Thread: Savage Model 1907 Pistol - Three Digit Serial - Excellent

Basic Member

Savage Model 1907 Pistol - Three Digit Serial - Excellent

First post here. Thanks for the fine venue.

I am a long time collector of military arms. And though the following pistol is not the 1907 US Trials or WWI French or Portuguese Military Contract, the commercial guns were derived from the military platform. I had wanted one of these artfully built pistols for a long time.

So, the opportunity arose last week in a multi-gun purchase. I just didn't realize what I had bought until I did some research.

It's a rare early example with all of the original features, and in uncommonly seen high condition. At serial number 902, it falls within the first 2000 units manufactured in 1908. Fewer than 1% of all Model 1907 where built in this configuration. And with such a small first production run, coupled with general attrition from wear, breakage, parting out and guns which were returned to Savage for upgrades, not many are left today with all of the following original early features:

- Steel Grips, replaced by hard rubber in 1910
    - Safety Lever with scalloped half-round thumb pad, replaced with checkered thumb pad in 1909
    - No Trigger Block Safety Bar or channel cut inside frame for bar, trigger block introduced by 1913
    - No "SAFE" and "FIRE" stamped on rear frame, introduced in 1910, "SAVAGE" stamp on left frame 1913
    - Early Barrel with thick lug, No Loaded Chamber Indicator, thinner lug in 1909, loaded indicator collar added 1913 to 1917
    - Early Frame with narrow and shallow cartridge feed ramp, wider and deeper ramp introduced in 1910
    - Early Slide with large lettering Address and more rounded ejection port, many later addresses and port design.
    - Rear Sight fitted in dovetail, later rear sight incorporated into slide 1912
    - Front Sight as blade insert, later forged as one with the slide
    - Early Hammer (cocking piece) with cog lugs, later with spur style
    - Mag Release operated from top of lever on front of grip strap, later located to bottom lever operation.
    - Magazine, only one mag catch hole at bottom of mag spine.
    - Serial Number located of bottom of frame in front of triggerguard, later on front face of frame
    - Matte metal texture with Rust Blue finish, later with mirrored high-polish and bright Rust Blue, then Charcoal Blue

I bought this from an aging Korean War Veteran. He stated that he bought this from a retired insurance salesman who carried it in an inside vest pocket, in the cool leather pocket holster shown below.

The above list does not cover the Military Trials pistol or the similar commercial Savage Models 1915 or 1917, nor the .380 acp caliber option. But it doesn't mean they are less interesting or important. So here are a few links to provide more information and historical perspective.

http://americansocietyofarmscollecto...081_Goulet.pdf

http://www.vintagepistols.com/1907/index.html

http://averagejoeshandgunreviews.blo...07-32-acp.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Model_1907

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9yX2nO-PxY

The 1907 US Military Trials in .45 acp (with video)

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/ear...ols/savage-45/

And a quick way to date your pistol. Just enter your serial number and submit.

http://www.savage99.com/savage32_dates.htm

Detailed pictures of Early Features will follow.

Basic Member
    As alluded in the previous post, the Savage Model 1907 was almost continually receiving design alterations, mechanical upgrades and cosmetic changes. I have listed over a dozen of the more important variables above, and there are more which I didn't list such as the fine-groove slide grip serrations on the latest models. Other changes are even more subtle.

But the following pictures should be a good start at identifying the earliest features of this iconic American pistol.

PLEASE!! I would invite those of you who have later pistols to take detailed pictures of your upgraded parts and features, and add them here. We have a good opportunity to create an excellent web reference for those who are surfing for information on their pocket pistol gems.

Also, if you would like me to provide specific pictures of other features, please ask!

SAVAGE MODEL 1907

Steel Grips with Savage Logo - Note the TRADE MARK on the headdress band

Safety Lever with scalloped pad. Up - safety on. Down - safety off. Note recess in grip
    No "FIRE" or "SAFE"

No channel cut inside left frame for Trigger Block Safety Bar

Early Barrel with thick lug, no collar with Loaded Chamber Indicator

Early Frame with shallow feed ramp

Early Slide Address and Ejection Port - Note missing portions of lettering from very worn die

Rear Sight in dovetail cut. Note large lug slide grip serrations
    Early Hammer (cocking piece) with cog lugs

Basic Member
    (rear sight and hammer continued)

Early Mag Release and Magazine - Note only one mag catch hole on lower spine

Front Sight - half moon blade insert

Early Serial Number location - Note Trademark (or inspection?) stamp on front of frame

Rust Blue Finish, not high polished - Note fire case coloring of trigger

I hope you enjoyed, and thanks for looking.

That's a heck of a nice Pocket Pistol you got yourself there! The condition is amazing given it's 110 years old.

Our pistol collector crowd here seems to come and go, but we've had a few military trials models find their way into the hands of people here. Lots of good information available on these now that Bailey Browner Jr's book on the Savage pistols has been published.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member

Just bought one this afternoon...

Just bought a Savage M 1907 this afternoon, not nearly as pristine, nor as early...
    SN, on the front of the frame, is 178440.

Gutta Percha grips about perfect, frame shows wear and some surface pitting, cocking piece is round and knurled.safety lever head is oval and knurled, rear sight is part of the slide, as is the front blade sight.
    Traces of case hardening color remain on the trigger.

IMO, still a handy and useful pistol...

Asking price was $325...it had been sitting at a local shop for over a year...Traded 2 no longer wanted long guns and

$120 cash for it, out the door. VERY glad to have it...I bought one in 2007, foolishly sold it. I'm keeping this one for however long I have left at age 71.

These pistols display wonderful design and craftsmanship, like nothing made today at any price.

Recommended by Bat Masterson, too.

Thanks!

MS

Added...the recoil spring is really STRONG!
    Last edited by dogngun; 03-01-2019 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Corrected SN.

Basic Member
    Thanks dogngun,

I didn't realize that the front sight was also made integral with the slide, post-1913. Thanks for the information.

And I have found that the recoil spring is actually quite standard for a semi-auto blowback pistol. But it is the striker spring which is extremely stout. If the striker is cocked first, then the slide moves much more easily.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by martin08 View Post

Early Serial Number location - Note Trademark (or inspection?) stamp on front of frame

Nice addition!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Very nice. Thanks for the pictures and information.

Most Excellent Posting, Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by martin08 View Post

most excellent posting. ei8ht