Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walmart special axis 223 heavy barrel reloading journal

Walmart special axis 223 heavy barrel reloading journal

This is the start of my reloading journal for the progress of my new rifle.

Rifle- it is a savage axis 223 heavy barrel with accutrigger. It is sitting in a Boyd's pro varmint stock that has been pillar beaded. It has a weaver 1 piece rail and a 4-14 monstrum tactical ffp scope.

I will be using exclusively lapua brass but will be switching up powders and bullets as time goes on. Being a 1:9 twist I plan to see how far I can push the bullet weight before it becomes unstable. I will keep a running round count in the top left corner of every update of the range trip.

Typical shooting will be 100-350 yards but a couple times a month I will be taking it out to 500yds.

I will be loading the fist loads soon which will be fire forming loads for the brass. I will be shooting berrys 55gr fmj over a charge of cfe223.

Any questions feel free to ask pictures will be included as range trips happen

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

great tread idea.

Thanks I was thinking this would give me a good progress report on my rifle but also I could maybe present some info that is helpfull to others

Basic Member
    If you haven't done so already, switch out the trigger spring for the varmint spring (also called target spring by some online stores) and you'll get a much lighter trigger pull. In my 9 twist 12FV I found the 53 gr V-Max and IMR-3031 to be extremely accurate all the way to 500 yds.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    If you haven't done so already, switch out the trigger spring for the varmint spring (also called target spring by some online stores) and you'll get a much lighter trigger pull. In my 9 twist 12FV I found the 53 gr V-Max and IMR-3031 to be extremely accurate all the way to 500 yds.
    Thanks for the advice I plan on tweaking the trigger like you recommended. I should be close to shooting the fire forming groups soon. I prepped the brass last night and will get the rest finished up probably this weekend. Hopefully we can get some warmer and dryer weather soon so I can get to my shooting spot.

Basic Member
    On my 1:9 12FV I load up Sierra 69 Tipped Match Kings on top of 24.5 gr of Varget and Starline brass. Gets me right under 2900 fps and 1/2" groups.

Basic Member
    Nice.
    The 223 is an excellent cartridge when the barrel has enough twist as to stabilize the heavy for caliber bullets. With the 70 and 80 grain lead tips the cartridge is certainly deer sized game capable and of course varmints don’t stand a chance.
    I built a fast twist 22-250 and it uickly became my favourite shooter. I think I’m going to sling the 95 grain sierras for this coming season.
    Anyway for varmints checknout the 53 grain vmax,unless you’re after mucho velocity,then the 40 grain vmax are absolutely explosive for anything small. Pink mist all day long.
    As I was testing bullet weights,as my barrel is a 26” 7 twist shilen but I was basically flying blind since load data for 90 grain projectiles was tough to find at the time,so I started with 80 grain projectiles and worked up to heavier bullets based on the data acquired using a specific piwder(superformance).
    Anyways my point being I had some mind blowingly tight groups with minimal load development using the hornady hpbt. They shot so well I almost stuck with them,almost. And they are inexpensive too.
    Enjoy the new rifle.

Thanks for the advice I was able to load up the fire forming loads using 26gr of cfe223 under the berrys 55gr we will see how they shoot hopefully Wednesday

The rount count increased today. It took 5 shots to get somewhat on target today. What not my best showing but what can you expect from break in rounds that are also being fireformed with no load development. Now that the excuses are out of the way there is one group in there that shows promise for some bulk 55gr berrys bullets. I will say I was very comfortable behind the rifle when they went off. Have not shot sense December so I'm rusty.

By the way. All groups will be shown in this thread no hiding no tricks. I'm not ashamed to shoot horrible groups lol.

Looks like of the weather holds this coming week I plan to shoot these loads out to around 350. Might as well there just cheap reloads.

Basic Member
    Nice. There is no substitute for time behind the rifle.
    If you decide to try out cfe223 I’ve found it shot best,with single digit ES and SD,when it was loaded to the high end of the powder data.
    So once you get into load development you should see groups tighten as velocity increases. At least that has been my experience using that powder.
    Looks like we are getting some nice weather here so I think I’m going to take a 12 pack of off brand cola out to the range and break some of the rust off the 22-250 and 260. Pop cans make spotting impacts easier at long distance. Beats walking up each time.

These were loaded using cfe223. I don't plan on doing any more load development with the 55s at this point I will be picking up some hpbt match bullets next that will be heavier

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmracer358 View Post
    These were loaded using cfe223. I don't plan on doing any more load development with the 55s at this point I will be picking up some hpbt match bullets next that will be heavier

I had great consistency with the 53 grain vmax. Barrel needs a 12 twist though. They shot sub MOA with cfe223 at 3600-3800ft/s and the groups tightened up til 4000ft/s when they started to open up. I ran up to 4200ft/s before bolt lift got stiff and half moons presented themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfulman View Post
    I had great consistency with the 53 grain vmax. Barrel needs a 12 twist though. They shot sub MOA with cfe223 at 3600-3800ft/s and the groups tightened up til 4000ft/s when they started to open up. I ran up to 4200ft/s before bolt lift got stiff and half moons presented themselves.
    Yea that's moving out forsure. This states it's a 1:9 twist but measuring it last night it looks like it's closer to 1:8.5. I'll be trying hornady 75gr hpbt

Basic Member
    Ryfumman,

You probably already know this, but your wording might mislead some of readers, so let me clarify.

The 52/53 grain bullets don't "need" a 1:12 twist, it requires at least a 1:12 twist to spin it enough to achieve stability.
    Having a faster twist' like a 1:9, is not a problem, having a slower twist would be a problem.

I have a 1:9 twist .223 that shoots lights out with 52 SMKs, 53 SMK FB and Berger 52 FB bullets.
    I have even shot 52 grain SMKs in my Les Baer Super-Varmint .223 that has a 1:8 twist to an 5-round group average of 0.352 at 100 yards.

I've never had a problem shooting a light bullet accurately in a fast-twist barrel in any caliber as long as I didn't press the velocity in a fast-twist barrel so much that the bullet spins itself apart and disintegrates.
    It is pretty hard to do that in a .223 cartridge with a 52 grain bullet.
    I don't think you could put enough powder behind a 52 grain bullet to achieve enough velocity.
    It might be possible with a 35 grain bullet.
    I've seen that happen in .204s with really light bullets.
    Seeing a puff of white smoke before the bullet reaches the target and then finding no hole in the target is quite an confounding experience.

Basic Member
    Just for my own information. Did you go through any break in procedure. I would like to follow a new Savage heavy barrel as much as I can. Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by azguy View Post
    Just for my own information. Did you go through any break in procedure. I would like to follow a new Savage heavy barrel as much as I can. Thank You.
    For me break in procedures are to everyone's opinion. I shoot 50 rds through the rifle then I clean to a perfectly clear bore then I shoot it till accuracy falls off. And repeat.

This is not typical or recommended. This is just what I do.

Also on a side note I pulled the stock off and adjusted the accu trigger and it was set at almost max pull. I set it to minimum and is not a lot better.

Basic Member
    Thank You,
    I know that every one has their own procedures. I am keeping track of break ins and cleaning habits and how they relate to long term accuracy. Yours is the first Savage heavy barrel that I have been able to follow, except mine. I am following several custom hand lapped barrels. Maybe down the road I can report my findings. Your procedure seems the most common even among match shooters.

Thank You,
    I know that every one has their own procedures. I am keeping track of break ins and cleaning habits and how they relate to long term accuracy. Yours is the first Savage heavy barrel that I have been able to follow, except mine. I am following several custom hand lapped barrels. Maybe down the road I can report my findings. Your procedure seems the most common even among match shooters.
    I also did this procedure on my axis 243 heavy barrel and my savage 12fv 308 barrel.

Basic Member
    May I ask? Do you find that they are more accurate after a number of shots? Do they lose accuracy for a time after a good cleaning? Can you give me any numbers on how many shots.

May I ask? Do you find that they are more accurate after a number of shots? Do they lose accuracy for a time after a good cleaning? Can you give me any numbers on how many shots.
    I have noticed so far out of my savages they do shoot a little better when there dirty. It only takes a few rounds after cleaning to get back to a consistent shooting rifle. I I don't shoot enough with them as of yet to determine when the accuracy starts to drop off.

25 more rds down range shooting a 12in steel plate at 350. Was able to finish off the fire forming rounds. I was consistently hitting, I was not able to get a pic of the final targets but I did catch a bullet wake in the process on video. But I'm not able to post here.

Basic Member

No special break in for any of my savage or shilen barrels.

CFJunkie
    i was referring to the 53 grain vmax,and the box says it needs a minimum 12 twist,nowhere did I express or imply anything else.
    Was there anything else?

Basic Member
    Ryfulman,

I guess then I should have addressed my comment to Hornady.

No offense intended, just clarification. Sorry if it sounded that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast