Thread: Savage 110 Wood stock

Basic Member

Savage 110 Wood stock

So in a short few months my collection of savages has increased to 3. 110 Tactical in 6.5 CM, 110 Varmint in .223 (Both insanely accurate), and now a 110 accutrigger in a wood stock in 270 win. Eventually I want to build it into a 280 AI. But for now it will be a trusty deer rifle in the fall. Which brings me to my question.

Are the wood stocks valuable as far as taking it off and selling it? And if not is there any way to protect it from the rigors of being hauled in and out of tree stands? Or am I better off selling it and finding a tupperware stock (or waiting for oryx to release their savage LA chassis).

I am very careful about caring for my rifles so I don't abuse them but at the same time accidents happen, things get scratched. Thanks in advance.

There's not much you can do to prevent dings and dents in your laminate stocks, you may be able to sell it to someone if they are looking for that particular style. If you buy a Tupperware stock and put on it, that's what I would do. I have 3 savages myself (2 in laminate stocks which are my PD gun and my LR gun) the 3rd is my 30-06 hunting rifle which is still completely stock except the scope and rings. That way I don't feel as bad about it when I get dings in the stock, it gets wet or gunked up etc... The Tupperware stock may effect your current accuracy in a negative way for longer shots however.

Basic Member
    I have done a tupperware stock on a rifle other than my savages (they came with the accu-stocks). It's worth the time, money and effort.

Mike

Basic Member
    Thanks. I found a place to buy an accustock for a reasonable amount so I may try to do to do that. Hopefully I can find 10 more posts to make so I can reply to an classified on here that someone wants a wood stock.

By "wood stock" I assume you mean birch rather than laminate?

While I try to be careful with my wood-stocked rifles - and sold a beautiful #1 Ruger because I didn't want to chase elk with it, wood stocks can and do get "character marks". HAd a Rem M700 in the field for the first time and took 3 falls coming down a talus slope while hunting elk. That thing was like new in the morning and by noon was in worse shape than the 7mm RM I had hunted with for over 20 years at the time. Dings and scratches in the wood, action, barrel and scope. It happens.

My latest Savage has a birch stock with dings in it. A little filler and paint will make it like new. If it gets banged up again, more paint will fix it. Cheap and effective.