Thread: 30-06 Barrel Question

Basic Member

Question 30-06 Barrel Question

Did Savage ever produce a 110 Series/Standard Shank 30-06 rifle with a heavy-ish barrel 24 inches or longer? Unfortunately for my wallet, a forum member who shall remain nameless has planted a seed about building an '06. Before a well-intentioned moderator banishes me from the site for starting a thread that looks suspiciously like a WTB post I want to say that's not what this is. I don't know if what I might want even exists and when I am sufficiently educated AND IF I decide that I want to proceed with a build I will post a want ad in the appropriate place. Thank you in advance for any information you are able to share!

Quote Originally Posted by hnts4fun View Post
    Did Savage ever produce a 110 Series/Standard Shank 30-06 rifle with a heavy-ish barrel 24 inches or longer? Unfortunately for my wallet, a forum member who shall remain nameless has planted a seed about building an '06. Before a well-intentioned moderator banishes me from the site for starting a thread that looks suspiciously like a WTB post I want to say that's not what this is. I don't know if what I might want even exists and when I am sufficiently educated AND IF I decide that I want to proceed with a build I will post a want ad in the appropriate place. Thank you in advance for any information you are able to share!
    Well sir, I can't help you with the question of did they ever make one, but with the aftermarket of Savage Prefit barrels that are available today, why not just have one made for you. Heavy sporter or a light varmint contour sounds like what you may be looking for.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/b...terion-savage/

Basic Member
    Good answer, and a reasonable one at that. I'm wondering if Savage ever produced a heavier and longer barrel than their sporter offering so I'd know if there was a pool of take off barrels floating around. I have built a 260 Remington using one of NSS's heavier and longer stainless steel barrels which was scary accurate. I love working with Jim. Just looking for options is all.

Basic Member
    bisongunworksllc on “eee” bay has a chromoly 25-inch varmint contour - Unfinished. For more $$ he will finish it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Thanks Shagerott. Has Savage ever produced a 30/06 rifle with a longer/heavier barrel than their sporter barrels?
    Thanks in advance.

Basic Member
    I have never seen one, cause if they did I would own it. I could be wrong but don't think so.
    savge 10 fp shooter

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdm25150 View Post
    I have never seen one, cause if they did I would own it. I could be wrong but don't think so.
    Thanks much!

Basic Member
    Sure they did...back in the early 2000's. It was the 112 BVSS 30-06 with a 26" varmint contour barrel. Probably not a lot of them floating around though...
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Basic Member

30-06 Barrel Question

I haven’t seen one. Looked around for Savage projects. All the used factory 30-06 were sporter contour from what I found over the past 10 years or so. BVSS must be rare.

Was the BVSS a single shot?

110FP was offered in .30-06 with a 24" heavy barrel in the early 2000's
    112FVSS was offered in .30-06 with a 26" fluted heavy barrel in the early 2000's
    112BVSS was offered in .30-06 with a 26" fluted heavy barrel in the early 2000's.

All blind mag repeaters. Single-shots versions of the 112FVSS and BVSS were only offered in .300 Win Mag.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

116 FLCSAK from the mid to late 1990s came with a stainless "medium contour"? (my words, not sure what they called it maybe a "magnum" contour?) barrel that was a good bit heavier than a standard sporter. It was not tapered behind the brake like the sporters.
    It was listed as 22" but that included the adjustable brake, It also featured a straight fluted design. Maybe not longer but certainly heavier than a sporter. Dang thing shoots like a house on fire and has fired a one ragged hole best group of 10 shots into .446" @100 yards with Sierra Game Kings. Here's a pic of a standard sporter with the adjustable brake. note the taper.

and then the 116FLCSAK with no taper behind the brake I believe it's 3/4" at the muzzle
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 03-03-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Thanks to all who contributed!