Thread: Please explain bolt release location

Basic Member

Please explain bolt release location

New to the board and Center fire Savage rifles. Looking to purchase a bolt action in .223. Prefer heavy barrel all tho ultimate would be fluted and threaded. The Accu-Stock / Accu-Fit fits me well. Leaning towards the 110 Varmint or Predator. Both have bottom bolt release compared to my Desert Tactical that has the top release. Is there any rhyme or reason to which model rifles have the top or bottom style? The top seems natural to me . Any advantage to either one?

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    All of the input I get is NOBODY likes the bottom bolt release. It's a real pita.....especially when it comes to reassembly. The only reason I can think of is the engineers had to do something to justify their job. For this "clean" upgrade, it took 22 revisions to make it happen.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    I was originally on the lookout for a rifle with a bottom bolt release, but having read a bit more I'm pleased mine came with top bolt release. Seems like seven is the minimum number of fingers you need on one hand to make the bottom release manageable.
    Model 10 FCP-SR | Vortex Viper PST | Schuler Brake

I have rifles in both variants. The top release is easier, bottom is doable but awkward. Top release is metal, bottom is plastic pushing metal. The top release serves also as a cocked indicator, with the bottom release, one looks at a pin in the center of the bolt screw for cocked status.
    Top is better IMO

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    ....Seems like seven is the minimum number of fingers you need on one hand to make the bottom release manageable.
    LOL true

I must be in the minority, it’s no more difficult than a TBR. Just use two fingers. Middle finger as trigger puller and pointer finger to pull bolt release.

Whats so difficult about that?

Didn't take me long to figure out. I've had several rifles that the trigger had to be pulled to extract the bolt. Like Rusty says: now it's one finger in either side of the guard. Doesn't take an extra hand - just move a finger.

Not keen on plastic parts - but they are lighter, never rust, and it seems the way of the world. Handguns are half plastic now.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-top-vs-bottom
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    I must be in the minority, it’s no more difficult than a TBR. Just use two fingers. Middle finger as trigger puller and pointer finger to pull bolt release.

Whats so difficult about that?
    Works for me!

If you buy a rifle withou an expectation of changing the trigger and the stock yada yada, the bottom release is a handy device.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I put a Boyd's Lightweight Thumbhole stock on my bottom bolt release. No issues (swapped out for a metal trigger guard but kept all the bolt release parts).

It's the Axis style plastic magazine release/retainer that I am concerned about. Granted, so far it has worked flawlessly. Just doesn't have a robust aura about itself.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    To remove the bolt with the bottom release isn't too bad. To remove the rear action screw underneath the release button is a PITA. I only have one with the bottom bolt release and likely won't get another one with it.