Thread: Mysterious CIL 950T! Help!

Mysterious CIL 950T! Help!

Hi all - I bought this 950T from an online auction awhile back, and I'm stumped as to what action model this is. It's a single shot, currently chambered in 223 with a super heavy bull barrel, and sitting in an epoxy bedded and HORRIBLE target stock that looks like it was originally a blank and unfinished! That being said, the trigger is extremely light and with minimal effort it shoots ragged hole groups with 40gr Amax bullets and 26.0gr of Varget at 100yds. The throat is very short so bullet weight/length is pretty much limited to 55gr. I loaded some 68gr HPBT and they were set WAY back into the case and were tumbling on paper. The barrel is 28" and 3 full turns of the cleaning rod tells me it's a 1:9.3 twist. It's a very peculiar rifle. Current plan is to take it to the local smith and have it throated for longer/heavier bullets.

Anyways here's some pics, and curious to get feedback on what action model this is. I'm specifically curious as I'd like to put this into a nicer stock but no idea what inletting model to order!

Basic Member
    Looks like a 110 Savage J frame target action if my Google searching is correct. What weight bullets do you want to shoot? Might be better to just swap the barrel for something new and shiny with a 7 or 8 twist......

Basic Member
    Now that's a real odd ball. Basically it's a 110 short action, series J, but the screw spacing is not even close to what it should be.(4.522") I suspect the middle screw was added later by the user. All of the 950 CIL's I ever seen had a round top rear bridge, like current manufacture. Not many of these were made, and they all went to Canada.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

I have 1 of the original 950 cil's. It's chambered in 308w with a 26" varmint contour (.875" muzzle). It has the flat rear/round front bridges for scope mounts. The action screw spacing is 4.522" with no middle screw. The stock is a boyd's stock that looks like the old winchester52c stock with the old whiteline recoil pads. The 950's were setup for either scopes mounted on the receiver or iron sights. The iron sights had 2 holes in the back on the left side of the receiver for a mounting bracket for redfield sights & 2 holes 3/4" back from the muzzle on the end of the bbl for a sight block. The sights off of my Remington 40x fit the cil 950.

If you look down in the action of your cil you should be able to see the end of the bbl. on it should be stamped the twist & caliber (223/308/etc).

I ordered a 30" varmint contour (.875 muzzle) shilen bbl for mine chambered in 308w with a .336" neck and a 1 in 14 twist to shoot either 155gr smk's or cast bullets in. Everyone shoots bugholes with jacketed bullets. Try to shoot 10-shot moa groups with a cast bullets doing 2600fps+.

What the cil 950 looks like in it's original configuration.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The bolt on that rifle is numbered to the receiver and has the same offset/not centered knurling line around the bolt handle.

A sight set for these rifles.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I can't say enough good about these rifles, excellent triggers, heavy, easy to setup & the boyd's stock rides the bags well. Been running a 36x target dot on mine & shooting cast bullets on the 100yd line. I get a star patter on the muzzle of the bbl from the bullet lube off the cast bullets.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Enjoy your cil 950t