Thread: History Books on Savage 99 Rifle

Basic Member

History Books on Savage 99 Rifle

Hello All: I asked this question on another non related post once and only received one comment, also I searched the forum for any information regarding the history of the 99 with no results. On a related site to this forum it listed basically two books on the history of the 99; 1) The Ninety Nine-A History of the Savage 99 Rifle by DP Murray and 2) A Collectors Guide to the Savage 99 by David Royal. To those of you familiar with both books, what is your thoughts and/or recommendation between the two. From what I've found, the Murray book is out of print and a lot scarcer and more dollars. The Royal book, a newer printing, I've found on four online book sellers at the cost of anywhere from $40-44 as the cheapest. The Murray book runs around $80-90 plus and isn't very available. For a concise and accurate history on the 99, which is the best as far as models made, years of manufacture, differences in models, etc. Thanks for any input.

Basic Member
    I haven't read Murray's book but I have 2 copies of Royal's book. Royal's book has a lot of the history of the Savage 1899 to 99 along with photos and charts to date and ID a rifle. He shows a lot of the very valuable collector rifles. There doesn't seem to be a solid dating/ID system for them (say a Model 99A or B or C etc). I don't know if I'm allowed to sell you one of my copies here but, if you want, I would be willing and for less than the $40.

Basic Member
    I have the book by Murry, very informative. Got it on E bay!!

Royal's book is the newest and as Travis pointed out has a lot of great info and high quality photos.

Murray's book is also very good and informative, but most of the imagery in it are photocopies of lithographs, magazine ads, catalog pages and such. Not that that's a bad thing, just noting the difference between the two.

Bill West published the book, "Savage and Stevens Arms & History" back in 1971, and the only reprinting was in 1989. If you can find one I would definitely recommend getting a First Edition copy over the Second Edition as they removed about 80% of the images in the 2nd. Ed. and it's less than 1/2 the thickness of the 1st. Ed. Expect to pay $150-200 for a 1st. Edition in very good to excellent condition - IF you can find one for sale.

Jay Kimmel also put out a book entitled "Savage and Stevens Arms: Collectors History" which has been printed at least four times now. It's a decent book, but most of the information in it was taken directly from Bill West's book and Philip B. Sharpe's book "The Rifle In America" which was first published in 1938 (excellent book by the way and a definite must have for any gun nut).
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info. The Murray book is very hard to find, think I searched a half dozen online books sources with only two having it, one of which was questionable if they had it available even though it showed it as a in stock item. I have Sharpe's book. The NRA published and offered it maybe around 20 years ago (nice hard bound, gold leaf pages), looks like it should be in some upscale library. Anyway, didn't think of looking in it, it has quite a few pages dedicated to the 99 and all of its variations. Have to read it. David Royal's book is maybe the way I'd like to go having better pictures and such, although I love looking at old ad and catalog pictures.

I have all of them I listed, but regrettably I sold my 1st Edition of Bill West's book about 12-13 years ago when the 2nd Edition came out. At the time I figured I should get the money back out of my first edition while I could and I'd just buy the 2nd Edition and I wouldn't be out anything as I only wanted it for the information within. What I didn't know until my new copy showed up was that they had removed so much information from the 2nd Edition. Needless to say I still kick myself over that one. Live and learn....
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    I have all of them I listed, but regrettably I sold my 1st Edition of Bill West's book about 12-13 years ago when the 2nd Edition came out. At the time I figured I should get the money back out of my first edition while I could and I'd just buy the 2nd Edition and I wouldn't be out anything as I only wanted it for the information within. What I didn't know until my new copy showed up was that they had removed so much information from the 2nd Edition. Needless to say I still kick myself over that one. Live and learn....
    "Been there, done that" reference "Live and learn". Worst thing I ever sold was my new in box Colt Python I bought for $300 back in early 80's for $450 needing some fast cash, had nausea every time I thought about it. Checked before hand, could still buy another new 6' blue with Police discount for $375, never did it--kids to feed and clothe. When I did buy another several years ago cost me 6x what I paid for first. "Live and Learn"!

Travis::: I tried to send you a message on the forum, but can't find how to do it and when I thought I had it figured out, the system said I was blocked to do. Can't tell ya the why! Anyway if you have a new David Royal book as advised, what would you want for it plus shipping. Figure out how to reach you somehow without doing business here on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage 94C View Post
    "Been there, done that" reference "Live and learn". Worst thing I ever sold was my new in box Colt Python I bought for $300 back in early 80's for $450 needing some fast cash, had nausea every time I thought about it. Checked before hand, could still buy another new 6' blue with Police discount for $375, never did it--kids to feed and clothe. When I did buy another several years ago cost me 6x what I paid for first. "Live and Learn"!

Travis::: I tried to send you a message on the forum, but can't find how to do it and when I thought I had it figured out, the system said I was blocked to do. Can't tell ya the why! Anyway if you have a new David Royal book as advised, what would you want for it plus shipping. Figure out how to reach you somehow without doing business here on this thread.
    You need to have 15 posts before you can use the PM system. We do this to keep the scammers from registering and immediately targeting those with WTB ads in the classifieds via PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    You need to have 15 posts before you can use the PM system. We do this to keep the scammers from registering and immediately targeting those with WTB ads in the classifieds via PM.
    Ah-that's understandable. Guess I have a few to go.

I thought Dougs wife was still selling the book after his passing but now that I look back I see she isn't anymore, just says "wherever you can find it", now.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    Hey, 94C. I'm a fairly new member also but I still don't know how to send a PM. I do still have the book. I ordered one from one company and when they didn't respond for over a month I ordered one from another company. The second order arrived within 8 days. The first order showed up 3 weeks after that. I'd like to get $25 for the book and I think media mail with insurance would cost about $5. And yes, I paid more than that but I'd just as soon see someone get some use out of it rather that it sitting on my book shelf still in the box. I'll check with someone to see if I can PM you for confirmation.

Just found out that I can PM but apparently you are unable to send or receive PMs. I haven't been on the site long enough to put an ad in the classifieds and you haven't used the site often enough to buy from classifieds. So we'll have to work something out.

I tried to send you a message but the site said you don't want to receive messages. If you want to get messages, you'll have to go to your general settings and activate your PM & email options.
    Last edited by Travis98146; 03-05-2019 at 02:54 PM. Reason: more info

Basic Member
    Travis: Went in and clicked Email button that indicated 'to receive emails from forum members' and think I activated a 'button' that said I could receive PM's. I did change my email to my own, previously had been using wife's. You could try email or PM and see what happens. Interested in book if we can get out cyber space connections figured out.

Basic Member
    According to another member, Royal's book isn't worth squat. Maybe so, maybe not but it does has some fantastic pictures. I'm not a Savage purist so the information in it was good enough for me. Check to see if you can access the classified section. I'll try to send you a PM directly. If it doesn't work, I'll check with Admin to see what we can do.
    Last edited by Travis98146; 03-09-2019 at 12:10 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by Savage 94C View Post
    Travis: Went in and clicked Email button that indicated 'to receive emails from forum members' and think I activated a 'button' that said I could receive PM's. I did change my email to my own, previously had been using wife's. You could try email or PM and see what happens. Interested in book if we can get out cyber space connections figured out.
    As I noted before, you need 15 posts before you'll have access to the PM system - at which time I believe you had 12. You need one more at this point.

Jim

Basic Member
    J. Baker-Noted, will get to the magic #15 one of these days, maybe. Thanks for the update.

Travis-I noted you had furnished a email earlier, but didn't have time to send you a response. See it's gone now. That's ok, Maybe by the time the weekend is over I'll have 15 posts so we can PM. Interested in your book. Thanks for your effort.