Thread: 112 fvss same action / barrel as newer 112 Magnum Target?

112 fvss same action / barrel as newer 112 Magnum Target?

Hello SavageShooters... first post here. I just bought, used, what I THINK is a Savage 112 fvss. It's got a gorgeous laminate wood-grain looking stock, and a stainless steel fluted barrel, and is chambered in 300 Win Mag. From look-up tables, the G143396 serial number tells me it was made in 2003. I have tried to find more information about this rifle, but came up pretty short on the net. On the Savage sight the only thing close to it, is their 112 Magnum Target chambered in 338 Lapua Magnum, and it has a muzzle brake and is not stainless steel barreled. My question is how close to that Magnum Target is my beast? Mine does have a heavy (bull) barrel compared to my other 30 cal rifles, and it weighs a ton. Does mine share the same action etc as that newer 112?

Does your rifle have a stainless action to go with the stainless barrel? IF so then it may be a different Model. The stock may not be factory either. The stainless model with a laminate stock that Im thinking of might have been a 112 BVSS in 300 win mag. Does it look like this?

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Thank you Robinhood... YES, my rifle looks like that! I thought fvss meant that it is a laminated stock with stainless steel barrel. Am I wrong on that?

Quote Originally Posted by M88T View Post
    Thank you Robinhood... YES, my rifle looks like that! I thought fvss meant that it is a laminated stock with stainless steel barrel. Am I wrong on that?
    Yes. F = synthetic (plastic) stock. B = laminate wood stock

Don't ever recall a Model 112 FVSS off the top of my head. There was a Model 12 VSS and 12 VSS-S (single-shot) that was similar but came with a Choate Ultimate Varmint stock, but it was only offered in a short-action.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    There was plenty of 112 FVSS's made, most being before the introduction of the new short action in '97. These older models used a blued action with a stainless barrel up until about 2000, then a stainless action was standard. The surplus of the 112 BV stocks were used up on long action calibers until the new magazines came out.
    The 112 Magnum Target is built on long version of a small port large shank target action. It is essentially a stainless version of the 110 BA.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Thank you all... from what everybody said, I am now convinced that I have a 112 BVSS in Win Mag. The stock looks like the pic above, laminated wood stock. Both the barrel and action are all stainless steel.

Basic Member
    They have the same outside dimensions but they are not the same action. There is a serious safety concern that's been addressed numerous times if you're thinking of putting a 338 Lapua barrel on a standard small shank action. The 112 Magnum Target is a single shot that has the large barrel shank. It also has a smaller ejection port to add rigidity as well as thicker locking lugs and lug recesses. The Lapua actions also undergo more heat treatment to make them stronger to withstand the added bolt thrust generated by the large Lapua case. I've read many reports of locking lug setback when a Lapua barrel has been installed on a standard action.

" I've read many reports of locking lug setback when a Lapua barrel has been installed on a standard action."

Thank you emf77. That answers my question. I have no intention of changing out that 300 Win Mag barrel to a 338 Lapau. One of the main reasons I bought it was because it WAS 300WM, as I didn't have an accurate 300WM in my collection. So there ARE differences from my 112 BVSS and the newer 112 actions. Thank you.

Basic Member
    No problem. I wish they still made the 112BVSS. I thought of that as their version of the Sendero. I ended up building my own with a synthetic stock about 10 years ago because they stopped making them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by efm77 View Post
    They have the same outside dimensions but they are not the same action. There is a serious safety concern that's been addressed numerous times if you're thinking of putting a 338 Lapua barrel on a standard small shank action. The 112 Magnum Target is a single shot that has the large barrel shank. It also has a smaller ejection port to add rigidity as well as thicker locking lugs and lug recesses. The Lapua actions also undergo more heat treatment to make them stronger to withstand the added bolt thrust generated by the large Lapua case. I've read many reports of locking lug setback when a Lapua barrel has been installed on a standard action.
    So I’m reading this post and couldn’t help but notice the implication that the target actions are “more heat treated” than savages’s normal hardening process.
    And being the inquisitive person that I am I’ve gotta ask how the processes differ.
    So I’ve gotta ask how does savage normally harden the actions.
    If you know of course
    Thank you

Basic Member
    Before you get confused, it's the Lapua Magnum actions that get the different heat treat. Savage induction heats the receivers and then they are oil quenched. The whole process is automated and takes about 45 seconds. The machine does 2 at a time. The difference in the process from the standard receivers to the magnums is the quench temperature.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Sorry I did not mean to confuse that all target actions were heat treated differently than the standard ones. I just meant that the Lapua actions are. Thank you Sharpshooter for the clarification. I too always wondered what was done differently in the heat treatment. I had only ever just been told that it was different, but not what the difference was.

Basic Member
    Anyone know screw spacing on 338 target single shot

Basic Member
    Pretty sure it's the same as any other long action for the front and rear screws. Not sure about the center screw though without measuring it myself. I may be wrong but I believe that the screw spacing for all long actions has always been the same. The only ones changing I've ever heard about were the short actions.

Basic Member
    Thank you for the post. Would you measure that some time.... I have the 338repeater. But not the target singleshoot .repeater measures alittle over 5inchs