Thread: Center feed, fed up

Basic Member

Center feed, fed up

I am about to pull my hair out, both of them.
    To put is as nice as I can I dislike these center feed magazines, blind and detachable.
    So to make it simple I want a single shot follower, but oh no one makes them. Or I have to modify one.
    Dont know about the rest of the folks but I had zero issues with any of my stagger feed actions, long, short, fat or skinny they worked.
    If some one can direct me to a source I would give two of them a try. Otherwise I am about to liquidate these center feeds and chase around some of the stagger feed actions.

Jeff

Basic Member
    So what caliber are you having trouble with?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

https://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ and go to the "Loading Ramps" tab.

Basic Member
    Scooter, I emailed them several months back just to check availability, no response.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    So what caliber are you having trouble with?
    I just dislike loading them. Fat fingers and a dose of arthritis, try to fish them into the mag under a scope, not my cup of tea.
    May old stagger feeds,to run single shot, throw one on top of the follower and it would eat about anything. The straight feed will fall to one side or the other.

Team Savage

You're not alone, I never had a problem with stagger feed either, singly or from the mag.

I’m of the opinion that the stagger feed is the superior of the two. It’s cheaper for savage to make the centerfeed action. Higher profit margins and they correct a problem that never really existed. Win win.

Basic Member
    I guess I’m the oddball. I only have one stagger feed and it’s a PITA to load. I need to play with the feed lips. They’re too tight and make it really hard to load a round. Then it scratches the heck out of the brass. Sorta turned me off from them and went to center feeds ever since. When I single load, I just push them toward the chamber slightly before pushing the bolt forward and it works perfect.

2 piece scope bases may help alleviate some of the fat fingers problem. They provide noticeably more room at the loading/ejection port. Personally I dont swap scopes much and prefer a set of dual dovetails. Rock solid setup.

Just a thought.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    I just dislike loading them. Fat fingers and a dose of arthritis, try to fish them into the mag under a scope, not my cup of tea.
    May old stagger feeds,to run single shot, throw one on top of the follower and it would eat about anything. The straight feed will fall to one side or the other.
    JSH, I had a similar problem loading my Mod.11 LRH and I changed it to a detachable magazine. Worked well for me.