Thread: 260 Rem LRP Accuracy (update)

260 Rem LRP Accuracy (update)

I want to thank all the members who have made suggestions concerning the LRP. My goal was to reach 0.5 moa. I want to share what I found. I am seeing 0.45 moa with Berger 140g hunter hybrid just touching the lands. Incredibly, I am seeing 0.25 moa with Berger 130 AR hybrids, again touching the lands (0.000 jam) 39.5g H4350 CCI BR2. The main thing is patience. This is totally a factory Savage. I found the action screws were not properly torqued and I cleaned up the barrel with David Tubbs Final finish. This has made a world of difference in accuracy for my barrel. I am using Tubbs throat maintenance kit as recommended. Needless to say the Berger 130 AR will be my go to bullet with the 140 hunter elite (hybrid) a close enough second.
    I had about given up on the factory LRP but patience pays. The Savage will shoot! For anyone interested I tossed the Caldwel lead sled. I am using Caldwell bag front and a wedge bag rear. I am shooting using the free recoil technique off the bags. It wouldn’t work with a lighter gun. Also, a Vortex viper at 20x.
    Again, thanks to all.

Basic Member
    Good news on finding the load
    Sometimes it takes more time than others but the end result is a good reward
    Plus one on the front bag and rear wedge, I never have been able to shoot consistent small groups off a sled.
    Jack

Basic Member
    Thanks for the update! I've been telling people to use the Tubb Final Finish system. It has made a difference when I've used it, too. I also recommend the Hornady ELD line of bullets. I have not worked up a load that did not reach 1/2 MOA or less at mag length. Hopefully, that will avoid having to chase the lands.

Basic Member
    My brother's 260 LRP also shot best with 130's.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
    Thanks for the update! I've been telling people to use the Tubb Final Finish system. It has made a difference when I've used it, too. I also recommend the Hornady ELD line of bullets. I have not worked up a load that did not reach 1/2 MOA or less at mag length. Hopefully, that will avoid having to chase the lands.
    Thanks. I think it was you that recommended Tubbs. It works wonders for a factory barrel. Also according to Zeidker the throat maintenance bullets polishes the throat and can extend barrel life 20-25%. It only takes a couple rounds every 100 rounds. I have the Hornady ELDs but haven’t tested yet. Berger told me you likely would not see a more accurate bullet than the 130 AR in their lineup. I tested at mag length and others but reserved a 0.00 jam for last resort. Bingo. they are not actually jammed into the lands so no problem to eject a loaded round. I will get to the ELDs though.

Basic Member
    Isn’t that Tubb system just polishing the throat,which can be done with valve grinding compound? Essentially it’s using a bullet to lap the barrels throttle. It’s a neat idea and I’m glad to hear it does work and isn’t a gimmick,not that I believe David tubb would put his name on something that didn’t perform as advertised. David Tubb is why I started coating my bullets with hbn. Great shooter and a valuable resource to the sport.

No the final finish actually removes 0.002 to 0.003 metal from the entire barrel length depending on the barrel. That’s where I saw considerable accuracy improvement. The Tubbs throat maintenance just polishes and helps with Fire cracking in the throat. A couple rounds per100 shots. I have come to trust David Tubbs and I am going to repeat the process on my 308 factory barrel. Final finish is not recommended for custom hand lapped barrels. I to use HBN on all my bullets.