Thread: 110 Wolverine jams when loading from magazine

110 Wolverine jams when loading from magazine

I recently got a 110 Wolverine (.450 Bushmaster) and for the most part I really like it. It shoots very consistent 1.5 inch groups with the standard factory ammo. However, it has one problem. It comes with a detachable Magpul .308 magazine....and the ammo feeds from the magazine very poorly. In fact, almost every round I try to load from the magazine will bind as it travels into the chamber and jams. When it binds, if I wiggle the bolt around it will unbind and then slide into the chamber. Not good enough. It should be chambering my follow up shots smoothly. Also, if I work the bolt very slowly it doesn't bind as much. That also is unacceptable. Bolt actions shouldn't need to be babied. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on how to solve the problem? It is very frustrating. This gun isn't much use to me if I can't use it for hunting. Is there another magazine that would be better for it?

You have a 308 magazine feeding 450 Bushmaster? Is this the correct magazine for the gun? Although the 450 has similar case head to the 308, the body is larger diameter.
    Have a look at this article... which discusses similar mag issue to what you described.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/09/450...#axzz5hpcnkCKr

Yes, its the magpul AICS magazine for the 7.62 cartridge. It comes standard with the 110 Wolverine from the factory. I'm starting to wonder if Savage rushed this into production, since it doesn't seem to work very well.

That article makes sense, but unfortunately the magazine and parts in that article are for a standard .223/5.56 magazine....which won't fit in the 110 Wolverine. It only takes the .308 AICS mags. Do they make a magazine/follower for the AICS .308?

So how exactly is it jamming up? What's catching where?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Its hard to describe. But when the bolt slides forward and pushes the round out of the magazine, the round does not completely center on the bolt face and therefore enters the chamber at a slightly crooked angle. It then binds when the bolt is about 2/3 of the way forward. At that point, if I pull the bolt backwards just slightly, it releases the bind and the round then centers properly and will move forward into the chamber.

Sounds like it's basically has the same issue most guys are having when feeding the 6.5 Creedmoor from the same magazine. That's what happens when you use a magazine designed for one cartridge (.308) to try and feed other cartridges it was never designed for (6.5 Creed, .450 Bushmaster) - you get so-so feeding.

I have zero experience with the .450 Bushy in this or any other platform so I'm not going to be of any help to you with that particular cartridge.

You state that the cartridge ends up at a slight angle and not centered on the bolt face. Is the care head above or below center? Can you tell if the tip of the bullet is started into the chamber or not when the rear of the round clears the feed lips? If it's not, how far away is it?

Most likely the bullet isn't started in the chamber yet when the case head clears the mag feed lips which is what would normally guide the round the rest of the way into battery. Unfortunately there's really no solution for this as the magazine would either need longer feed lips or the round would have to be longer to bridge that gap.

If you know someone with a metal AICS magazine you could try out, that may be an option just to see if it's more reliable than the plastic Magpul.

Aside from that, call Savage and complain.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Thanks. I called Savage yesterday and they said it could possibly be a faulty magazine. I told them I doubt that's the problem. Its a PMAG....a spring, follower, and a case. There's not much there to screw up. Nevertheless, they are sending me a new magazine. They said if that doesn't work, then I need to ship them the entire rifle so they can completely go over every part. 3 week turnaround. Based on what I see if my action when I load rounds, I do think that the problem is that the feed lips need to be longer in the magazine. That would keep it straight all the way in.

Quote Originally Posted by timotheius View Post
    Thanks. I called Savage yesterday and they said it could possibly be a faulty magazine. I told them I doubt that's the problem. Its a PMAG....a spring, follower, and a case. There's not much there to screw up. Nevertheless, they are sending me a new magazine. They said if that doesn't work, then I need to ship them the entire rifle so they can completely go over every part. 3 week turnaround. Based on what I see if my action when I load rounds, I do think that the problem is that the feed lips need to be longer in the magazine. That would keep it straight all the way in.
    Any update on this issue?

Looking at .450B rifles and seeing quite a few threads on feeding issues.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by timotheius View Post
    I've got one coming any update on this problem?

Basic Member
    I had the very same problem with my Wolverine that I bought in December 2018. Savage sent me the replacement magazine which was no better. They had me send back the rifle. Upon return to me the rifle fed perfectly. Problem solved. Not sure how they fixed it but I’m happy now. Turnaround was quite reasonable.