Thread: So you want a lightweight hunting stock?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So you want a lightweight hunting stock?

I have seen a few posts in the past with guys asking about the weight of various stocks. I'm in the process now of a stock project and took the opportunity to weigh a few of the factory stocks I have around.
    My findings were as follows.

Factory synthetic long action blind mag dual pillar bedded (no magazine) varmint barrel channel metal trigger guard (from a 110FP) 2#5.3oz

Factory wood birch, long action blind mag no pillars (no magazine) sporter barrel channel plastic trigger guard (from a 111G) 2#9.55oz

*Factory Accustock, synthetic short action Bottom bolt release heavy barrel channel beavertail fore end with metal trigger guard and bottom metal in place no magazine (from a model 10TR) 2#11.2oz

*Factory Accustock, synthetic short action bottom bolt release, heavy barrel channel, standard for end with metal trigger guard and bottom metal in place no magazine (from a model 10PC) 2#6.2oz

After weighing them I was impressed by the fact that a fella could do a heck of a lot worse than to have a factory Accustock on his lightweight hunting rifle. To me the accustock 2#6oz seems like a great bargain for a rigid, impervious to weather stock with a full length aluminum bedding block and bottom metal attached. Even the factory dual pillar synthetics are quite serviceable without excessive weight and though some folks complain ablout flex I have found them to be quite serviceable.

I hope maybe someone will find this info useful or even help add to it and I'll try to take the time to weigh a few more as I tinker with stuff and might even weigh some other parts (bolt handles etc.) while I'm at it.

*(The weights I listed for accustocks include bottom metal and metal trigger guards please take this into account if using these for comparison)
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 03-17-2019 at 11:52 PM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.