Thread: 12 BVSS single shot loading long rounds

12 BVSS single shot loading long rounds

Hi Guys - Does anyone have any experience single shot loading longer than magazine rounds in the 12 BVSS top load setup. Any issues doing it with a top laod setup? I'm looking at picking one up with a 1:9 barrel and was curious if I'd be better off with the 12 BVSS or the 12 LONG RANGE PRECISION VARMINTER if I want to load with long bullets and longish rounds. I'd appreciate anyone's advice as all my experience is with detachable magazine fed rifles that you can just machine a simple sled to facilitate single shot loading.

Thanks,

RIch

Basic Member
    .22-250? What round do you think you will run in a 9 twist barrel that will come close to exceeding the magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    .22-250? What round do you think you will run in a 9 twist barrel that will come close to exceeding the magazine?
    75gn Hornady ELDs and 80gn Berger VLDs jammed into the rifling make for some fairly long rounds. I talked to my local shop that I work with on other stuff and it sounds like the LRVP is a better choice for what I want to do. I do appreciate the quick response.

Basic Member
    Don't know about the .22-250 but my .308 BVSS single loads easily. Just plop the round in the port so it is sitting on top of the magazine lips and close the bolt. Slides right in. OAL just isn't an issue when loading that way for me.

12 BVSS single shot loading long rounds

22-250?

12 BVSS: It has a large loading/ejection port. It is easy to load and unload rounds to 3.000" long with the correct front baffle. Let me know if you get that 22-250 over three inches, it will still load thought the top port but I have never seen one that long. You could run a 30-06 if you wanted to. You would have to pull the bolt to get an unfired 30-06 round out.

12 LRP: This is a target repeater action with a shrouded bolt with a oval port but the opening is still a touch longer than 3.000"

Hope that helps.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Most Savages that I've dealt with have a relatively short throat and in my experience magazine length rounds will touch the lands. I have even neck sized some, loaded them long, run them through the mag and let the bolt finish seating them when closed. I'm pretty sure you'll find that loading longer than magazine length rounds is unnecessary to reach the lands in most cases.
    I often fire single rounds from my 12BVSS (blind mag) during load workup just by dropping one on top of the mag and closing the bolt. No issues at all. Also if you do find it necessary i'm pretty sure that by removing the magazine and sliding a single shot follower in through the bottom you'll have the setup you're referring to if that's what you desire.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Thanks for all the info guys. For clarification I realize running an 80gn in a 9 twist barrel is probably wishful thinking, and even the 75s can be iffy depending on the barrel. I have a Shilen 8 twist barrel on the shelf for this project just in case.

I went back and had a second chance to measure the 22-250 112 Series J single shot I was using for reference earlier and the throat seems pretty eroded so the rifling is much deeper than I anticipated which kind of screwed up any comparison numbers I could get. My guess is you guys are spot on with your assessment that the round will not have to be as long as I was anticipating.

I ordered the 22-250 LRVP and should have it next week. Really looking forward to seeing what it can do.