Thread: New PRS build

Basic Member

New PRS build

Here's a few pics of my latest personal build to be used for this year PRS.

Specs:
    6.5CM
    Savage M12 action
    MPA Comp Chassis
    26" 1:7 Shilen Bull
    MPA Brake
    Warne 20moa base
    Warne QD 34mm rings
    Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56mm

ALL work done by me....Action blueprinted, barrel blank spun up (chambered, threaded), Spot bedding in chassis.

The below are actually Starline SP brass, not Hornady. I normally use hornady and wrote it out of habit.

Hella nice build man.... Some darn nice groups even @ 900 yards. Time to down size that 900 yard gong though... Maybe an 8-10" gong with that kind of performance.

I am so far out of it I didn't even know that Hornady made small primer brass!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I am so far out of it I didn't even know that Hornady made small primer brass!

They don't. I usually use Hornady and wrote it out of habit. They are Starline brass

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Hella nice build man.... Some darn nice groups even @ 900 yards. Time to down size that 900 yard gong though... Maybe an 8-10" gong with that kind of performance.

That was just what I had sitting out at 900 when I calc'd the MV.

Basic Member
    Beautiful build, it is as much of a work of art, as it is a fine shooting rifle. Congrats on a great project.
    Run until your heart bursts

Good looking and shooting rifle. Can't ask for much more than that!
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Banned
    Nm

Basic Member
    Missed the caliber... I have a 12 lrp in 6.5c that shoots lights out. I know people love and hate savages but I can honestly say I like mine. Of course I don't compete with it so that statement only pertains to accuracy from a bench

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Banned
    Nm

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    YOne thing I am a bit surprised is how well the 1:7 twist is working for you. That is insanely fast for a 6.5! I use 1:8 & it steadies the heaviest loads easily. I’m wondering, have you tried lighter weight bullets? Does it still work well with say 120-130gr?

Correct, 7 twist is fast for a 6.5. I wanted to make sure I could spin a 147 or larger bullet all the way to the target.

As it turns out, I have only shot 140's. When I was reloading some loads just to break the barrel in, I had more 140's and 143 or 174's. So, I just threw a 39.5gr charge straight off the elec scale, no trickle. I wasn't worried about anything other than getting some fire formed brass and breaking it in. Well, my PRS partner was working some loads up at the same time. After each of my shots, I started cleaning when I'd hear him say, "Dang", "You got to be kidding me", "WTF." Honestly, I thought he was referring to his loads. Finally, he said, "Are you even looking at where you're hitting?" I said, "No." And I really wasn't, I had a full size B27 target I made up on the back with 50 1" circles and a tiny back marker dot in the middle, shooting 1 shot at each. So, I really wasn't looking at the previous shot, just the next one in line. I got back on the scope and seen of the 15 of the 18 shots all were touching the black dot and all where well inside the 1" circle. (I did shoot 2 at first, to bring my scope on). Now this got my attention, so I really bared down on the next 11 break in rounds, just to see for myself. 9 more touched the dot! I guess I got lucky on picking a break in charge. Afterwards, I didn't even try the 143's or 147's, in fear of 'hurting my rifles feeling.' lol After dialing my loads in better, I just figured I'd stick with the 140's and ordered 2K more, just to make sure they came from the same lot.

I'm not going to lie and say or even believe it'll shoot .08" groups every day. In fact, it never has again. However, it has shot in the upper 'teens' and 2 others under .12". Although most are low twenties. So, I do consider this a 1/4" gun, all day long.

Basic Member
    What's your velocity with that load?

Banned
    Nm

Basic Member
    With a 26" barrel you can get the 147s close to 2800fps. I have them going 2820fps in my 27". That's with H4350. With RL26 people are getting well over 2800fps.

What is the velocity of your load now?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
    What's your velocity with that load?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
    With a 26" barrel you can get the 147s close to 2800fps. I have them going 2820fps in my 27". That's with H4350. With RL26 people are getting well over 2800fps.

What is the velocity of your load now?

Basic Member
    Leaving some velocity on the table but if it works for you then that's all that counts.

Basic Member
    i have 4 savage PRS rifles all savages 2 factory and 2 i built
    savage 10BA 308 win
    savage 110BA 38 lapua
    savage 10 6.5 creedmoor I built
    savage 10 250 savage I built this one will surprise you youknow it was the cartridge used to come up with the 6.5 creedmoor.

6.5 creedmoor

250 savage
    36.5grs varget 75gr VMAX = 3470 FPS and 1/2" 100yds
    36.5grs varget 100gr sierra MK HPBT= 3088 FPS most groups less than 1/2" at 100yds
    the big surprise...... 40grs reloader 17 berger 115gr VLD = 3055 FPS!!!!!!!

Basic Member
    Actually the 6.5 Creedmoor was based off of the 30TC cartridge.

.22-250 Remington is a necked down 250 Savage.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savagebrother View Post
    youknow it was the cartridge used to come up with the 6.5 creedmoor.
    As Rob01 said, The 6.5CM's parent case is the 30TC

Nice rifles, BTW.

Awesome build I really love the Feel and look of the MPA chassis. Really want one, need to decide on buying another savage dropping it in, custom action barrel etc or just like a Howa Barreled Action

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurfkiller View Post
    Awesome build I really love the Feel and look of the MPA chassis. Really want one, need to decide on buying another savage dropping it in, custom action barrel etc or just like a Howa Barreled Action
    Go custom action. No offense to OP but if you're serious about PRS, a Savage action is just going to frustrate you and hold you back. I shot two matches with my savage before I went all in and found a used PRS rifle with a Surgeon 591 for a decent price. You're running the bolt enough with the rifle sitting in awkward positions that the heavy bolt lift on a savage will become a real hindrance. Been there, done that.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
    Go custom action. No offense to OP but if you're serious about PRS, a Savage action is just going to frustrate you and hold you back.

See I just don't get it. Why everyone is so down on savage actions. I have had several...Several fellow competitors say similar, until they get behind an action I have trued (I have 6, not counting mine and my wife's, on the local match circuit). Every single one has said, "I have never felt a savage run that good." It's NOT hard to make them run smooth. Bolt to raceway tolerances are the key to running smooth. Heavy lift is easily cured. It's not like I have reinvented the wheel or doing anything spectacular to them. I just take the same time as I would with any other action. My only complaint is trigger selection and availability of stock/chassis without waiting 8 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by A&8's View Post
    See I just don't get it. Why everyone is so down on savage actions. I have had several...Several fellow competitors say similar, until they get behind an action I have trued (I have 6, not counting mine and my wife's, on the local match circuit). Every single one has said, "I have never felt a savage run that good." It's NOT hard to make them run smooth. Bolt to raceway tolerances are the key to running smooth. Heavy lift is easily cured. It's not like I have reinvented the wheel or doing anything spectacular to them. I just take the same time as I would with any other action. My only complaint is trigger selection and availability of stock/chassis without waiting 8 weeks.
    The biggest problem (and reason for the complaints) is that most of these guys look at Savage's like they're an Erector Set - they think they can just slap any menagerie of parts together and it should work. Usually it does work - well enough for a basic hunting rifle, but as you know for a competition gun everything has to be properly fitted and tuned to work smoothly and reliably. Most of these guys don't have the money, patience or skill to make that happen.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain