Thread: GRS Stocks

Basic Member

GRS Stocks

Has anyone purchased a Savage 10 GRS or installed one of their stocks on a Savage rifle?

Basic Member
    Not yet. I want to build a long action 260 on a model 110 or 112 action,once they’ve got left handed models hogged out for one of the actions.
    The GRS design is so comfortable. Whether prone or on a bench. Offhand feels like it was born there. In my opinion the GRS design is the future of stocks going forward.

Basic Member
    Last time I checked, Savage had an inclusive deal for 10 series. Wanted one for my 10 FCP. Didn’t see one one their web site for model 10’s so emailed them. All they said was not for my model. May have changed when savage went to their new chassis system. This was about 2 years ago though. A bit expensive but most users I email liked the GRS. Did find one used but I passed on it.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    Thanks. I hear same thing. GRS only makes stocks for bolt rifles with DMS. My older flat top 110 has a blind mag so no go. I am currently looking at the Savage 10 GRS, but prefer laminate stock to poly/fiberglass. Will try to talk to Savage custom shop and see if a special order can be done for this rifle with a laminate vs poly stock.

I got a 10 GRS pretty soon after they came out, and I couldn't believe how comfortable it was to hold in different positions and shoot. Fits like a glove. Now that I've worked out my extractor issue, I'm even more happy with it. It is probably my favorite stock.

Basic Member
    I have one on a Howa 1500 in .308. Very comfy and nice ergos..at least once I bought the thicker recoil pad. I would not buy one at the stand alone price though...just too $$$.

Basic Member
    Celltech, did you get a poly or laminate stock from GRS?

Basic Member
    It's the plastic one loaded with glass fiber...the laminate is much prettier.

If you subscribe to eurooptic's email list, they periodically clear out their inventory. I think the GRS stocks were 50% off a month or so ago.

Basic Member
    I have the GRS Berserk for Savage 10 PH. It's the predecessor to the Savage 10 FCR-SR/TR

With the 4 Shot Mag.

It's very comfort to shoot. I own a Boyds featherweight thumbhole too but, the grip position and the Buttplate and the cheek is much better.

Basic Member
    Last time I checked at the GRS website I could have sworn that they blanks that aren’t milled at all,so as long as the gunsmith is skilled I assume they’ll be able to hog out the stock allowing for the fitment of most actions.
    If is a blind mag it’s easy enough to transplant the hardware over to the new stock.
    Yep. GRS stocks are expensive however there isn’t anything in the marketplace to compare to since they are basically offering custom fitment at entry level pricing.
    I love them. They fit so perfectly,the ergonomics are second to none.

Basic Member
    Ryfulman, I agree. Just frustrating as all their stocks are for DBM and I prefer blind mag. I want a laminate stock and am looking at a Savage 10T-SR right now just not sure of factory Savage mags as have heard a lot of feeding issues with them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olsener1 View Post
    Ryfulman, I agree. Just frustrating as all their stocks are for DBM and I prefer blind mag. I want a laminate stock and am looking at a Savage 10T-SR right now just not sure of factory Savage mags as have heard a lot of feeding issues with them.
    Feeding issues?
    I’m using savage mags in my 308 with the original accustock and I used accustock bottom metal for my model 12 in 22-250 and a boyds at one stock.
    I’m using the 4 shot flush mags and I’ve got a couple of the 10 round mags. The 22-250 uses 90-95 grain high bc bullets,seated very long and the 308 has shot a handful of brands and weights which led to many different cartridge feeding and I never had an issue with cartridge feeding.
    I’ve heard that factory savage mags can be a bit tight at the top,so if a guy bends out the lips feeding issues correct themselves. I much prefer the savage mags to the AICS mags for my chassis. The savage mags allow for much longer seating depths,which is a huge bonus if chasing the lands.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olsener1 View Post
    Why can’t you just order a blank and have a smith ream the stock for a blind mag?
    Or am I missing something?

Basic Member
    Ryfulman, thank you for information on Savage mags. Nose helpful. Regarding blank, I looked at that and cost was extremely prohibitive. Way beyond what I could afford.

Basic Member
    I have one and frankly, I don’t like it. Should have tried it before jumping in but, that’s the way it goes.

I had to modify the trigger guard, file a notch in the upper back corner, to keep it from hitting my middle finger in recoil. Another friend with larger hands shot it and the bolt hit his thumb repeatedly under recoil. Could you modify your hand hold placement to alleviate that, yes but, then it’s different for every other rifle that doesn’t have a GRS stock.

I have somewhat narrow set eyes and found the cheek rest a little on the wide side. And the stock had a tendency to want to roll over when placing the weight of my head on the rest. I suppose an artifact of the asymmetric design.

And to top it off, for all its “adjustability”, neither the cheek rest or butt pad extend enough to really get a proper fit for me, both need more extension. However, At 6’4” that is a common problem with almost any stock.

I should add I have the stock plastic version from Savage and it’s flexible, read too flexible for my liking. If you decide to get one, I’d strongly consider getting the laminated version instead.

IMO!

Olsener1, sounds like you need to make Harpoon1 an offer on his GRS stock.