Thread: New to SavageShooters

New to SavageShooters

Hi all - new to the forum and introducing myself. My one Savage rifle is an FCP HS Precision that was originally chambered in 300 WM, but I recently rechambered to 300 PRC and am currently doing load development on. I've added a KMW Loggerhead cheek riser (love it) and the new barrel is a 28" 1-9 Bartlein with an APA Lil Bastard brake. My passion is long range target shooting. I used to take the 300 WM out past 1000 yards, and am looking forward to pushing the 300 PRC even farther (if I can find the sight lines somewhere). Pic of the rifle at a nearby private range during recent load testing. Pretty good results with the new cartridge so far.

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Basic Member
    Welcome. What do you think of the 300 PRC so far? I have been reading a lot on it. What kind of brass are you using? Heard that it’s hard to use the hornady brass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lclevenger View Post
    Welcome. What do you think of the 300 PRC so far? I have been reading a lot on it. What kind of brass are you using? Heard that it’s hard to use the hornady brass
    I love the round - hate the brass. I've settled in on using 76.2gr of H1000 with the Hornady 225gr ELD as my starting baseline. With that load on my last trip out (Thursday), I got a 15 fps extreme spread, ~1" group at 200 yards, and roughly 2865 fps. Compare that to when the rifle was chambered in 300 WM, I was shooting 76 gr of H1000 with a 200 gr bullet, 4" shorter barrel, and getting 2840 fps. It is a superior cartridge, no doubt, but until better brass comes available, I will continue to be frustrated with the accuracy and prep. I'm getting 1/2 MOA and should be getting more like .3-.4. Still, I absolutely love the new configuration of my Savage. It feels just right for me and is an absolute blast to shoot. On my load development trip, I launched off 4 fouling rounds (not great loads) at my new steel setup at 750 yards. Even with the mediocre loads, I put 3 of the 4 in about a 1/2 MOA group, and one was outside that. When I get the load set, put my new glass on top, and get some decent brass, I expect this to be a 1500 yard rifle.

I'm also going to be loading up some rounds with Retumbo. I found it to be superior in my ex-300 WM because I had a longer bullet seating, resulting in higher case volume - and it performed slightly better than H1000. However, finding that powder has turned into a unicorn hunt (same with RL26). I wish the reloading industry didn't have such a captive audience with respect to specific components. It breeds bad business practice (like having a product become unobtainable for months at a time). In most other industries, the practices we see with some powders, brass, etc. would put companies out of business [mini rant over - lack of RL26 and Retumbo has just been adding to my Hornady case frustrations].

EDIT: I forgot to mention I'm using Hornady brass. It's pretty much the only thing available right now without going through some wacky fireforming with other cartridges.

Welcome from northeast georgia
    Ackley was right all along

Welcome
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Team Savage
    howdy

Basic Member
    welcome aboard and keep us posted on the rifle and cartridge.