Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New twist on MkII extraction problem- now cases won't eject.

New twist on MkII extraction problem- now cases won't eject.

Hello all, new member here. I wanted to add my spin on the common MkII extraction issue, and I would appreciate any advice you could give me. Thank-you in advance. I bought a Mk II FVSR in December of last year for my daughter as a Christmas present. She loved it, we took it out and ran 100rds of CCI mini-mag through it without issue. Our next trip out we put some CCI SV through it and after about 20rds we started to get some failures to extract- case stayed in the chamber. It wasn't every round but I'd say maybe one every 10 shots. Over the next few trips the issue got worse, we shot more mini-mags, more SV and some Blazer through it and each time there were more and more failures to extract. The gun was cleaned after every range trip.

Doing a little research I saw this was a common problem and contacted Savage CS. They were very helpful and said they would send a new cartridge guide, extractor and extractor spring clip right out. When I received the parts, I installed them into the bolt and went to the range. I shot 60 or so rounds through the gun without issue and then I began to have failures to eject. The case was extracted from the chamber but was not ejected out of the gun, nor did it remain on the face of the bolt. It was just loose in the gun. This did not happen every shot but over the last 20 or so rounds I'd say it happened 4 times.

Examining the bolt it does seem like the underside of the cartridge guide is a bit worn, as if it was rubbing against the metal where it mates with the barrel.

Has anyone had this issue and if so how did you resolve it. Thanks.

I had the same issues until I started lubing the bullets. Since starting to lube, I am over 1000 rounds with ZERO issues of any kind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
    Jester

Quote Originally Posted by Jester560 View Post
    I had the same issues until I started lubing the bullets. Since starting to lube, I am over 1000 rounds with ZERO issues of any kind.

Thanks Jester, researching this issue I saw your mention of lubing the rounds. If I remember correctly you were having extraction issues.? Were you having cases extracted from the chamber but not staying on the bolt face long enough to meet the ejector and being left rolling around in the gun? Thanks.

No. Mine were staying in the chamber.

Make sure you have the extractors in correctly. They are not the same nor interchangeable.

Jester

No. Mine were staying in the chamber.

Make sure you have the extractors in correctly. They are not the same nor interchangeable.

Yes, thank you, extractor on the right, cartridge guide on the left.

Basic Member
    Sometimes all the components are not aligned 100% with each other. The ejector could be slightly too far away from the bolt face, just hitting the outside of the rim, letting it fall instead of flipping. It is easy to adjust by loosening the screws and pushing the ejector tip closer to the center of the bolt face, then re tightening. This also goes for magazine placement.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    lol, i just bought one and its doing exactly this. i'm bummed. my last one was flawless. i'm not lubing ammo, its a 22 plinker.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Sometimes all the components are not aligned 100% with each other. The ejector could be slightly too far away from the bolt face, just hitting the outside of the rim, letting it fall instead of flipping. It is easy to adjust by loosening the screws and pushing the ejector tip closer to the center of the bolt face, then re tightening. This also goes for magazine placement.
    Th k you for this information. Never once considered what you mention here, just assumed that would be set from the factory. That being said, ejection has never been the issue until now. Extraction was the problem. That’s been fixed with the replacement parts, but I have a suspicion that it may return once these parts wear a bit. Like I mentioned, things were perfect for 60rds or so.

thanks again for the insight.

As an experiment I'm going to run the "two spring fix" at the range tomorrow. I have read that the second spring cut outs won't engage the extractor and guide rod but mine will engage one or the other, but not both. I ran a few rounds from a mag into the chamber and ejected them without firing. Seems like a really rigged solution but I guess tomorrow will tell.? If it runs, it runs. We will see.

Wasn’t able to shoot today but I did work some more teying to get the second spring on the bolt. I filed one spring a bit but still couldn’t get it to fully fit. After thinking some more I may just shoot it again without the second spring and see how it goes. If I have more issues I’ll just call Savage again and see what they say.

May I ask a question??

Which way are the notches in the spring clip facing? There is a notch on each side where the clip goes over the extractor and the ejector blades. Are the notches on the head side of the bolt or the back end(handle end)?

Jester

May I ask a question??

Which way are the notches in the spring clip facing? There is a notch on each side where the clip goes over the extractor and the ejector blades. Are the notches on the head side of the bolt or the back end(handle end)?

Notches are in the correct orientation facing the rear of the bolt. I re-read my post and it wasn't clear that I was trying to install two springs, one on top of the other. I couldn't get the second spring to fully seat and don't really like the idea of running it without it being fully seated although I have read guys saying it stays put.?

Got to the range today. The last time I was out I had issues towards the end of the session with a couple cases being extracted but falling off the bolt face prior to being ejected. This was after I had replaced the spring, extractor, and guide rod with the new ones from Savage.

Today I ran 50rds through it without an issue. Every case was extracted and ejected. Didn’t add the second spring so I’m not sure what accounted for the change in function. I’ll keep shooting it and see what happens.

In the FWIW department. I purchased a brand new MKii a while ago, First trip to the range I had a lot of extraction problems. I think I had ammo from 4 different manufactures with me. The lot of CCI's that I was shooting was giving me fits. I assumed it was the rifle and continued shooting groups. I soon realized other brands were extracting and ejecting perfectly. After a little checking I discovered the CCI's were very snug in the chamber. Now, ether the CCI's run big, or, my chamber is on the tight side. I haven't taken the time to figure out which one it is.

Basic Member
    So what's up with CCI ammo extraction in the MKii? CCI standard velocity gives me fits in my MKii FV and this started within the first 500 rounds after purchasing it. It will flawlessly extract and eject everything else that I feed it including Remington, Winchester, Aguila, Federal, and Norma. Normally, I would just avoid CCI but it consistently gives me the best groups of everything I have tried.

Basic Member
    I have the same problems with mine. I think it's the lube/wax they use. I haven't noticed it with the Eley or Wolf ammo yet.

The Mkii FTE is unbearable with CCI SV and Green Tag 1070fps LRN ammo. Cases wedge now at about shot #15. MiniMags and Stingers run fine. Every other ammo in both Pb and Cu run fine. "It will flawlessly extract and eject everything else that I feed it". FTE got so bad I had to field clean the bore before the Aguila SE 1130fps LRN started erasing the bullseye again. Handed over by box of Green Tag Comp to someone else on the range and wrote them off. CCI SV is just as bad in my Mkii.

I read in other groups about the Mkii bolt spring not being tight enough, and/or the extractor tooth not being sharp enough, and about how easy it is to mess up either or both into a non-operational/dangerous firearm.

Got home and called Savage directly. The rep offered to USPS a new extractor and spring at no cost, though they can't explain the source of the malfunction.

Liking the Savage customer support. Not liking the FTE one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by unodemo View Post
    The Mkii FTE is unbearable with CCI SV and Green Tag 1070fps LRN ammo. Cases wedge now at about shot #15. MiniMags and Stingers run fine. Every other ammo in both Pb and Cu run fine. "It will flawlessly extract and eject everything else that I feed it". FTE got so bad I had to field clean the bore before the Aguila SE 1130fps LRN started erasing the bullseye again. Handed over by box of Green Tag Comp to someone else on the range and wrote them off. CCI SV is just as bad in my Mkii.

I read in other groups about the Mkii bolt spring not being tight enough, and/or the extractor tooth not being sharp enough, and about how easy it is to mess up either or both into a non-operational/dangerous firearm.

Got home and called Savage directly. The rep offered to USPS a new extractor and spring at no cost, though they can't explain the source of the malfunction.

Liking the Savage customer support. Not liking the FTE one bit.
    My 93 FV is having the same problem with CCI SV. Just started using it after I used up my Federal Gold. I decided to try stoning the inside edge of the extractor behind the hook. The extractor had a slight rib, maybe .003”. After stoning the rib flush, I cut a .010” x .25” piece of shim stock to fit the spring clip recess, and filed a slot to match the notch in the clip. I plan to test it out in a few days, but adding the shim seems to increase extractor tension a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the same problem with CCI but if I shoot RWS or SK no problem

Savage Mkii parts #32 Cartridge guide, #33 Extractor, and #33A Extractor spring clip just arrived from Westfield, MA. See https://www.savagearms.com/files/man...boltaction.pdf, pp. 18-19

Pulled the bolt, attached a .22 cleaning rod and plastic bore brush to a drill and gently cleaned the breech of all wax buildup. Cleaned the rest of the bore with patches and swab.

Going to run the bone stock parts with some CCI SV until it works or fails.
    Shoot 'lizbeth. Shoot! - Troy Landry

No joy on the range today. FTE resumed on shot #9. Fired all 50 rounds and divided the casings into ejected/FTE groups. Lets see if I can reverse engineer this thing because my feewings are huht weawwy weawwy bad.

The good news is the CCI SV shoots tight groups if you want to play single shot all day long.
    Shoot 'lizbeth. Shoot! - Troy Landry

Another thought on MK2 extraction.
    Noodled some more on spring clip tension and started rummaging through my parts pile. Found several fuel line hose clips, which can be modified to fit over the spring clip.

Held the hose clip in a pliers and ground equal material off each side until it fit the spring clip recess. Then straightened out the tab ends and inserted it over the spring clip, marking where the bolt flats and extractor/bullet guides are. Then removed the hose clip, cut it off on both sides where the bolt flat marks were, filed slots for the extractor and the bullet guide and re-installed on the bolt.

Used a Swiss file to clean up the ends of the hose clip flush with the bolt flats.

Rifle feeds, extracts and ejects very well. This really adds tension to the extractor.

Back from the range today. Put 200 rounds of CCI SV through my M93 with no ejection problems. Looks like the fuel line clamp mods work well.

I am no expert, but mine failed to extract until totally cleaned. Theses guns wont suffer much fouling and the lead bullets have a lot of coating on many brands. I scrubbed the barrel (chamber) in front of the bolt and cleaned it thoroughly and it right back to perfect ejection. A few passes with Hoppes and a dry swab did it. Mine fouled within fifty rounds. At the range similar experience with other Savage shooters of rimfire bolt actions. I only speak for myself.

@MCscout

What is the fuel line clamp mod?

Jester

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast