush I just need the manuverabilty and sight distance of sitting up.

So what do you guys prefer; the taller harris style bipod 13-27" or shooting sticks? Are shooting sticks as manuverable when you need to make a large transition when the coyote comes in in a unexpected spot?
    Ive never used shooting sticks. Ive even thought about just bolting two pieces of wood together reall quick to see what I think of them?

Thanks,

Basic Member

Re: Shooting sticks VS. gun mounted bipod for Yotes

I have a tall bipod (13"- 27") on my AR & find it easier to use as I can set it up without trying to hold stix at the same time, I am making less moves this way. I am not having to carry stix and my hands are free to call when Im moving.
    I made a set of shooting stix as well and keep them in my truck for backups.

I used to use sticks when sitting but I now sit on a folding stool. I bought an extendable bipod from cabelas that will extend even if you are standing. I think the other brands with a U shaped rest portion would be better though. The cabelas one is flat and I use a velcro strap around the barrel and stock to stick to velcro I glued onto the flat portion.

I saw in my latest Natchez catalog that they carry a bipod that extends out like what snowgetter1 is talking about, but instead of a "u" or a pad and strap it has an adapter that you hook to your sling stud and the sticks/pod unit just locks on and you push a lil button and they pop off. Looked like something you should look into. Never tried 'em myself but they looked like what might help.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member

I've tried the taller Harris bipods but found that I much rather have shooting sticks.
    [b]A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire (1694-1778)[/b]

redraven72

I use both. I have a 9-13 mounted on the gun and carry a shooting stick that I picked up at wal-mart for 10 bucks. This way I have the best of all worlds being on the ground with the bi pod or sitting/standing with the stick. :)

showgun

Quote Originally Posted by 5spd
    I have a tall bipod (13"- 27") on my AR & find it easier to use as I can set it up without trying to hold stix at the same time, I am making less moves this way. I am not having to carry stix and my hands are free to call when Im moving.
    I made a set of shooting stix as well and keep them in my truck for backups.
    I second that! Dont clutter up your spare hand with stix. Shooting sticks get in my way and I end up making a ruckuss with them, go with a bipod for multi-purpose use!

bubbinator

I use a mono-pod w/a V-notch top end. It adjustes fine for me, I hunt out of ground blinds sitting on a 7 gal bucket. I if am using my Stryker, I use the same mono-pod with a MTM(?) walking cane wavy-shaft looking thing for the rear grip support. I satisfied with the results.

Basic Member

i have the 13-27 from caldwell. got it for christmas and thought it may be too long but have killed three yotes using it. its perfect for sitting in a fence row and calling them critters, it allows you to sit up high enough to see over the weeds and such. much better than lying in the mud on your belly. get the one that pivots also mine works great, killed one yesterday at 426yds.

Basic Member

I use shooting sticks that adjust from 28-60" I can use them sitting on the ground on in a chair or standing.
    I prefer to stand when ever possible I can see better and turn faster also coyotes that come in fast and hard seem to be looking at knee height.

possum1

Shooting sticks. I make my own, I have a 3' pair for sitting and just made a 5, pair for standing, haven't tried the 5, pair yet but think they will work for both sitting and standing. At $3 a pair can't beat them.

rez187

k here is my two cents............ i personally use bi pods the 27 or 29 inchers they are plenty high for me sitting on pad. want to be as low to ground as possible here in nevada to blend into brush. here is the problem with bi pods, when the yote comes in at a spot you were not expecting (quite often) trying to moving bi pods in brush is hard to do and not get caught on bushes. a shooting stick is not as hard to pick up and replant in the brush. with a shooting stick i will carry it like a walking stick so i can use it while walking if something jumps up. then when you get to your set up collapse it down and use similar to bi pod. again i use bi pods most of the time but can see where some people may prefer a shooting stick. regardless what you use shoot straight and shoot ethically.

verminator

http://www.boggear.com/cld_shooting_sticks.html Beenusing these for years, From sitting to standing in seconds. Lightweight and can used as walking stick.

Tracer

Gengts I guess I am old school because I don't and won't use those frigging shooting sticks period! I'll use a bipod sitting or prone position sometimes, especially if the yote is over 250 yards. I like to shoot free handed a bunch, I practiced at it for many years. Those shooting sticks came in to use from those that went to African, those people use them a lot over there for clients who just cant hit the barn door at 50 yards. I have a good story about shooting sticks but this is not the place, maybe sometime I'll spill the beans.

Funny... I was under the impression shooting sticks were a throwback to some of the old plains buffalo shooter's gear.

Anywho... once upon a time I picked up one of the tall Harris bipods but just didn't like the feel of the setup. I later got a set of Stoney Point steady-stix - the jointed ones that are about right for sitting height but fold up for storage/transport. I do keep them extended pretty much all the time when in use. As for needing an extra hand to hang on to the sticks... ??? My hunting guns usually have a sling mounted on 'em and the sticks wedge up under the sling n stud pretty solidly without much help needed.

That bog-pod does look kind of intriguing... I've seen some similar tacticool setups for sale that are a bit more like a regular benchrest top (albeit a very basic one) instead of the 'U' cradle, but similar idea. Most of the people that use 'em seem to love 'em. Been thinking about getting one for a while now...

375Win

I hunt in alot of heavy cover and an attached bipod is a pain in the butt.

375Win

jon8777

The lower you can go, the more stable you shot will be. I use 9-13" for prone hog hunting and I have 13-27" for high grass/deer hunting where I need to sit.

bubbinator

With a mono-pod you don't have the "shift" problem as with a bipod, you can just rotate as needed within reason. As an older, "no climb" hunter, I shoot from a variety of "pop-up"and burlap material blinds very successfully(my freezers full anyway) and given my background(Mil/LEO) I have had lots of range time and training in shooting. One of my favorite range times was helping young shooters and civilians without the experience I have learn to shoot better. From a good shooting position, a monopod will do all you need with good shooting skills.

mtnkid85

Just thought Id update this thread, with what Ive experienced over the last several months.

Ive left my 9-13" bipod on the gun, and was able to use it in ideal setups... ie, have something infront of me to set it on. Other wise I simply layed back and rested the gun on my knees.
    I also carried a taller set of sticks I whipped up.
    The sticks I like because I was able to get the gun up and keep it shouldered the entire stand, I felt there was less movement while I was moving from glassing to calling to just sitting, however they where kinda pain to keep them from tipping over, keeping them from making noise, swinging to the extreme sides ect.

But so far all the dogs I killed where shot off my knees... So I think ill keep doing what Im doing, have the bipod and the option of rolling over on my belly for the long shot and just keep shooting off my knees for everything up close.

stevecan

Three long dowel rods painted your favorite "tacticool" color, one industrial size rubberband (with spares in your kit). Make them any height, hell of a handy tripod when needed. Costs what? $4-5? If I was doing it I'd get a good set of 9-13" bipod and then make a set of tripod sticks at a seated, or standing position and have the best of both worlds.

just saying

roadkill46

ressurection of old thread: i use homemade sticks and now a primos trigger stick. 59 dogs from october to april 1st 2010-2011 10 bobcats, 15 fox, and 1 coati. i sit on a dove bucket 7 gallon and i'm 6-4, 230lbs. i have my 835 on rests on my right side with DC choke and DC T shot 3" for when they get close and the transition is to put the rifle but down from the sticks onto my lap grab SG and take them out. the best way is to read your terrain and decide what will be the primary weapon, rifle or SG, the other on the rests at your side. in AZ most shots are well within 200 yards. just my .02 but with the bob and fox pelts i paid for all my expenses for the 'season' and got a new savage 10FP-SR in .308 with the money from the fur auction.