Thread: Article: Light Primer Strikes

Article: Light Firing Pin Strikes

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    New to this... but how does this section relate to the bolt lift kit offered by Nat Lambeth (and others)?

If you back off the cocking piece thinking that it reduces the bolt lift by changing the spring pressure/preload, you are mistaken. You have only reduced the amount the firing pin will fall when the trigger is pulled. For every full turn you have shortened the Firing pin travel by .036" reducing the energy for igniting the primer. The preload of the spring is not effected by the position of the cocking piece it is effected by the position of the cocking piece sleeve, held in position by the BAS. When the bolt is cocked it further compresses the spring 1/4", the approximate amount the firing pin travels.
    Model 10 FCP-SR | Vortex Viper PST | Schuler Brake

One would have to know the stacked dimensions of the new pieces to determine what the net effect would be on spring tension. To get back to the factory preload you would have no change in the position of the cocking sleeve once the BAS is tightened and the pointed set screw are in the correct position.

Basic Member
    Good to know. I'll try to remember to take measurements pre and post.
    Model 10 FCP-SR | Vortex Viper PST | Schuler Brake

I'd like to add, Accutriggers, if the rifle is equipped, can cause light primer strikes/misfires. I'd look there first.

I'd like to add, Accutriggers, if the rifle is equipped, can cause light primer strikes/misfires. I'd look there first.
    This is one of the reasons this article was posted. Accutriggers do not cause light primer strikes or misfires.

An Accutrigger with the trigger spring adjusted too low can be easily tripped on accident. This can happen on bolt closing or if the trigger is touched or maybe just a slight bump of the weapon. When this happens the sear will slip from the trigger and the safety blade will stop the sear from releasing the the firing pin. This is how it is designed and is not considered a light strike or a misfire. The firing pin never touches the primer.

First, the SEAR stopping the cocking pin determines the stroke of the firing pin. The only problem the other causes is just low firing pin spring force. I have a bolt with that problem. Yes it misfires. Second, I have seen enough on here through the years to know that some (a few?) Accutriggers have been out of spec enough to cause misfires. No matter how good their QC is, their high speed manufacturing does let some lemons slip. Re: the ratchet barrels that they let out. Third, the only Savages I have is two of this style, but I became so sick of their complexity that they have been laying in pieces for years with match grade barrels waiting, and I'm actually afraid to bother the gunsmiths around here with a firing pin change on one. Don't worry I will get up the courage to tackle it or have it tackled, I'm getting the urge back. Just so you know, I was a degreed manufacturing engineer, have tinkered with guns most likely longer than you have lived, and I converted both of these RH actions to Left Bolt and they are both done except some stupid annoying details like the firing pin. In my life I've also converted a Springfield and a Remington. Rebuild a 1903 Springfield or Mauser and see why I just got sick of these two.

Extreme cold can also be a factor. Have experienced it wolf hunting at-40. Cure is no lube on bolt

Quote Originally Posted by kapman View Post
    Extreme cold can also be a factor. Have experienced it wolf hunting at-40. Cure is no lube on bolt
    True Kapman, and a good point. I mentioned poor choice of lubricants with the intent of covering the dampening effect of dried out lube but was not clear on the cold weather impact. Most of you northerners and Kanuks are already familiar with freezing weather and its effects on everything not just rifles. Duely noted.

I use kroil, to test it I placed a bottle cap full of it in my freezer for 3 days at minus 11 degrees, there was no apparent thickening or wax formation, hunting at minus 20 with no problems with 6.8 AR platform. good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by kapman View Post
    Is that Fahrenheit?
    The one who dies with the most toys still dies--except in Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by SFLEFTY View Post
    Is that Fahrenheit?
    Curious thing... -40°F is the same as -40°C.
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

I have had light strike problems and finally found "my" problem was when I installed the bolt head pin, I did not get it centered and the firing pin was riding on the ID of the bolt head pin.

Quote Originally Posted by blvedere View Post
    I have had light strike problems and finally found "my" problem was when I installed the bolt head pin, I did not get it centered and the firing pin was riding on the ID of the bolt head pin.
    I wondered if there was anyone who has had that problem. I have never seen that happen even after the hundreds of times tearing them down and back together. When I first started messing with them I thought It would be easy but the wavy washer has always prohibited it from moving.
    I

I perhaps stated my problem incorrectly. When I inserted the bolt pin I did not get the C/L of the bolt pin hole, that the firing pin went through, lined up with the C/L of the firing pin, allowing the firing pin to rub on the bolt pin. Don't know if that explains it any better. LOL