Thread: Savage Bolt Action Rifle 250-3000

Savage Bolt Action Rifle 250-3000

I have a Savage Bolt Action Rifle chambered in .250-3000. It has a date stamp on it from 1916 and is in from what I can tell the original bluing and finish on the stock. Serial number is 2345. Can anyone tell me anything about this rifle? I don't even know what model it is. I was told by the guy that sold it to me that it was a model 99. However, I called the Savage Rifle Company and they said to their knowledge there were none of those made in bolt action. So, I am left to believe that I have the only one ever made or it is a different model. I'm leaning towards the different model. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Basic Member
    Sounds like maybe a model 1920, http://savageshooters.com/content.ph...er-Bolt-Action

If you can post a picture it would help!

Congrats on owning a rifle chambered in one the finest cartridges ever invented. The .250-3000 is something special. It may not look like much on paper but it will kill anything you point it at.

Could be a model 1920 or might be a model 40 or 45 as well.

Does it have a detachable magazine? If not then it's a model 1920 made in 1920 with that serial number.

There won't be a date code on it, that didn't start till 1949.
    Savage- "never say never".

John Haviland wrote an article in the February 2019 issue of American Rifleman on the .250-3000 Savage that you would probably enjoy.

If you go into my profile and look at my Avitar, that is the rifle I am speaking of.

It does not have a detachable magazine, no. However it does have three sets of dates on the barrel stamped into it which has the month, day, and year of when it was made. The earliest being 1916. If you look at my Avitar picture that is the rifle I am referring too.

Quote Originally Posted by scootergisme View Post
    John Haviland wrote an article in the February 2019 issue of American Rifleman on the .250-3000 Savage that you would probably enjoy.
    To bad that article had a few mistakes good article but not completely accurate
    Old Smokey

Quote Originally Posted by SgtCampbell View Post
    I have a Savage Bolt Action Rifle chambered in .250-3000. It has a date stamp on it from 1916 and is in from what I can tell the original bluing and finish on the stock. Serial number is 2345. Can anyone tell me anything about this rifle? I don't even know what model it is. I was told by the guy that sold it to me that it was a model 99. However, I called the Savage Rifle Company and they said to their knowledge there were none of those made in bolt action. So, I am left to believe that I have the only one ever made or it is a different model. I'm leaning towards the different model. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Molde 99 were all lever actions no exceptions
    my guess would be 1920 but cant tell your pic is very blurry
    great round though I have two 99,s and a custom model 10 in 250-3000
    Old Smokey

Quote Originally Posted by SgtCampbell View Post
    It does not have a detachable magazine, no. However it does have three sets of dates on the barrel stamped into it which has the month, day, and year of when it was made. The earliest being 1916. If you look at my Avitar picture that is the rifle I am referring too.
    All of the dates on the barrel are simply patent dates for design elements used on the rifle and have nothing to do with when the rifle was made. It's a Model 1920.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain