Thread: So you want a lightweight hunting stock?

So you want a lightweight hunting stock?

I have seen a few posts in the past with guys asking about the weight of various stocks. I'm in the process now of a stock project and took the opportunity to weigh a few of the factory stocks I have around.
    My findings were as follows.

Factory synthetic long action blind mag dual pillar bedded (no magazine) varmint barrel channel metal trigger guard (from a 110FP) 2#5.3oz

Factory wood birch, long action blind mag no pillars (no magazine) sporter barrel channel plastic trigger guard (from a 111G) 2#9.55oz

*Factory Accustock, synthetic short action Bottom bolt release heavy barrel channel beavertail fore end with metal trigger guard and bottom metal in place no magazine (from a model 10TR) 2#11.2oz

*Factory Accustock, synthetic short action bottom bolt release, heavy barrel channel, standard for end with metal trigger guard and bottom metal in place no magazine (from a model 10PC) 2#6.2oz

After weighing them I was impressed by the fact that a fella could do a heck of a lot worse than to have a factory Accustock on his lightweight hunting rifle. To me the accustock 2#6oz seems like a great bargain for a rigid, impervious to weather stock with a full length aluminum bedding block and bottom metal attached. Even the factory dual pillar synthetics are quite serviceable without excessive weight and though some folks complain ablout flex I have found them to be quite serviceable.

I hope maybe someone will find this info useful or even help add to it and I'll try to take the time to weigh a few more as I tinker with stuff and might even weigh some other parts (bolt handles etc.) while I'm at it.

*(The weights I listed for accustocks include bottom metal and metal trigger guards please take this into account if using these for comparison)
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 03-17-2019 at 11:52 PM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Team Savage
    I have never been able to tell the difference in accuracy between an accustock and the basic tupperware stock. I've had several Savage rifles with the tupperware stock that easily shot under an inch, consistently, and were 6 1/4 lbs.

For my money, the very best lightweight stock option for a Savage rifle is the genuine walnut Lightweight Hunter stock. It's 27 oz. (only 4 oz. more than the tupperware stock but a full 11 oz. lighter than the accustock) and I can get a scoped short action model 10 with a 20" barrel that still hunts at less than 7 lbs.

My lightweight rig wears a tupperware stock. Shoots better than I can.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

It surprises me that a Birch is only 2.6 pounds (2#lb 9.55oz). That is only 5.6-9.6oz heavier than a standard McMillan. With judicious drilling in the butt, the difference could be even less, and the balance still good.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter View Post
    It surprises me that a Birch is only 2.6 pounds (2#lb 9.55oz). That is only 5.6-9.6oz heavier than a standard McMillan. With judicious drilling in the butt, the difference could be even less, and the balance still good.
    Is that McMillan weight you quoted with or without bottom metal attached?
    I had to weigh the accustocks with the bottom metal, trigger guard and screws(no magazine) because I had to get it over 1Kg for my scale (triple beam balance) to work.
    After 600G the 1KG equivalent was the only accessory weight that I had for the balance I used, and the accustock without the bottom metal, metal trigger guard and screws was over 610G (my scales max without accessory weights) and under 1KG (2.2#) so I weighed the accustocks with the bottom metal and metal trigger guards to get the weight into a range I could read.
    For a legitimate comparison stocks should be weighed with bottom metal and trigger guard for an accurate comparison to the accustocks I listed.
    I guess I should go back and weigh the bottom metal and trigger guards and subtract that weight from my figures.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    I have seen a few posts in the past with guys asking about the weight of various stocks. I'm in the process now of a stock project and took the opportunity to weigh a few of the factory stocks I have around.
    My findings were as follows.

Factory synthetic long action blind mag dual pillar bedded (no magazine) varmint barrel channel metal trigger guard (from a 110FP) 2#5.3oz

Factory wood birch, long action blind mag no pillars (no magazine) sporter barrel channel plastic trigger guard (from a 111G) 2#9.55oz

*Factory Accustock, synthetic short action Bottom bolt release heavy barrel channel beavertail fore end with metal trigger guard and bottom metal in place no magazine (from a model 10TR) 2#11.2oz

*Factory Accustock, synthetic short action bottom bolt release, heavy barrel channel, standard for end with metal trigger guard and bottom metal in place no magazine (from a model 10PC) 2#6.2oz

After weighing them I was impressed by the fact that a fella could do a heck of a lot worse than to have a factory Accustock on his lightweight hunting rifle. To me the accustock 2#6oz seems like a great bargain for a rigid, impervious to weather stock with a full length aluminum bedding block and bottom metal attached. Even the factory dual pillar synthetics are quite serviceable without excessive weight and though some folks complain ablout flex I have found them to be quite serviceable.

I hope maybe someone will find this info useful or even help add to it and I'll try to take the time to weigh a few more as I tinker with stuff and might even weigh some other parts (bolt handles etc.) while I'm at it.

*(The weights I listed for accustocks include bottom metal and metal trigger guards please take this into account if using these for comparison)
    Thank you for posting the information Sir. I like my Accustocks.