Thread: 12fv 308 choate tatical or b&c medalist/tactical

12fv 308 choate tatical or b&c medalist/tactical

Well ready for a stock upgrade on the fv out of the choate tactical at $215 or b&c medalist tactical $271 what you all think..rifle mainly punching paper on bench and prone to occasional field watching i read on here theres some small problems with the internal mag on the choate.(little loose)dont know if it's all of them or occasional maybe little offset on barrel channel. So any thoughts or concerns on these 2 would be great .I like the looks of the b&c and color choices. The palm swell on the choate tactical draganov style I handled at a gun show seems lrg for me don't know about just the tactical version of it.

I've had several B&C stocks (my Remington 700 days) and really like them. You can't go wrong with B&C! Especially the M40. I also had a Choate Tactical. It was too bulky for my likings. I did not have any magazine issues with the Choate however. I've always wanted to try one of the B&C adjustable target/competition stocks.

I like the look on b&c and only thing I find i will have to do is drill hole for back trigger screw (that can't be to hard) not much price diff the choat is beefier and weighs more not sure how much though.my brother has the draganov style on his fv its hvy for sure and the vertical grip don't suit me and my not to short finger.thr tactical version little diff just don't know.

Basic Member
    Never used a choate but both my B&Cs have been flawless. My only gripe might be the fore end is too wide. But highly recommended none the less...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 69gen1 View Post
    Well ready for a stock upgrade on the fv out of the choate tactical at $215 or b&c medalist tactical $271 what you all think..rifle mainly punching paper on bench and prone to occasional field watching i read on here theres some small problems with the internal mag on the choate.(little loose)dont know if it's all of them or occasional maybe little offset on barrel channel. So any thoughts or concerns on these 2 would be great .I like the looks of the b&c and color choices. The palm swell on the choate tactical draganov style I handled at a gun show seems lrg for me don't know about just the tactical version of it.
    I went with the Choate Tactical conversion stock from EA Brown. Basically EA Brown shipped my stock to CDI Precision for CNC inletting and installation of their CDI Bottom Metal to accept AICS Mags. Probably added a couple weeks to delivery, but well worth the wait for a 10-round DBM. Love this stock!

Quote Originally Posted by TXRoadlizard View Post
    I went with the Choate Tactical conversion stock from EA Brown. Basically EA Brown shipped my stock to CDI Precision for CNC inletting and installation of their CDI Bottom Metal to accept AICS Mags. Probably added a couple weeks to delivery, but well worth the wait for a 10-round DBM. Love this stock!

thanks been on there web site choate little cheaper was concerned about the internal mag issue as I am not ready to upgrade to mag feed at this time..more funds required...that's pic of yours sure does look nice and beefy

I have the choate stock and have had no problems with the mag I've got about 150rds through my 308 never had a miss feed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ktmracer358 View Post
    I have the choate stock and have had no problems with the mag I've got about 150rds through my 308 never had a miss feed.

That's nice to know ktmracer..is yours the straight tactical version and about how long have u had it.the choate tactical and the b&c medalist tactical is in my budget the choate about 250 and b&c touching close to 3 so not alot of difference ..the internal mag is a concern..hows that palm swell feel on your choate might be little large for me...thanks

That's nice to know ktmracer..is yours the straight tactical version and about how long have u had it.the choate tactical and the b&c medalist tactical is in my budget the choate about 250 and b&c touching close to 3 so not alot of difference ..the internal mag is a concern..hows that palm swell feel on your choate might be little large for me...thanks
    This is the one I have. I wear a medium glove and the swell is just a little big for me but not big enough to sand it down. I have had it for about a year and a half

Quote Originally Posted by ktmracer358 View Post
    This is the one I have. I wear a medium glove and the swell is just a little big for me but not big enough to sand it down. I have had it for about a year and a half

nice setup..my brother has the ultimate tactical which is similar to yours with the sloped forearm.the palm swell on his is little lrg for me. the streight tactical version has the full stock.like txroadlizards. my brother had no issue with his on the mag either so might just be that version..

Basic Member
    I mounted my 12FV in the B&C Medalist blind mag stock. It's very solid and it has functioned well in limited use so far. I like the vertical grip shooting position and the palm swell. Aside from those important details, it looks really cool.

Basic Member
    "thanks been on there web site choate little cheaper was concerned about the internal mag issue as I am not ready to upgrade to mag feed at this time..more funds required...that's pic of yours sure does look nice and beefy"

Understand on funds and doing conversion up front. The cool thing is, I think down the road you could still send either to CDI and they will inlet and install free if you buy the bottom metal from them. I can confirm your observation regarding the Choate. It is beefy. I've weighed the rifle and it comes just a hair shy of 15# with scope and bipod. Sure is a joy to shoot. I went with .223 because my opportunities to shoot beyond 250-yards are exceedingly rare and it is so much cheaper to shoot. I've bigger stuff for filling the freezer. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either of the stocks you are looking at.

Well looks like either one will will be good to go. soon as I get past my over thinking everything mode.hopefully get out this weekend for little range play...(dang rain) thanks to all .

Basic Member
    I suffered from overthinking syndrome when I was deciding on a replacement stock. All of the options that have been discussed here are good choices and any of them will serve your needs well. Go with what your heart tells you, put a lot of rounds down range, and don't look back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2905 View Post
    I suffered from overthinking syndrome when I was deciding on a replacement stock. All of the options that have been discussed here are good choices and any of them will serve your needs well. Go with what your heart tells you, put a lot of rounds down range, and don't look back.
    Words of wisdom to live by for sure

I also have a question on the b&c tactical about the butt pad anyone ever removed theres heard they are glued or something in case you needed to change the length of pull shorter or longer..they spec from factory 13.75

Basic Member
    I also have a question on the b&c tactical about the butt pad anyone ever removed theres heard they are glued or something in case you needed to change the length of pull shorter or longer..they spec from factory 13.75
    Mine is glued on with no fasteners. I don't have any experience with removing one.

I decided on the b&c tactical ordered straight from them.I got the tan w/blk webbing.. so thanks to all with help and wisdom.will let all know how this goes..

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2905 View Post
    Mine is glued on with no fasteners. I don't have any experience with removing one.
    I wonder if a fella called them and asked them what they used if they would tell him.
    620-225-6688

or

http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index....lay&page_id=33
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I wonder if a fella called them and asked them what they used if they would tell him.
    620-225-6688

or

http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index....lay&page_id=33
    when I called them they said it was made into the stock so I assume it has a lip or something that goes inside the stock and is glued ..they said if I need to change the trigger length they would do before shipping to me..I opted to take it the way they sell them which is 13 3/4 in..that's the std on most factory stocks and is what the tubberware stock that came on the 12fv is...