Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many firearms do you usually take to the range?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How many firearms do you usually take to the range?

So how many firearms do you usually take to the range.
    I have been known to grab a couple too many on several occasions and wound up running out of time for the things I wanted to accomplish while I'm there.
    I've also regretted having to do so much cleaning as I can be somewhat meticulous when cleaning.
    Lately I've been trying to limit it to about 3 rifles and a sidearm for a full day of shooting and using a cart to carry everything to and from the line. So how many do you guys take?
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

My range is close (my brother-in-laws pasture 3 miles away) so I only take one. Getting a rifle ready to go shoot is like getting a baby ready to go to grandma's for the week. How do you like shooting at a range with others around?

Basic Member
    Usually too many. Like you I don't usually get a chance to shoot them all.

Quote Originally Posted by scootergisme View Post
    My range is close (my brother-in-laws pasture 3 miles away) so I only take one. Getting a rifle ready to go shoot is like getting a baby ready to go to grandma's for the week. How do you like shooting at a range with others around?
    I usually shoot at a range on a Wildlife Management Area run by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. It's maybe 45 miles away. It's really nice and has plenty of safety features, nice benches,blocks, target stands, etc thanks to money generated by WMA user fees (Hunting/Fishing licenses and day use fees) It doesn't cost me any more than my sportsmans license I'm going to buy anyway. There are several really helpful and watchful range officers on site and I actually like meeting other like minded folks there. There always seems to be some nice firearms to check out and nice folks as well as things to shoot that I may not have a chance to check out or shoot otherwise. as a group, no one there puts up with foolishness or unsafe behavior.
    We have a couple of tracts of land to shoot on that are further away where we can shoot tannerite FFA items and when they were legal play with bump stocks etc., But there's definitely something positive about having a clear, flat range set up close by and ready to go when you arrive.
    I also usually make a full day of it and since my schedule is often flexible I'll be there mid week when there are usually only a couple of other older guys with flexible schedules hanging out.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I usually only take 2 maybe 3 depending on caliber. My range is the local Police range that has rifle (50 up to 200 yds), shotgun, archery and pistol (8 up to 50 yds). Since I go alone, I don't plan to spend a day there. There are several other members that come in together with their paper punchers and make a day of it (shoot a shot, drink a cup of coffee, smoke a cigarette, and repeat, I forgot BS with the buddies). With rifles I'll run 10 or 20 per rifle and call it a day. I don't play around with bullets/primers/powder/cases. I reloaded ammo that would put meat on the table (90% of my kills were one shot). Some of the other members at the range do bother me but then they are mostly "shooters" and I am a "hunter". And they pay their dues just like I do.

Basic Member
    If doing load workups then 3 rifles seem to be enough. Plus maybe I bring an AR on the side to make some noise while the others are cooling off :-)

I take two rifles and a hand gun just in case the rifle range closed if we don’t have a RO on duty
    Savage TH in .223 & 308, VT .308, BVSS 223
    Philf

Basic Member
    The number of firearms I bring to a range session is usually limited only by the number I feel like cleaning afterwards.

On two occasions, I've brought my 870 with a cable padlock through the loading and ejection ports... but no key. The first time it happened, I thought, "I'm cutting that thing off." Well... the lock won out, and I gained a new appreciation for its security.
    Model 10 FCP-SR | Vortex Viper PST | Schuler Brake

Basic Member
    I usually take between 2 and 4. No more than 2 rifles unless there is something special going on (zeroing in scopes).
    I will shoot one rifle then switch to the next and shoot it while the first one cools. Most of the time I am trying out new loads (either different bullets, powder, or charge weights).
    I will most of the time take at least one pistol too.

Basic Member
    Same. I’m about three rifles and a handgun. I’m lucky if I shoot everything.

Basic Member
    I try to keep it to no more than 3 so I can spend some time with each.

3 today. An AR15 I just swapped barrels on, my 6x47 Lapua that I was sighting in a new scope on, and my 10/22 to plink around with while the other two were cooling down.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

3 to 4 if I'm going to one of the local ranges a lot more if I'm going to one of the farms I have access to, but that's few and far between since the closest on is 6 hours away.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Usually 2-3 make the trip, rarely more than 5.

Basic Member
    1 gun to shoot. The 2nd goes down range , just encase someone tries to steal the other one on the bench.

State Range- Guy shooting alone. Checks target at 100 yards. While down range, a guy comes up over the bank, grabs rifle and jumps into waiting car below.

I take 1 handgun and 1 rifle, or just 1 and do I thing at the range.

I shot next to a younger gentleman who brought his family (mother, girl friend) etc, he brought 13 plus weapons with drum mags etc, he was the probably the entire day, my buddy and I had fun shooting some of his guns.

Yeap, left magazines, left ammo, left targets, heck I left my range access key card at home and home is 25 miles one way :-)
    newbie from gr, mi.

I was taking two (Bersa.22 and Beretta 92FS handguns) but once they open I will be taking four, the two mentioned earlier and my new Ruger 22/45 and the Savage 110.

I usually bring 3 to 4 on average. Usually a couple of 22 rifles Im tinkering with as well as my Ruger 22/45 which always comes along. If its Sunday I bring the shotgun along for some skeet and spend half the day there.
    Don’t sell your guns!

Basic Member
    Usually 3. I am a member at a private range where we can shoot paper to 300 and steel from 400 to 600. Always enjoy meeting like minded people and don't have to put up with the sometimes dangerous general public at the public ranges.

Basic Member
    as many as I can pack in the truck...

Basic Member
    3, my carry, the emergency & the one I shoot.

5 to 7 . This gives some time to cool off and you can still shoot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually 2 or 3 rifles and as many pistols. Cycle through them while letting barrels cool.
    Jester

Basic Member
    I once made the mistake of bringing almost all to the range . . . . .NEVER AGAIN!!!

Took two days to clean them all! (Can’t abide a dirty firearm!)

Now take a maximum of TWO!

Quote Originally Posted by JimFsh View Post
    I once made the mistake of bringing almost all to the range . . . . .NEVER AGAIN!!!

Took two days to clean them all! (Can’t abide a dirty firearm!)

Now take a maximum of TWO!
    I have made that same mistake a time or two.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast