Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many firearms do you usually take to the range?

How many firearms do you usually take to the range?

So how many firearms do you usually take to the range.
    I have been known to grab a couple too many on several occasions and wound up running out of time for the things I wanted to accomplish while I'm there.
    I've also regretted having to do so much cleaning as I can be somewhat meticulous when cleaning.
    Lately I've been trying to limit it to about 3 rifles and a sidearm for a full day of shooting and using a cart to carry everything to and from the line. So how many do you guys take?
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

My range is close (my brother-in-laws pasture 3 miles away) so I only take one. Getting a rifle ready to go shoot is like getting a baby ready to go to grandma's for the week. How do you like shooting at a range with others around?

Basic Member
    Usually too many. Like you I don't usually get a chance to shoot them all.

Quote Originally Posted by scootergisme View Post
    My range is close (my brother-in-laws pasture 3 miles away) so I only take one. Getting a rifle ready to go shoot is like getting a baby ready to go to grandma's for the week. How do you like shooting at a range with others around?
    I usually shoot at a range on a Wildlife Management Area run by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. It's maybe 45 miles away. It's really nice and has plenty of safety features, nice benches,blocks, target stands, etc thanks to money generated by WMA user fees (Hunting/Fishing licenses and day use fees) It doesn't cost me any more than my sportsmans license I'm going to buy anyway. There are several really helpful and watchful range officers on site and I actually like meeting other like minded folks there. There always seems to be some nice firearms to check out and nice folks as well as things to shoot that I may not have a chance to check out or shoot otherwise. as a group, no one there puts up with foolishness or unsafe behavior.
    We have a couple of tracts of land to shoot on that are further away where we can shoot tannerite FFA items and when they were legal play with bump stocks etc., But there's definitely something positive about having a clear, flat range set up close by and ready to go when you arrive.
    I also usually make a full day of it and since my schedule is often flexible I'll be there mid week when there are usually only a couple of other older guys with flexible schedules hanging out.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I usually only take 2 maybe 3 depending on caliber. My range is the local Police range that has rifle (50 up to 200 yds), shotgun, archery and pistol (8 up to 50 yds). Since I go alone, I don't plan to spend a day there. There are several other members that come in together with their paper punchers and make a day of it (shoot a shot, drink a cup of coffee, smoke a cigarette, and repeat, I forgot BS with the buddies). With rifles I'll run 10 or 20 per rifle and call it a day. I don't play around with bullets/primers/powder/cases. I reloaded ammo that would put meat on the table (90% of my kills were one shot). Some of the other members at the range do bother me but then they are mostly "shooters" and I am a "hunter". And they pay their dues just like I do.

Basic Member
    If doing load workups then 3 rifles seem to be enough. Plus maybe I bring an AR on the side to make some noise while the others are cooling off :-)

I take two rifles and a hand gun just in case the rifle range closed if we don’t have a RO on duty
    Savage TH in .223 & 308, VT .308, BVSS 223
    Philf

Basic Member
    I have never shot at a real range other than basic training for Air Force in 1965. We have a 100 yard shooting bench set up in the field next to my house, so only take one at a time and sometimes two. As I am a hunter and don't reload my shooting is for zeroing or checking zero so not a lot of shooting at one time. Usually go by myself so no one bothers me but me, no one to tell me how to shoot. 73 and too old to change the way I do things, my way whether its right or wrong. LOL

Basic Member
    All of them :} I have a 50 foot pistol range and a 100 yard rifle range off my back deck
    Run until your heart bursts

Team Savage

Only the one I want to shoot as my range is 150' out my back door.

Depends on what I'm doing.

Once or twice a year I'll have what I call a "Handgun Day" where I drag out 5-6 pistols and blow through several hundred rounds of ammo with them. I'm not an avid pistol shooter and rarely have a real hankering to shoot them, so these days are often the only time they get shot anymore.

If I'm doing load development for a centerfire rifle or doing accuracy testing for a review gun I'll generally take that firearm and a rimfire rifle - the latter so I have something to do while waiting for the other rifle's barrel to cool off.

If I'm going just for a fun day I'll typically take 4-6 rifles with me, mostly my lever guns and/or rimfires, a suitable varmint gun for "targets of opportunity," and maybe one of my AR's just to mix things up a little.

If I'm running out to do a quick function test or sight-in a new scope I'll usually just take the one.

Unfortunately we can't do aerial targets at my local range due tot he close proximity of neighbors so no shooting clays with the shotguns.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I'm very lucky, the range I get to use is on my friends property across the road. he has pistol, rifle and a 5 station trap range. I usually take the one I want to shoot at the moment, then run across to the house to switch if need be. I was also blessed with a wonderful wife that let me get a golf cart because it was to much trouble to put everything in the truck just to cross the road. I keep a plastic tote in the bag well on the cart with my sand bags, targets, a selection of ammo, a range finder, and other assorted range toys, and just run across when I get a little time.

Quote Originally Posted by gunwhatgun View Post
    I'm very lucky, the range I get to use is on my friends property across the road. he has pistol, rifle and a 5 station trap range. I usually take the one I want to shoot at the moment, then run across to the house to switch if need be. I was also blessed with a wonderful wife that let me get a golf cart because it was to much trouble to put everything in the truck just to cross the road. I keep a plastic tote in the bag well on the cart with my sand bags, targets, a selection of ammo, a range finder, and other assorted range toys, and just run across when I get a little time.
    Most people don't know this but golf carts were actually made for toting your shooting equipment to the range. They should be called gun carts!

Most people don't know this but golf carts were actually made for toting your shooting equipment to the range. They should be called gun carts!
    It's funny that you say that. We call ours the "WAR WAGON". You're right, they really are perfect. The best part is, it is so much easier to just drive down and check my groups rather than set up a spotting scope.

Great name for your gun cart and a great John Wayne movie also!

Basic Member
    If they were called gun carts, there would be a 3 day waiting period to buy one, a background check, it would have to be registered. In some states, seating would be limited. You would not be able drive them in some states, become a felon if you crossed state lines in others.

I am thinking: My rifles will now be called golf clubs. The drivers will be all my long range rifles. My lever action and open sight guns my chippers or wedges. My putting irons will be my pistols. We will then load up the golf cart :}
    Run until your heart bursts

Team Savage
    Maybe 2 or 3 at the most. Usually go with something in mind. Like checking accuracy of my loads or sorting out a new round. One thing I always have to remember: "Make sure you have the ammo for each rig you bring". Been known to leave ammo at home.
    When I get bug holes, I'am done with that rig.
    Bring too many rifles and you don't concentrate on what you went to the range for.
    Use to meet my shooting buddy (brother from another Mother) at the range early in the AM, shoot a load of ammo then go do lunch together. He's an hour and a half away so now we'll meet half way for coffee when we can. He has medical issues so we don't even do that anymore. Things REALLY need to change. Been at least a year since I've fired a round. LOTS of rifle building but no shooting.
    I'll repeat, things REALLY need to change.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    Maybe 2 or 3 at the most. Usually go with something in mind. Like checking accuracy of my loads or sorting out a new round. One thing I always have to remember: "Make sure you have the ammo for each rig you bring". Been known to leave ammo at home.
    When I get bug holes, I'am done with that rig.
    Bring too many rifles and you don't concentrate on what you went to the range for.
    Use to meet me shooting buddy (brother from another Mother) at the range early in the AM, shoot a load of ammo then go do lunch together. He's an hour and a half away so now we'll meet half way for coffee when we can. He has medical issues so we don't even do that anymore. Things REALLY need to change. Been at least a year since I've fired a round. LOTS of rifle building but no shooting.
    I'll repeat, things REALLY need to change.
    Don't think I've ever forgot my ammo, but at least 2-3 times I year I manage to leave the detachable magazine(s) for a rifle or rifles at home. I'm fortunate that I only live about a mile from the range as the crow flies, but still sucks to have to pack everything back up, run home, then go back and unpack again.

On another note, did you get the PM I sent you last week?
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I usually take at least 2 rifles to make the trip worthwhile, 50 miles one way for me. I usually go 2x's a week weather permitting. I seldom take a handgun as I prefer the long guns myself. I do occasionally stop at the plinking range with a 22rf handgun and chase a golfball or water bottle around but seldom. I'm usually tweaking a load or working on a new load for a new purchase. Reloading gives me something to do on bad weather days, and I go to the range on good weather days.

Basic Member
    The number of firearms I bring to a range session is usually limited only by the number I feel like cleaning afterwards.

On two occasions, I've brought my 870 with a cable padlock through the loading and ejection ports... but no key. The first time it happened, I thought, "I'm cutting that thing off." Well... the lock won out, and I gained a new appreciation for its security.
    Model 10 FCP-SR | Vortex Viper PST | Schuler Brake

Basic Member
    I usually take between 2 and 4. No more than 2 rifles unless there is something special going on (zeroing in scopes).
    I will shoot one rifle then switch to the next and shoot it while the first one cools. Most of the time I am trying out new loads (either different bullets, powder, or charge weights).
    I will most of the time take at least one pistol too.

Basic Member
    Same. I’m about three rifles and a handgun. I’m lucky if I shoot everything.

Basic Member
    I try to keep it to no more than 3 so I can spend some time with each.

3 today. An AR15 I just swapped barrels on, my 6x47 Lapua that I was sighting in a new scope on, and my 10/22 to plink around with while the other two were cooling down.

3 to 4 if I'm going to one of the local ranges a lot more if I'm going to one of the farms I have access to, but that's few and far between since the closest on is 6 hours away.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast