Thread: 93r17 upgrade questions.

Basic Member

93r17 upgrade questions.

So I picked up a 93r17 GV at Walmart. I assumed it would have an accutriger but I know better than to assume. Anyway I am wanting to upgrade the trigger and was wondering if anyone had any good outcomes with aftermarket triggers. If so what would you recommend? Can you state a specific model with your recommendation? This gun looks cheap but I have faith it will be a good shooter with a trigger mod. Funny thing is the only scope/ring combo I had on hand is a viper pst 4-16 illuminated which is worth more than the gun.

Also how do I go about smoothing the bolt? Any help appreciated.

If it has the accu-trigger, get and install the Apachee trigger mod. It will get it below 1 pound and maintain all safties. I did mine and it is a nice, crisp 10ounces.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
    Jester

Quote Originally Posted by mdharris68 View Post
    So I picked up a 93r17 GV at Walmart. I assumed it would have an accutriger but I know better than to assume. Anyway I am wanting to upgrade the trigger and was wondering if anyone had any good outcomes with aftermarket triggers. If so what would you recommend? Can you state a specific model with your recommendation? This gun looks cheap but I have faith it will be a good shooter with a trigger mod. Funny thing is the only scope/ring combo I had on hand is a viper pst 4-16 illuminated which is worth more than the gun.

Also how do I go about smoothing the bolt? Any help appreciated.
    I just picked up a 93R17 BV (wood stock / heavy barrel) at Walmart this afternoon for $199. Mine didn't come with an accutrigger, which was a disappointment, and the bolt was super stiff and gritty. The trigger basically sucks. Super gritty and hard.

The receiver innards were bone dry when I got it, so first thing I did was to give it a heavy coat of Remm Oil. I worked the bolt back and forth a couple dozen times which got it a little better but not much. So I pulled the bolt and took the sharp edge off all the razor sharp edges of the bolt and receiver. Gave it another coat of oil and worked the bolt some more. Better but not great. I'm taking it to the range tomorrow and after that I'll disassemble the bolt and polish all the parts.

I gave the trigger group a few drops of Remm Oil but haven't disassembled it yet. I've been searching the internet for tips. Seems that some people are able to smooth out the trigger and reduce the pull weight by adding a shim and lighter spring. There are a couple videos on Youtube that explain it. I may give that a try. There's also a replacement sear for around $90, but apparently the receiver needs to be modified for it to work.

Good luck and post any information you find.

After a test at the range I could see that this rifle had potential but still needed work. So I completely disassembled the bolt (following a video I found on Youtube) and honed all the sharp edges and polished the contact surfaces. Gave it a full lube with Remm Oil and reassembled it. Then I did the same with the trigger group and added a shim to the rear trigger group mounting bolt (following info I found on Rimfire Central). I didn't have any shim material so cut up a piece from a soda can. I took it to the range this morning and the bolt is smooth, the trigger is much improved, and I got one hole 5 round groups at 50 yards. When the wind dies down I'll give 100 yards a try. For $199 and a couple hours of work I couldn't be happier.

Basic Member
    I saw one at the local gun shop on sale the other day. Might just have to give one a try for that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The good news about Savage MkII and Model 93 is they're great for getting started. The bad news is they only get you started. There's nothing really wrong with the product lines when it comes to plinking, it's just that shooting groups outta thu box may be wishful thinking.

I purchased the Mk II FVSS-XP package. I just wanted a Rem Sportmaster 512X replacement. Several components didn't stay long on the MkII. The Weaver 3x9-40 scope got replaced with a BSA Sweet 22 using the 36gr turrent. The rail got replaced with a DIP MKI, MKII, and 93/93R 0 MOA Series Scope Mount.

The trigger went bye bye for a Rifle Basix SAV-RAT now set for 2lbs. My factory AccuTrigger wouldn't go below 2.5lbs and the POI shift was noticable. It seemed that no amount of windage correction would completely eliminate the yaw to the right even when it was on the bags. Maybe it's just me, but the problem went away at 2lbs of trigger pull.

Added a Caldwell XLA bipod. Make sure to get the optional bipod pivot lock lever, too.

One of the BIG issues with the factory stock is the comb seems to be set for iron sights. I had to tape a Magpul SGA riser to the top of the comb and cover it with an Allen ammo sleeve to get the correct eye-to-scope alignment. Now the bolt can't be removed unless I untape this hack. ;*(

But, at the moment it's a very expensive bullseye eraser platform for testing ammo it likes/dislikes.

The factory stock is due for its Boyd's MKII Green Pro Varmint Stock with Adjustable Comb replacement any day now.

YMMV

Shoot 'lizbeth. Shoot! - Troy Landry