Thread: Hall trees from Quarter- sawn sycamore wood from 5 foot diameter tree

Basic Member

Hall trees from Quarter- sawn sycamore wood from 5 foot diameter tree

Basic Member
    These are a few photos of a hall tree made out of an old sycamore tree my nephew had near Delphos, Ohio (Middlepoint) that he had to cut down to build a garage. He gave me part of the trunk. It yielded over 1500 board feet of wood. The quarter sawn has a lot of figure in it, similar in some ways to quarter sawn oak. Not as hard but a good wood to work with.
    My brother in law made the hall tree but I finished the same. Sycamore does not take stain very well, a lot like pine in that regard. Gets splotchy.
    Since this is primarily a gun site I am having a Ruger 10 22 stock made out of the wood. We will see how that goes.

That has some nice figure in it for Sycamore. BTW, your nephew's name isn't Tod is it?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Jim, it is a gun site...but I have a sawmill and enjoyed the pictures. I do fence with mine. I used to do everything but got so busy with the fence that it is all I saw. Locust, White Oak and Larch which is what the split rail is made of.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00g0g_cPEJys86GIw_600x450 (1).jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	5909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00G0G_jzfOG8Cah5d_600x450.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	5910Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00H0H_dKLZ6NiZOZB_600x450.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	5911
    Run until your heart bursts

Basic Member
    That would be correct.

Basic Member
    Plasticweld: I had no idea that the wood would stand exposure to water and weather for fence posts.

Basic Member
    Very nice grain there in that Sycamore, no doubt enhanced by the quarter sawing. Some of the less penetrating stain used in cabinet building might work better. The Larch is actually an excellent choice for wood siding, We recently recovered our camp with it leaving the live edge exposed which gives a more rustic look. The bark will remain on boards cut from green logs even after drying, but not from those cut from dead logs.

I live in Northeast Philadelphia Pa. and most streets have the above trees with six to eight foot dia. and ten to fifteen feet long when cut down, my father's neighbor wanted the tree on their property line cut down as it was making the sidewalk heave up.
    My father didn't want to so she waited till he went to his summer vacation and had it cut down tree was 6 feet dia and 14 feet long (figure the board feet) and was taken away by the tree service on a truck..

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jims View Post
    Plasticweld: I had no idea that the wood would stand exposure to water and weather for fence posts.
    Larch is a naturally rot resistant wood just like cedar. It is rated for direct contact with the ground, the same as pressure treated. It is however 30 percent stronger than the Lob Lolly pine that is pressure treated, that they tend to make the fence out of at the big box stores. Most of my market is those with older or more expensive homes that don't want the green pressure treated look and want the rustic style of the fence we make. People drive hundreds of miles to pick up from us, it never stops amazing me how far someone will drive to have something the other guy does not have.
    Run until your heart bursts

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    That has some nice figure in it for Sycamore. BTW, your nephew's name isn't Tod is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by jims View Post
    That would be correct.
    Tod's been one of my best friends since our high school days.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    to J. Baker He has been pretty active lately in the Army Reserves