Thread: New to Savage Bolt Actions, want one to re-barrel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New to Savage Bolt Actions, want one to re-barrel

As stated above, I am new to Savage bolt action rifles. I am looking for recommendations for one to re-barrel for my daughter to use. I will be chambering it in 357AR, which is a straight wall 35 caliber wildcat round based on the 5.56 NATO case (which Winchester recently copied for their 350 Legend). She shoots this cartridge really well already in an AR platform, so I am wanting to put together a lighter weight hunting rifle for her. The AR build is 7.75 lbs complete ready to hunt, hoping to shave of a pound or so on the rifle to make the overall package lighter for her (she is under 95 lbs herself).

Ideally it will have started life as a .223 sized bolt face from the factory. Is there a particular model I should be looking for? I would prefer a detachable magazine for it, since it may be easier to modify to get the feeding of the straight wall cartridge right, but I would consider a fixed magazine style also.

Basic Member
    Get a Savage Axis in .223. That is what I'm doing for a 6.5 Grendel build (also an AR cartridge originally). They come with a detachable mag and are lightweight. Get an Axis II if you like the Accu-Trigger. Get an original Axis if you are going to replace the trigger with an aftermarket one. Both Axis versions have a two position safety.

If you want a three position safety, then get a Savage 10 or 12 in .223. You will probably pay more though than you would for an Axis unless you get one with a blind mag.

Much as I hate to say it, you'd probably be better off just buying a new Winchester XPR chambered for the .350 Legend or rework the AR with some lighter weight components to get the weight down. At $549 MSRP the street price the base model Winchester XPR should probably be around $450-475. By the time you buy a Savage donor rifle and an aftermarket barrel you'll have more than that wrapped up in it, and then you'll still have to get it to feed reliably which will be a chore. Savage's centerfeed magazine boxes have a big dimple in the sides to support the neck of the stacked rounds which is going to cause problems with a straight walled case.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Much as I hate to say it, you'd probably be better off just buying a new Winchester XPR chambered for the .350 Legend or rework the AR with some lighter weight components to get the weight down. At $549 MSRP the street price the base model Winchester XPR should probably be around $450-475. By the time you buy a Savage donor rifle and an aftermarket barrel you'll have more than that wrapped up in it, and then you'll still have to get it to feed reliably which will be a chore. Savage's centerfeed magazine boxes have a big dimple in the sides to support the neck of the stacked rounds which is going to cause problems with a straight walled case.
    Agreed. Unless of course you are just looking for a project.

If you are just looking for a project and money is not an issue you might look at a Savage 11 Lightweight Hunter in .223. From Savage, "The Model 11 Lightweight Hunter offers a compact, flyweight design perfect for long hauls or tight quarters, without sacrificing Savage Arms'™ hallmark accuracy and reliability. Weighing just 5.5 pounds, the short-action rifle features user-adjustable AccuTrigger™ technology for fine-tuning trigger pull. Relief cuts in the receiver, a spiral-fluted bolt, lightweight contour barrel and material removed from the fore-end keep weight to a minimum. Blending style and function, the 20-inch, carbon steel barrel is button rifled with astriking oil-finish, American walnut stock. It's drilled and tapped for scope mounts, with detachable 4-round box magazine." They are pretty pricey but I don't know your budget or if you even have a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by scootergisme View Post
    If you are just looking for a project and money is not an issue you might look at a Savage 11 Lightweight Hunter in .223. From Savage, "The Model 11 Lightweight Hunter offers a compact, flyweight design perfect for long hauls or tight quarters, without sacrificing Savage Arms'™ hallmark accuracy and reliability. Weighing just 5.5 pounds, the short-action rifle features user-adjustable AccuTrigger™ technology for fine-tuning trigger pull. Relief cuts in the receiver, a spiral-fluted bolt, lightweight contour barrel and material removed from the fore-end keep weight to a minimum. Blending style and function, the 20-inch, carbon steel barrel is button rifled with astriking oil-finish, American walnut stock. It's drilled and tapped for scope mounts, with detachable 4-round box magazine." They are pretty pricey but I don't know your budget or if you even have a budget.
    That would be a nice option if I could find one for a reasonable price.

I would be more likely to rework the AR than give Winchester a dime (bastards could at least admit that they stole the idea). Already have 1000 pieces of brass for the 357AR, and several good loads worked up. MDWS is who made the 357AR barrel for my AR, they also make Savage pre-fits and can chamber it for 357AR and thread the muzzle for suppressor use. Modifying the mags shouldn't be too difficult, but if it turns out to be, I could use the CDI bottom metal and a new magazine.