Not sure where to post this, but I guess a shooting range is an accessory (although a big one). Mods, please move if this fits better somewhere else.

I have a cabin on 40 acres a few minutes from my house. It is about 5 miles from the Canadian border. Most of the land around me is timber, state or uninhabited private land. The land is on a hill side and steep in most spots (4wd needed year round). Near the cabin is a ravine that is exactly 105 yards long. You would have to shoot your rifle like you were trying to take down an airliner in order for a stray bullet to get out of there. While it is too short for any long range shooting, 100 yards is great for shotguns, pistols, rimfire and sighting in your hunting rifle. My neighbor has multiple fields where we can get over 1,000 yards, but it would be nice to have my own dedicated spot for most of the shooting that I do. Right now you need snow shoes to get to it, but this spring and summer I want to get it all set up.

My question is, how should I set it up? My initial thought is a covered shooting bench on the far end, so it would be 100 yards from the rifle to the target at the base of the mountain. What about mid range steel targets for rimfire and pistol? Or what about shotgun stations? I'd like to make it easy to chronograph at different distances as well. Any ideas from the group? What have you guys found to be useful and handy? If you could set up your own 100 yard range, how would you do it?